OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 May 2010, 17:36 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
dwruck wrote:
I still think that's a ridiculous argument, about how the individual associations don't have to follow it. Almost all will automatically follow the rule, and most of those members have to know that. To say otherwise just isn't being honest, in my opinion.

Yes my thoughts exactly!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 29 May 2010, 17:48 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I'm particularly disappointed at the lack of response of the BoD members... I did not get any replies from the Emails I sent, and I think very few other people did either....

In all fairness they probably don't have any obligation to answer Emails from members, but I feel it's common courtesy to at least offer a quicky reply to a fellow TT player...

I suppose it's possible they Email address have expired or are no longer used.... I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'm pretty disappointed....

PostPosted: 30 May 2010, 00:02 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
I'm particularly disappointed at the lack of response of the BoD members... I did not get any replies from the Emails I sent, and I think very few other people did either....

I suppose it's possible they Email address have expired or are no longer used.... I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'm pretty disappointed....

I sent 274 Emails to all the Email addresses of NAs and the BoD members I could find with a few exceptions and received 30 messages about not being able to be delivered.

The others were obviously delivered, however I received no response from anybody.

PostPosted: 30 May 2010, 00:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Smartguy wrote:
haggisv wrote:

I sent 274 Emails to all the Email addresses of NAs and the BoD members I could find with a few exceptions and received 30 messages about not being able to be delivered.

The others were obviously delivered, however I received no response from anybody.[/quote

I began writing letters about this as soon as I leaned of the Swedish proposal. I had not a single response. I think the time of the ITTF is far spent. It is time to develop a new governing body. The lack of responsiveness on the part of the board speaks volumes.

I resolve not to go quietly into that good night.
fOD

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2010, 00:53 
King of Ping!

Your e-mails and letters were received. I know for a fact. It's just that the Board members do not agree with you. To my big surprise and astonishment there were only 2 or 3 votes in favour of the Swedish proposal. I was shocked. But that is the reality.

Adham

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2010, 12:24 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

adham wrote:
Your e-mails and letters were received. I know for a fact. It's just that the Board members do not agree with you. To my big surprise and astonishment there were only 2 or 3 votes in favour of the Swedish proposal. I was shocked. But that is the reality.

Adham

If the members of the BoD did received our Emails, I'm very disappointed they did not even bother to reply.

To me it's a common courtesy to respond to a fellow player, especially since it's likely
that only those people that are truly passionate about this issue and our sport would have bothered to write. Many of us put a lot of effort in these Emails.

If they had simply replied that they disagreed, I would have respected and accepted that.

If they had replied and explained their reasons why they disagree, I would have respected this even more.

But since they did not even bother to respond to my Emails, I'm left to wonder if they even care
about this issue or really understand the impact of the decision.

The fact that this rule is not important at ITTF levels, and that Associations are not forced to implement the rule in their country simply does not seem logical to me, since we all know that (1) if it's not important at ITTF level, why did they bring in this rule, and (2) we all know that most countries follow ITTF rules regardless, as it's not good to have 2 different sets of rules.

So I'm left to conclude that they feel that frictionless long pimples are bad for the sport or not good for developing young player. Well if this is the case, then this is what they should vote on. They should be open and honest what the issues are, so that everyone understand what the impact of their decision would be.

I know I'm probably preaching to the converted here, but I felt it should be said, and I do hope
at least some of the BoD members would read this and bother to respond, either privately or publicly.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2010, 14:35 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Eliminate treated rubbers?

The minimum friction rule was allegedly intended to eliminate treated rubbers. I'm surprised the ITTF has not acknowledged that the rule has had exactly the opposite effect.

Before the ban, people knew which long pimples were low friction and those rubbers were likely used as sold by manufacturers and approved by the ITTF. Now there is widespread use of aftermarket ITTF-approved rubbers that have had the friction lessened by various methods with no form of detection. As a result, LP rubbers today have no consistent friction level and may or may not perform as the ITTF originally approved.

The ITTF possibly has a means of enforcing rules like this with their strict racket control procedures at tournaments (although this is mainly for tuning). However since the minimum friction rule doesn't really apply at international level, it was obviously implemented with the intention of having the national associations accept it.

The Problem

The logistics of the minimum friction rule were simply not well thought out. For example, very few associations have the expensive equipment, training or manpower required to implement either the tuning or minimum friction tests. Most of our tournaments here in the USA are self-officiated with a handful of overworked organizers trying to hold things together.

Since the friction rule makes little practical sense, it seems obvious that the one association actively promoting this rule had an agenda to discriminate against a game system used by a small group of amateur players in that country. This wasn't democracy, this was a crackdown.

Table tennis desperately needs diversity of styles and there has to be some mechanism to protect and preserve the less popular styles. As J.O. Waldner said, "It's wrong to eradicate a style."

What happens now?

It's unlikely that a similar proposition will be reintroduced by any association until Eby Schoeler is out of the picture one way or another.

So in the final analysis, the ITTF ended up doing exactly what those who treat rubbers and those who use them in competition wanted. Those who sell treated rubbers will continue to have a vibrant marketplace. Players who use treated rubbers will continue to win.

Schoeler and company have essentially wrestled approval control of low friction rubbers away from the ITTF Equipment Committee and awarded it to back-room friction treatment labs.

A Solution? Yes, there is one!

I'm not just here to vent and criticize. The ITTF has an opportunity to easily remedy this situation by continuing to approve low friction rubbers on the LARC with an asterisk. * Not approved for ITTF International competition.

This will...

1. Ensure that players use long pimple rubbers as approved by the ITTF.
2. Give older amateur players the chance to play the style they enjoy.
3. Eliminate low friction rubbers as an alternative for high level players.

Of course, the national associations can choose to allow the full LARC, or simply those rubbers approved for international play only (making the German Association happy). This can be a win/win for everyone and a very sensible ITTF Executive Committee initiative. Is there a chance?

Kudos in order

Although I was disappointed by the issue above, I have to commend the ITTF on their tremendous webcast of the recent world team championships. That was very enjoyable and I watched every day. Very dramatic moment when Chinapore beat China in the women's competition. ITTV is a great innovation.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2010, 02:25 

haggisv. I don't think they really have the ability to respond to every person that sent an email or letter. Also I don't think that the Board does care much about the issue because, they disagree with you and it's a minority that is really passionate about getting the rule overturned.

I think in their mind they are doing what is best for the sport, even if it may be wrong, and respect them for making difficult decisions (even if unpopular) that guide the sport.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2010, 04:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

drudd75077 wrote:
haggisv. I don't think they really have the ability to respond to every person that sent an email or letter. Also I don't think that the Board does care much about the issue because, they disagree with you and it's a minority that is really passionate about getting the rule overturned.

I think in their mind they are doing what is best for the sport, even if it may be wrong, and respect them for making difficult decisions (even if unpopular) that guide the sport.

I completely disagree, I believe, as their constituency, we deserve an answer to our questions. What purpose is served if the board is not reflective of its members. If it is as you stipulate, then it is an oligarchy, at least in practice.

The BoD didn't make an unpopular decision they made the easy decision. If every one who is a member of their ITTF affiliated association were able to cast a vote I am relatively sure that the outcome would have been no different. We, of the long pip brigade, are a low percentage voice crying in the wilderness.
tOD

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2010, 07:02 

I disagree I believe if every member was given the option to vote on the issue the majority of people wouldn't vote because they don't care. It's just a loud minority. Do they declare themselves a pure democracy? There is no such thing anyway. The idea of a governing body to the guide a organization. They are simply doing what they think is best. I think it would have been a minor difference in effort to vote yes or no.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2010, 09:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Bottom line is frictionless pips is revolutionary in its ability to stand toe-to-toe with the strongest topspinners at the table, and that scared some top ITTF officials so much they acted to ban it.

The End.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2010, 09:27 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

drudd75077 wrote:

While I do respect your opinion, I also disagree. To me it is common courtesy and respect for fellow players, to acknowledge an Email, even if it's only a single line and the same thing to everyone.

I don't have a problem with them disagreeing, but if they feel it's bad for the sport, then they should be open about it, and discuss this publicly, not try and sneak in a ban through technicalities of the rules ( if this is indeed what what happened). If they truly think that it's in best for the sport, there is no need to be secretive about it, as they'll no doubt get the support they seek.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2010, 09:46 

Isn't it implied in their vote? Isn't that a reply to all the emails and letters? They disagree, the vote speaks loud and clear to me. I have no problem with frictionless pips, if they overturn the ban because they think it's the best thing to do then great, I will happily learn to play against frictionless pips.

If you feel passionate about it, I hope you will continue to send emails and encourage others, if they also feel passionate about it. Just don't get upset if they don't respond directly to you. I like to believe they have the best intentions for the sport in mind.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2010, 12:18 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Altho' Sweden's proposal was turned down, why don't they just apply it to their own National non ittf comps and leagues for the benefit of us amateur/recreational players as in the Etta decision so far, if they felt so strongly about it?