OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 May 2011, 16:02 

The table tennis club that I play at required all players to register with Table Tennis Victoria this year. I did so but did not receive any acknowlegment of my registration at all. What's the point of doing so when I didn't really cared to be registered or not and I don't get any benefit from the registration at all. Might as well play somewhere that does not require registration...

It seems quite a few players decided to do so because quite a few no longer come and there are not enough players for full competition each week.

What is it like at other clubs?

PostPosted: 22 May 2011, 17:47 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Niteowl our club has always required TTV registration to be paid given it is an affiliated club. I agree that we get nothing for it, especially if you don't play tournaments. I think it should be a player's choice whether they do or don't pay the fee, but it is TTV that takes the higher ground attitude that if all a clubs players are not registered then the whole club is de-registered. Its not the best thing for TT, it is only the best for TTV cronies (and perhaps for players who play tourneys). The one thing I would say that there is in the TTV fee is an insurance component which for someone like you, if you are injured at TT and can't work there is $50K income and medical benefits coverage in the fee. The thing that is not well known is you only have 30 days to lodge a claim with TTV (after reporting it to local TT management) if that happens. If you ask the guys in the office they will have a TTV registration card there for you with your rego number.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 22 May 2011, 17:49 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
If we wish to play Winter Pennant, our main and biggest competition in SA, we have to pay registration, which includes SATTA fees. I think the total is around $200 for the season, and the SATTA fees around $50. I don't see any benefits for me personally either, but I think it's put towards many other programs, like coaching and development of State teams, etc.

Some clubs decide not to be affiliated with SATTA, but it means they can't have teams in the main Pennant competition.

PostPosted: 22 May 2011, 18:15 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Imo there should be 2 levels of registration: (i) the current level for those who play in TTV events and (ii) a cheaper level for those who play in internal club competitions only. It is not fair for those in category (ii) to have to pay full fees when they get absolutely no benefit from TTV whatsoever. If such a system was introduced it would also help those in category (ii) to be not so bitter about paying their registration.

PostPosted: 22 May 2011, 19:21 

I agree that club/recreational players should not pay fees which they do not get any benefit out of... it does not promote the sport at that level and, in fact, caused a number of players to drop out of the club!

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 10:16 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

On a slightly different note, but relevant to this thread, where can I find the registration forms?

TTV's website, like many club sites, is a bit of a mess and finding the appropriate forms is not easy. In fact, I've spent too long scouring their site and I'm sure they're not there.

The reason I'd like to register is that it seems to be a requirement to play in Vet Open events in Victoria, which I'm thinking of trying this year. I do recall last year when I paid my local club's fees it did include membership to TTV. The problem is that my local club (Daylesford) doesn't start early enough to provide this membership. And there's always a chance the committee will decide not to invest in registration with them this year (last year was the only time we received TTV membership cards, so I can't rely on it this year).

Another question: as I'm also a member of a much larger club (Ballarat), do I still have to register for TTV membership to play Vet Open events?

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 12:27 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Oskar you have to register with TTV to play Vets. I'd be surprised if you don't have to register to play at Ballarat as well. You only have to register once, so last year at Ballarat you wouldn't have needed to given you already did at Daylesford. Ballarat will have forms I'm sure.

You're right about the TTV website. It doesn't even tell you how much registration costs! I am annoyed that they have put the fee up by $5 again this year. You get little to nothing for this fee and for it to jump to $57 from $42 in just a few years is ridiculous.

Which Vets are you looking to play in? Obviously not Dandy, which is this Sunday.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 12:41 

Thanks for the advice, Reborn. I think I'll talk to the Ballarat club and see what they have in the way of clear information. You'd think a body like TTV would be better organised, especially considering their fees!

I was thinking of entering the Geelong competition in April, just to see how I'd go. I'm very enticed by the fact that you eventually get a rating - this is something that would give me a clearer indication of my playing level and, therefore, something to build upon. It all, of course, depends on how easily I can satisfy all the regulatory bodies and their red tape. Hmmm. |(

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 16:29 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Fees is the last thing we need if we want our beloved sport to grow...

At our club, a mere fee of P20.00 or half a dollar for a weekend game to cover cost is not being paid by some of the members. I just shrugged it of so as not to affect attendance..

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 17:56 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Oskar wrote:
I was thinking of entering the Geelong competition in April, just to see how I'd go. I'm very enticed by the fact that you eventually get a rating - this is something that would give me a clearer indication of my playing level and, therefore, something to build upon. It all, of course, depends on how easily I can satisfy all the regulatory bodies and their red tape. Hmmm. |(

Hmmm, I was thinking of entering Geelong perhaps. Now if you enter div 4 there which I wasn't going to enter due to winning it a little too easily in the last Vets (and still don't have a rating), maybe I should re-think it. :devil: :lol: But then I would enter div 3 cos I only came runner-up in that one, so maybe I could just meet you in that one Oskar. :P :D

Just FYI Oskar, you have to win 4 and lose 4 matches to get a rating.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 18:35 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Oskar send me a pm with your email address and I'll send you the registration form, you can be registered by this time tomorrow if you want, it's not that hard. Reb you are a legit Div 3 player at least so you better enter Div 3 and up next time. Oskar I think should be Div 4, so may as well enter 5 just to see what happens, its ok to do that ONCE :)

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 12:34 

Thanks, guys! I'll PM you foam and get the rego happening. I was thinking of entering five events, if I read the form right. 1) O/40 singles, 2) O/40 doubles, 3) Division 4 singles, 4) Division 4 doubles, and 5) Division 5 singles.

I just think it'd be a great way to take my game to the next level, BTW, the doubles matches I'll probably play with my brother or brother-in-law (whoever wins the arm wrestle :punch: ).

It'd also be a great way to meet up with some of my forum buddies, even if we compete in different divisions. :up: :party:

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 13:29 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Just a tip Oskar. The first Vets I ever went to, I entered the O40 events too. You may as well enter Div 1 if you enter the O40's. You come up against the same level players, often in the first round. Its fine if you want the experience of playing/being wiped by a high level player. But IMO you'd be better off entering Div 3 and playing someone just above your level where you can actually get experience of someone better without being wiped so easily.

If I go to Geelong, I'll probably enter Div 2 and 3 for the same reasoning. (I doubt they'll let me enter div 4, even though I'm still technically qualified as I have no rating).

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 13:35 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Oskar wrote:
Thanks, guys! I'll PM you foam and get the rego happening. I was thinking of entering five events, if I read the form right. 1) O/40 singles, 2) O/40 doubles, 3) Division 4 singles, 4) Division 4 doubles, and 5) Division 5 singles.

I just think it'd be a great way to take my game to the next level, BTW, the doubles matches I'll probably play with my brother or brother-in-law (whoever wins the arm wrestle :punch: ).

It'd also be a great way to meet up with some of my forum buddies, even if we compete in different divisions. :up: :party:

Sound like a plan. the only thing is I wouldn't bother with Over 40 doubles as you have zero chance of getting anywhere in that and doubles doesn't count towards gaining a rating, you are going to be up against some real famous hero's of Vic table tennis you just aren't going to get out of the first round in open singles or doubles. I would replace over 40s doubles with another divisional singles (Division 3).. The over 40's singles is different and a must play to make sure you get beaten a few times.!

You are almost guaranteed to dump 2 or 3 matches in the first part of the O40's singles which is a round robin. So that's some of the 4 you need for a rating, I'll assume you get knocked out of Div 4 at some point (hopefully after winning a match or two). And hopefully win 2 or 4 matches in Div 5 !. All up that should be enough to get a rating after your first tournament, if not you will get one after the next tournament.

O40's singles, Div 3, Div 4, Div 5 singles and a divisional doubles of your choice would be what I'd suggest, it's the right way to go :up:

I'll be entering O40 singles, Div 1, 2 singles and Div 2 and (3 doubles (maybe if I qualify))

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 12:00 

Just shows how new I am to all this semi-professional table tennis stuff!

Thanks for wise council, guys. Now that I understand the level of competition, I reckon I'll skip the O/40s and go the Div 3, instead. I'm not 100% sure I can get a doubles partner at this stage (chances are nearer to 96.25%), but, anyway, I'll certainly put myself down for Div 3, 4 & 5 singles tournaments.

And it will be fantastic to meet up with you guys! :party: