OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Dwruck in Rockford
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2008, 08:14 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Just got back from playing the Open, U-2000 and U-1800. Turnout was really low, because of the small size of the groups they let two people advance from each round robin so everybody got more matches.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my progress. Yes, there was progress. Plus, most importantly, I enjoyed playing the short pip blocking/hitting style with my backhand. With a little more practice, I think I'll be ready to move back up into the 1700s. Read on:

In the U-2000, I won my group. I beat a guy rated just over 1700 3-1. My hitting was working well and I hit just enough forehand loops. I beat the lowest rated guy (just under 1500) 3-0. He was tricky, so the games were tight, but I found some serves that ate him up and I got some nice hits with the pips to get the win. In the quarterfinal round, I played a 1700-level long pips blocker. He's an older guy who's pretty crafty with the long pips. I lost the first two games, but in the third I started getting a feel for the game and won at deuce after being down 9-10. Won the fourth game 11-8, then the fifth was another dogfight that I lost 11-9, barely missing a couple of loops on the last two points. Not a bad loss at all. This guy ended up losing in five games, 11-9 in the fifth, to a 1980 level player in the semifinals, and was beating a lot of people on the day.

In the Open, my first match was against an 1850 level player who had just finished pulling off an upset to win the U-2000. This guy destroyed me before, when I had long and medium pips. He still beat me 3-0, but the match was much closer this time, two of the games I lost were 11-9. After the match, he said that I was much tougher with the short pips, which was nice to hear from an independent source. Lost to another low 1700 rated player in that group. I played like a dog in one game, but the other two were 14-12 and 11-9 that I lost, so I could have easily won with a point here or there.

In the U-180, I won my first match thanks to the help of my biggest comeback ever. I won the first game 13-11. In the second, I was down 1-9. Got a couple of points, then she was ahead of me 4-10. From that point on, I went on a tear and ran off 8 straight points to win 12-10! You can imagine how excited I was after that comeback. She got up on me 9-5 in the third game, I came back again to get it to deuce but then she held me off 12-10. In the fourth, I took control early and won 11-7 to win the match. Against the other guy in my group, rated in the mid-1400s, I got thrashed. No way this guy was a mid-1400 level player; afterwards, I had someone tell me he beats 1700 and 1800 level guys at his club. He went on to beat the girl, so I got to advance as the second place finisher. In the quarterfinals, I had another awesome match with a guy in the low 1700s. He won the first 11-9. I won the second 11-9. He won the third 11-5. I came back with an 11-5 win in the fourth. The fifth was a dogfight the whole way. He was up 10-8, I got it to deuce. He got the advantage, I got it back to deuce. He got the advantage again, I had a hit with my pips that clipped the net and went barely long to lose 13-11 in the fifth.

I feel good about the results overall. I've made a LOT of progress in the past month, and I feel it's a style I can win with against 1700-1800 level players very soon. Had those two five-game matches gone my way that I lost so close, it would have been an awesome day. I'll have to settle for a moral victory, as my rating might actually slide a bit. But I know some big wins are coming. I just need to pick my spots better for my attack and I'll be winning more of those tight ones!

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2008, 12:24 
Super User

good to see you are back on winning track!

blade BTY Photino ST/Palio HengDa #1 ST, fh Palio Macro ERA 42deg MAX, bh Palio CK531A OX

TT Armory, N. America Palio distributor. Macro ERA Tensor, Biotech rubbers, and more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2008, 16:17 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Hey Dwruck, cool report. Hate those narrow ones on the short end and realy don't like runing into under-rated ringers. Sounds like you will be ready for the 1700-1800 crowd real soon.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2008, 00:49 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

That's what I'm hoping. It's funny, I'm happy with my results even though I'm probably going to lose more ratings points thanks to that ringer. The thing is, I saw progress in my game. I was competitive with everybody in the 1700-1800 range, winning a few, losing a few pretty narrowly. With just a little bit of improvement I feel like I'll be a solid player at that level, then I can continue to push on to see how far I can get.

This is going to be my equipment setup for quite a while now, no more fiddling about with different setups. I need to devote myself to taking this as far as I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2008, 12:01 
Reverend Reversal

Blade: Rendler Smart
FH: Hurricane 8 hard
BH: Grass DTechs OX
Atta boy, Doug! This tournament definitely has to be a confidence builder for you. You have the right attitude, buddy--keep it up. I can already see you in my rear view mirror! And dang...I hate playing against short pips..!! Keep up the good work!

Blade - Rendler Smart FH - Hurricane 8 hard black BH - Grass DTechs OX red
Blade - BBC 9/10/9 FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Dragon Talon OX red
Blade - Hallmark Aurora FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Joola Badman OX red

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2008, 17:57 

I expect Dwruck will be chewing up and spitting out the 1700 + crowd like sunflower seeds pretty soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2008, 22:39 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Thanks guys! Der, I love that analogy, that's hilarious. I hope you're right, starting at the Killerspin tourney on the 27th-28th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008, 07:04 

I was going to say "Chewing up the Melon, spitting out the rhines" (Watermelon) or "Dwruck will be ready to eat the USATT 1700-1800 crowd for breakfast and belch loudly"

Edit: I setttled on the sunflower seed one, because when you eat sunflower seeds, you do it in a relaxed and casual manner, you eject the useless shells without much resistance, chew and savor the flavor, and not expend a lot of energy doing so.

The connotations of the sunflower seeds seemed stronger and appealed to me more than the others.

I hope you take it to 'em in Chicago and make them fear the rooster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008, 09:05 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Here they come to snuff the rooster...you know he ain't gonna die. :wink:

The only thing that might hold me back is that I have no time for practice between now and then, so I'm pretty much heading into that tournament armed only with the experience from Rockford and almost two weeks off. I could either be well rested, rusty, or both. Of course, I think all the snow we've had to clean up will keep the well rested part from happening. That and all the holiday running around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008, 12:11 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

dwruck wrote:
Thanks guys! Der, I love that analogy, that's hilarious. I hope you're right, starting at the Killerspin tourney on the 27th-28th.

See you at Kspin.

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008, 23:12 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Hey Bogey, we should try to meet, at the least to say "hi". When are you getting in and playing? My first event is the U-2000 at 12:30 on the 27th. I'll probably get down there early to catch some of the pros in the morning, though.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!