OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:07

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2009, 22:05 
I am Legend
I am Legend

I heard that David Powell beat Justin in U18?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2009, 08:43 
Mars Attacks!

Geoff wrote:
speedplay wrote:
Quote:
I was there for most of the day and saw some great matches, especially those involving Justin Han, he had to get through some really tough matches to get to the final whereas Henzell seemed to breeze through his side of the draw.

Which leads to the question, did Henzell have a better draw, or did he ease past his opponents because he has that little extra, compared to Han?[/code]

Tournaments like this will toughen Justin up for Aussie conditions. He's used to playing in air conditioned venues in China and -30 degrees conditions in Harbin.

Justin told me the extreme heat had a big effect on him physically and he hadn't played in heat like that before and I think he wasn't used to how such heat can effect rubber and the ball.

I was sweating like a pig myself and I didn't hit a ball all weekend. There was no air in that hall. It was very hard for all the players.

By the way that's not making excuses for Justin because of course I am happy William won.

Mars63 did I meet you? Why didn't you introduce yourself :D

I felt very sorry for all the players about the unacceptable conditions, I remember walking in @ 1pm and having my breath taken away from me by the horrible humidity & heat that greeted me. This is not the first time I have felt this @ Croydon, as an Architect I feel it could have been designed a lot better in terms of circulation & natural ventilation.

The silly thing is that the outside conditions were quite pleasant with most smart players retreating to the outside courtyard for respite from the conditions in the hall.
To give you an example of how crappy it was my best friend was playing and he is originally from Iran (only been here about 1 year) and he could not cope with the combination of heat & humidity even though they are standard from were he comes from.

I did see on a number of occasions Justin look down to his blade and rubbers after missing what he obviously thought were makable shots, as you say the sweat and humidity looked like they troubled him.

Geoff I did spy you sitting at your desk but every time I came close you had your head in the laptop and looked very intense and busy so I let you do you work. You did not seem see to Stiga hybrid wood on display :( I have brought 2 from you in the past and just love them.

Are you guys going to sponsor any other tournaments in Vic, I play at Dandy along with a few other forum members here.

cheers
Mars

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2009, 12:40 
Mars Attacks!

Silver wrote:
I heard that David Powell beat Justin in U18?

Here is confirmation Siver, again from the TTV site

Powell Upsets Han in Juniors (23/3/09)
In the junor tournament David Powell upset fancied Justin Han with an outstanding 3-0 win against one of Australia’s top players. Jesse Bricknell and the improving Daniel Phan were semi-finalists. Daniel backed up to win the Division 1 singles over Dillon Cathcart. Lily Phan was untroubled to take both the U15 & U18 girls titles. Lily defated Louise Qiu in the U18 final after Louise knocked out Simone Chuah in the semi. Local Mitch Ong-Thomson took out the Division 2 singles, defeating Nathan Van Der Heiden in the final. Mitch also won the Boys U13 singles, but could not match Dillon Cathcart in the boys U15 final. Dillon teamed with Alex Van Der Heiden to win the boys U18 doubles title.

Just out of interest I play pennant comp against the other juniors mentioned both Jessie & Daniel, very fast and improving by the season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2009, 19:45 
Super User

Quote:

Are you guys going to sponsor any other tournaments in Vic, I play at Dandy along with a few other forum members here.

cheers
Mars

Probably. But not confirmed yet. Between the internet and more local suppliers around than ever before the whole 'sponsorship" thing is under review in my mind.

I want to try doing it differently in future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2009, 20:40 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

I agree with you Geoff.
Did you have a chance to record any videos of the competition?

Well its good to see the 2 finalists are both sponsored by you.