OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 09 May 2024, 01:29

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2008, 14:32 
Super User

While it wasn't a tournament, I can completely relate to having a terrible evening.

I got to go down to Denver again this week and play at one of the clubs and had what was probably one of my worst nights ever! I couldn't hit the table to save my life. :lol:

Actually, it was a great lesson for me as I really got to see one of my primary weaknesses: My inability to read and adapt to changing spin.

I am so used to playing loopers who pretty much give me a consistent amount of topspin that when I play somebody like this Czechoslovakian player that I played the last couple of times I've been at this club, who varies from full on topspin to completely dead balls, I'm absolutely worthless.

Saviga V 0.6

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2008, 15:07 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
GL, did you to the Aurora club? I did my first tourney there. Kenny is at that club.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2008, 15:44 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

I'll be in Denver 4/17-22/09!!!!!!

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2008, 06:00 
Super User

Der_Echte wrote:
GL, did you to the Aurora club? I did my first tourney there. Kenny is at that club.

I have played at the Aurora club, actually. Several weeks ago. Didn't meet anyone named Kenny. :-)

Saviga V 0.6

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2008, 06:02 
Super User

Bogeyhunter wrote:

I won't!!!! :-)

Actually, in a couple of months I will be moving to MUCH more fertile table tennis ground. In mid-January I will be moving to Santa Cruz California (just "over the hill" from the Bay Area). Now I just need to figure out how to afford regular coaching...

Saviga V 0.6

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2008, 05:28 
Super User

i wish that there were that many table tennis venues and acess to coaches in my country!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2008, 22:18 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Glueless wrote:
Bogeyhunter wrote:

I won't!!!! :-)

Actually, in a couple of months I will be moving to MUCH more fertile table tennis ground. In mid-January I will be moving to Santa Cruz California (just "over the hill" from the Bay Area). Now I just need to figure out how to afford regular coaching...

Correct me if I'm wrong Mike, but that's a very long way to move isn't it? Like all the way across the country for you? And much sunnier skies yeah?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2008, 22:59 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Well, my rating fell from 1749 to 1648, the lowest it's been in about a year, since I gained over 100 points at last year's Killerspin Holiday tournament. I'm pretty disappointed, but I guess I shouldn't be terribly surprised, considering I switched from the Peacekeeper to the 802-1 short pips with just one practice session before the tourney.

I've got a tourney in Rockford, IL this Sunday and I'm playing the Killerspin again in a couple of weeks. I'm really hoping to get back into the mid-1700s after the ratings are processed from those two. I think if I don't see good results at those, it's back to long pips for me. But I've got a good feeling that I'm due for some nice wins and a mini breakthrough. As usual, I'll let you guys know how it goes, good, bad, or ugly.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2008, 23:05 
Reverend Reversal

Blade: Rendler Smart
FH: Hurricane 8 hard
BH: Grass DTechs OX
I just recently stumbled upon this thread--haven't been on here too much lately. I've been reading about Doug's dilemma. Doug, as we progress up the ratings ladder, we will hit those plateaus where we seem to stall out, and where tactics that once worked so well, don't work so well against better players who aren't fooled so easily anymore and know how to make the proper adjustments. Then we start going into the "maybe I should change equipment to elevate my game" thing. That's not all bad. While I know that there's no "magic" setup out there (one that replaces hard work and good technique), I do feel that only by trial and error will we find setups that are more favorable for the way we want to play the game. At the same time, every time we change our setup, we have to relearn things. After having tried to "hardwire" our brains into hitting a certain way, and then doing so out of simple reaction, and not thinking about it, and then trying to CHANGE...that can be tough, confusing to our brains, and take a lot of time to get things right. I say this, Doug, because I'm in almost the same situation. I had been playing well with my current setup, but got to thinking, "Maybe a different setup will get me farther." So I started experimenting with several kinds of pips, and they all hit slightly different from one another. Then, unfortunately, I tried playing in a tournament before I really got used to a new setup in all kinds of situations. I got my butt handed to me. Having played several kinds of pips recently, my brain was confused, and when the moment of truth came for several shots, I hesitated, unable to simply "react", and was unsure of the shot I should make. I really lacked consistency, and didn't "press" the opposition, and found myself always backed up on my heels. I realized that switching from one type of pip to another and trying to play well against 2000+ players was going to take time. LOTS of time. Then I asked myself, "Did I really reach peak performance with my former setup, and did I really feel it took me as far as I could go?" And I realized that there were still many situations where I could/should learn to attack better, make better shots, etc. So I have now gone back to my former setup, my consistency is back, and I am focusing on attacking a greater variety of balls, or AT LEAST PLAYING THEM AGGRESSIVELY. And from some of your comments, Doug, I think you are thinking the same way, that AGGRESSIVE play opens more opportunities than playing passively and hoping the other guy will fall to your deception. On a side note, like you, I tried short pips for awhile, I loved how I could hit quickly through balls, but when there were multiple quick exchanges (those 2000+ players will do that!), I found, being a heavier, older guy, that I didn't have the footwork to get back into good position for repeated shots. And good quick footwork is vital for playing short pips. So, I went back to a game (long pips) where, if needed, I could play an occasional slower ball just to get back into position. Doug, if I can offer any advice, KEEP YOUR CHIN UP, find a combination that enables you to be aggressive and yet takes into account any limitations you might have, and stick with it. We all struggle through these types of things. Just knowing you and the kind of player you are, I have a feeling that this little blip on your screen is just that--a blip. Man, I wish I lived closer to you, so that we could play regularly, and compare notes on pips, shots, play strategies, etc. If you ever vacation up here in the northwoods, make sure you bring your paddle along. We'll get a chance to play a bit. Best of luck, Doug. Hope to see you at a tourney soon.

Blade - Rendler Smart FH - Hurricane 8 hard black BH - Grass DTechs OX red
Blade - BBC 9/10/9 FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Dragon Talon OX red
Blade - Hallmark Aurora FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Joola Badman OX red

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2008, 23:07 
Reverend Reversal

Blade: Rendler Smart
FH: Hurricane 8 hard
BH: Grass DTechs OX
By the way, best of luck at the next few tournaments, Doug! We'll be awaiting the results! And, judging from the appearance of my previous post, I REALLY need to learn to make paragraph breaks!!

Blade - Rendler Smart FH - Hurricane 8 hard black BH - Grass DTechs OX red
Blade - BBC 9/10/9 FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Dragon Talon OX red
Blade - Hallmark Aurora FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Joola Badman OX red

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2008, 23:13 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
JimWeiland wrote:
By the way, best of luck at the next few tournaments, Doug! We'll be awaiting the results! And, judging from the appearance of my previous post, I REALLY need to learn to make paragraph breaks!!

Agreed Jim! :roll: :lol:

Doug, good luck with the tourney. If it doesn't go well and you go to LP, I highly recommend the palio ck531a if you haven't used it. Its very like PK, but better IMO.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2008, 00:10 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Jim, that's an awesome post. You've captured perfectly the situation that I was in at that first tournament and where my head is at right now. It seems like you went through exactly the same type of thinking that I am currently in. It's great to hear that someone else has gone through the same experiences and come out the other end as a better player as a result of the testing. It sounds like you ended up going back to long pips, but with a more aggressive strategy; that's what I may end up doing. I'm also a bigger guy whose footwork can really be lacking at times, so maybe I'll find the same thing, that I need that "change of pace" that long pips gives to keep me in more points against the higher rated players.

Maybe it was just that the long pips I was using weren't meant to be used for an aggressive game. The 388D-1 could be pretty tricky for the opponent, and I could hit o.k. with them. Maybe I didn't give myself enough time to get used to hitting with them before I switched to the Peacekeeper. Or, maybe I'll be able to play a hitting/blocking game with short pips better than I think. In either case, I think that after getting your feedback that I have a clear game plan. If I don't post better results and some good wins with the short pips at these next two tournaments, it's back to long pips with sponge for me.

It would be a lot of fun to be able to play more matches with you. I will definitely keep your offer in mind if I'm up in your neck of the woods.

And I will definitely keep the Palio long pips in mind as well! Thanks for the tip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2008, 02:15 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

Hey Doug, tuff losses there bro. I know some of those guys you played. They are hard to beat. I have played Roy a few times and that Seemiller style gives me a fit sometimes. Keep your chin up. It will get better.

As far as what Jim had to say. I couldn't agree more. I am in the same position. Only I had to change. Going from frictionless to friction and a completely different game style. Blocking to chopping. The problem I have now is that I fell like I have the strokes down but like Jim said. My brain is hard wired for Super Block. So I have to keep telling myself what to do with each stroke. Instead of thinking about tactics and other important things. I am 6 months out from surgery now and feeling about 90%. I think I can start some training now.

I am going to the Arnold in early March and South Bend in late March. I hope I will be close to my rating by then. Hope to see you at the Arnold Doug. If not, in South Bend. Jim, I would also like to meet you to. Maybe we can swap some tips with the 3 of us.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2008, 03:00 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Joe, thanks for the encouragement. It's great to hear you're so close to making your comeback! I don't think I'll be able to make the Arnold, but I'm definitely planning on the big South Bend tourney at the end of March. I'd love to get a hit with you again. Hopefully by then I'll have my game straightened out and a rubber combination that I'm comfortable with. It's always good to have a lot of people to share tips with!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2008, 03:30 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

I know MDjenders will be at Kspin. Kagin will be there for sure......he's a tourny referee!!!
See you there, I will play U4000 team with Mike(1700+) if I decide to go.

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next