OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2008, 14:36 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

tatlwai wrote:
When the tournament director asked me what was my rating, I told him I don't know, probably between 1800 and 1850, he placed me down as 1850. - That's about just right. I estimated you in low 1900.

I was in shock, I really didn't expect to play in the No. 1 table in my first real match in over 15 years. There were too many spectators sitting on the bench. - It's you and the guy on the other side of the table. Don't pay ateention to spectators......FOCUS!!!

Anyway, I didn't win any matches at all, however, I do know what I have to do between now and the next few round robins - improve my forehand blocking and hitting with consistency. My forehand was not effective, too tentative and missing easy balls. - You got some good information to improve your game!!!

Anyway, tonight's scores were something like the following:
Against 2065: 6-11, 8-11 and 5-11.
Against 2030: 7-11, 11-4, 8-11 and 8-11.
Against 1830: 9-11, 12-10, 8-11 and 7-11.

Anyway, now that I thought about it, I didn't play that bad. I had fun, real hot, exhausted but had fun. And best of all, I know what I have to do next. That's all you need now....have fun and know what to fix. I don't think my next trip to SD will be any easy!!!
Tat

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2008, 23:34 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
With how close you were to the 1830 rated person, I'd say you aren't too far off from being 1850 or 1900. The thing is, you just need more tournament experience. It really is a different thing to play at a certain level in a tournament than it is to play at a certain level in practice/club play. I've seen people who have a 200 or 300 point difference in their level of play. With the things you know you have to work on, and more tournament experience, you'll be over 1900 in no time.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2008, 00:16 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
Thank you for the comments and encouragements. AS hookshot was saying, when is the next one? :)

Tat

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2008, 00:50 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

OK, guys/gals, questions regarding warm ups during a match, forehand is fine with me but I use LP on my backhand, what should I do?

Forehand to forehand is fine but I have problems from backhand side. I did the following but I was not comfortable at all.

1. I stepped to my backhand side to use my forehand to their backhand.

2. I flipped the blade and use SP on backhand, but screwed up the blade angles and the ball was flying.

3. I used LP to drive with them but then I gave up my secretes.

4. I chopped with LP and they lost interest.

Questions are:
1. Can I chop on FH and BH during warm ups? I guess the reason I chop sometimes is I can't drive the ball consistently as some of you do. My training partners and I don't warm up like that.

3. What can a LP player do during warm ups?

Thanks,
Tat

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2008, 05:26 
Super User

This can be an annoyingly complex issue. I'll start with recommending that you just hit your forehand short pips to their backhand in most situations, and if they specifically ask to see the long pips then you either chop or drive with them.

The rules do not require that you warm up; you are allowed two minutes, but you can refuse. Personally i don't really care, the two minute warm up period is useless to me. I usually ask my opponent if they're ready to start right away, and if they want to warm up i'll do whatever they want me to do (within reason - i'm not going to wear myself out counterlooping for them).

Now, in your club round robin, since you joined the club and will be playing them a lot, i'm guessing you want it to be friendly and beneficial competition rather than cutthroat life or death battles. You may have an advantage in the match if you hide your secrets in the beginning, but you'll benefit more when you show people all of your shots, let them learn what they're like, and consequently learn how to beat them even after they're very familiar with your game. It just makes you stronger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2008, 06:02 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Thanks for the advise, I guess I'll do what pleases me the most but not too annoying to them.

You are right, after last night, they already know I attack with my LP. By the end of each match, even the serves and most of the returned balls were all directed to my forehand, very annoying indeed.

I think in the past, I have concentrated so much on my back hand LP plays I have ignored my forehand, especially I have switched invert to SP on the forehand side. Now, I do need some more balance on both sides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2008, 08:22 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Wow Tat, you stacked up pretty well. Sorry I missed this until now. I have been exercising all day here. I can see your level of excitement and zeal to go back at 'em. I am happy you had a banner day of fun. I'll keep looking for the stories.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2008, 10:19 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Thanks, Der_E, I had just completed 4 hours straight robot training on forehand including,

1. FH service returns - short top/side spins, short side/under spins, long top/side spins.

2. BH service returns - long fast top/side spins, short side/under spins.

3. Hit a lot of forehand for warm ups.

4. Standing 2.5' back, chopping and hitting on both sides with feeder head oscillating. Backhand chopping and hitting is still a lot more consistent, FH sure needs practice more.

5. Serves on fh side with SP and LP, practice twiddling after serves. So difficult, my index ginger is always a problem. However, I did have some free points when I served with LP on FH side last night. They looped and out they go.

Thinking out loud of asking for help from a coach (but don't want to pay $80 per hour yet) and see what he can help. I think I am almost there, just lacking some important ingredients. TT is getting excited again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2008, 10:58 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

kagin wrote:
...when you show people all of your shots, let them learn what they're like, and consequently learn how to beat them even after they're very familiar with your game.

The road to continuous improvement. Someone wins, someone improves, beat the other guy, the other guy... :D

Of course it gets exciting -- tangible improvement is always exciting. Glad you're enjoying yourself. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2008, 14:59 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Here is Thursday night again and I played my second club round robin. Since most of the top players are back in town (most went to Las Vegas for the US Open) and I rating now dropped to 1830, so I had the pleasure of playing in table 2, at the bottom. Top player is a 15 year old kid that I played last week and lost 1-3; they other two were different players but one is a 1980 and the other is 1858.

Since I missed a lot of easy forehands last week using SP, I have switched to invert starting late yesterday using Tackfire 1.7 in forehand, back hand being FeintSoft 1.3 with my favorite blade, R*1. Still missing forehand but I think I will do better with practice to get back to form.

I have never missed so many balls in backhand erving, I have counted roughly 10. :cry: I missed two against the top seed when I was serving 10-8 consecutively. I think the nerve just gets to me. I lost to him 1-3 again, very close match, I should have won. Oh well, my second true matches after 15 years, so close and yet so far.

The other two matches were one sided in the first two games, I just can't return balls. BH is correct, there goes two points already. By the time I figured out their serves in the third game, it was too late, however, the third games for both matches were went to dues and lost.

Am I sad? Of course not, I just need more match experience playing different kind of players and I think joining the club and playing the weekly round robins against players better than me will get me there faster.

Question? Why do you think I missed so many balls when serving? Some were served out, some just painfully missing the blade. Two balls like that in a game is way too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2008, 04:59 
Super User

tatlwai wrote:
Question? Why do you think I missed so many balls when serving? Some were served out, some just painfully missing the blade. Two balls like that in a game is way too much.

How much serving practice do you get? I think you mentioned in another thread that you are practicing about a thousand balls a day. If that's true, what's the difference between your practice serves and your game serves? Are the differences technical or is it just a matter of nerves?

I know for me, who has very little experience playing in a club round robin tournament, just being able to get a serve over the net is an accomplishment given the nerves that I am suffering from. Pure experience is the best cure for this. After your tenth round robin down at SDTTA you will probably be having a very different experience.

Saviga V 0.6

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2008, 08:40 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Glueless wrote:
tatlwai wrote:

How much serving practice do you get? I think you mentioned in another thread that you are practicing about a thousand balls a day. If that's true, what's the difference between your practice serves and your game serves? Are the differences technical or is it just a matter of nerves?

I know for me, who has very little experience playing in a club round robin tournament, just being able to get a serve over the net is an accomplishment given the nerves that I am suffering from. Pure experience is the best cure for this. After your tenth round robin down at SDTTA you will probably be having a very different experience.

After 15 years of not competing and the last Thursday, they put me in the first table and this last Thursday, I was in the second table, I think it most probably the nerves and the atmosphere of competing got to me. Remember that I have always played in my garage, my rules and my own table. I can always blame the lighting, the bounce of the table, the people walking around, the interruptions after 2 or 3 balls, etc, but these are just excuses, I know I can do better than that.

Well, George came over just now and he help me block and hit mostly my weak forehand, and my serve returns. I am going to ballroom dance party tonight in about 2 hours, I hope I won't be too tire tomorrow because the +60 singles starts at 9 AM, +50 singles starts at 1 PM and Open Singles at 2 PM.

If I can get some videos of the matches, I will, otherwise, I will just report how I did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2008, 11:35 
Super User

Good luck tomorrow, Tat!

Saviga V 0.6

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2008, 12:18 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I always like to warm up, if I can, at the start of the day by just hitting serves with nobody on the other side, so that I can watch where it's landing and what kind of spin I'm getting on the ball. It really helps me to get a feel for the ball, table, and the touch that is needed on the serve, and helps me to hone my serves before going on to a traditional warm-up with another player.

I think that I always play better if I play a practice game or match before my first event as well. It gets me in the serve/return of serve mind-set. If you just warm up by counter driving and looping, you don't get the feel for "real" points.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2008, 14:34 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

dwruck wrote:
I always like to warm up, if I can, at the start of the day by just hitting serves with nobody on the other side, so that I can watch where it's landing and what kind of spin I'm getting on the ball. It really helps me to get a feel for the ball, table, and the touch that is needed on the serve, and helps me to hone my serves before going on to a traditional warm-up with another player.

I think that I always play better if I play a practice game or match before my first event as well. It gets me in the serve/return of serve mind-set. If you just warm up by counter driving and looping, you don't get the feel for "real" points.

Good idea, I can practice serving a little before I drive down to the club tomorrow. Once there, I don't think I will be able to warm up with anybody unless Bill U decided to warm up and hit a few balls with me. Other than Bill, I really don't know anybody in the tournament. I am nobody yet.

Anyway, I am going to have some fun tomorrow, and hopefully not too nervous. No matter what, it is another first for me in a long while. I have been watching my son compete in tennis matches throughout his junior and college years (from 8 to 21), and now it is my turn to compete in table tennis. Well, watching is really cheating because I was so nervous I let my wife watch and I peek at the score sometimes and when he won, I jump out to congratulate him.

I can tell you though, my son is a lot better than me in tennis than I ever will be in table tennis.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next