OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 10:01

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 12:08 
Super User

My clubs only small and we get our own insurance at a cost of $10 to members rather than the $60 (approx) that TTV charges you and only provides insurance and rego card to the typical club player.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 12:42 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
mallia wrote:
My clubs only small and we get our own insurance at a cost of $10 to members rather than the $60 (approx) that TTV charges you and only provides insurance and rego card to the typical club player.

Now that's the way to go for most clubs I reckon. If you want to play TTV events, then you pay the extra rego fee (although I still think its too high). Personally, I think clubs should be able to insure themselves and get the TTV rego for something like $5, given what the TTV does for most members anyway. Seems there's some sort of rort in these fees somewhere where someone is collecting money for jam. Might be the insurance company?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 14:43 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Even though it's 99.9% run by volunteers I'd assume a very large percentage/almost all of what you pay has to go to paying the wages of it's two? employees.

The registration price is still well worth it to have the rating and tournaments. Playing the same players week in week out for decades gets old sooner or later especially in a small club where you can reach the upper limits quite easily. Might be a different story for Reb where he has a large club with enough good players to last him a lifetime of improvements.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 15:34 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

foam wrote:
Might be a different story for Reb where he has a large club with enough good players to last him a lifetime of improvements.

No might about it. ;) I doubt my supply of challenging competitors will run out before I do. :lol: :D

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 16:07 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

I'm in a different boat: I belong to a very large club (ballarat), meaning that on a typical night there are more than a 100 players competing. On the 'prime' night (Monday) there are enough divisions of play to satisfy the likes of me, i.e. PR, A1-4, B1, C1, D1, plus the social players. Also, I play for another club (Daylesford), which is much smaller, but it gives me a further opportunity to play different styles and levels.

The reason I'm interested in playing the Vets tournaments is to follow a logical (?) path on my TT journey. Now, I don't know if that makes complete sense (because I've already admitted my naivety), but it does excite me to think I can go out into the scary, wide-open world and compete against even more people. At this stage, any wise council would be appreciated if it seems I've lost the plot (or is that path?).

Add to this that I'm very keen to participate in something called Country Week. The only thing I know about this event is that it's held over the Queen's birthday long weekend and my large club (Ballarat) is a big supporter of it. From the little tid bits they've told me about it, it's supposed to be a HOOT! But, seriously, I think it's a gathering of all regional clubs for a big bash in Melbourne. Sounds very nice, if you ask me!

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 18:11 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Are many people here playing in the upcoming Dandenong tourney?

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 20:34 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Oskar, country week is every bit as mythical and magical as it sounds, make sure you get in a team :up:

carbonman wrote:
Are many people here playing in the upcoming Dandenong tourney?
:party: Are you playing both days?

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 21:11 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

I was considering playing but have recently had a shoulder operation and will be out for a few months. Feel free to pass on results if you play.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 21:31 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Oskar wrote:
Add to this that I'm very keen to participate in something called Country Week. The only thing I know about this event is that it's held over the Queen's birthday long weekend and my large club (Ballarat) is a big supporter of it. From the little tid bits they've told me about it, it's supposed to be a HOOT! But, seriously, I think it's a gathering of all regional clubs for a big bash in Melbourne. Sounds very nice, if you ask me!

Your path is fine Oskar. And although I'm not eligible to play Country Week (cos I'm not in a country club), I'd love to. So go for it.

@Carbonman - I'd love to be playing Dandy Vets, but have something else to do that I love even more. Probably pop my head in there to say gidday to Vet mates.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2012, 07:20 

Thanks for sweeping the stones from my path. I'll see what I can do about joining Country Week! :rock:

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012, 18:43 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Anyone know of any Dandenong Vets results yet?

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012, 20:30 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Few unrated bushrangers with no rating with upsets in the divisions but Brian berry got a win in o40 or o50 against bp maybe in both?. There was a new Japanese girl chopper winning just about everything she entered.

She won the the women's o40 and was well on the way to a win in div2 very stylish chopper and the stand out performance of the day. Il expect her to go straight to div1 on her initial rating.

Not many entries compared to a normal vets, geelong should be the first real big one.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012, 22:00 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Thanks for that. Do you know who made the finals of the mens over 40s and 50s?

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012, 22:09 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Foam made it to the div3 final cos I wasn't playing :lol: But some bushranger snipered him with LP (how dare there be someone else playing LP in div3 bar me :P ). I was only there long enough to see one of the guy's I beat at Mornington take down foam by 2 pts in the 5th set in the O40 first round. Foam had a short "shell retreat" period otherwise he would have won before the 5th set. You can't afford that against the pitbull he was playing. ;)

As a footnote Foam played me (me in jeans with my 2ndry setup) in a few sets and though most were 2 points didn't drop one to me. Going back with proper gear tomorrow to see if I can get my revenge. :devil:

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2012, 22:58 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Well it was a good little tournament down there in Dandenong. first I'd say as far as matches being organised and put out on table efficiently it was run like clock work. The stadium is fairly good, there's a big difference in lighting from one end of the table to the other, that's common to a lot of stadiums but probably worse here than any others I've played in. No problem since you both gets turns down the dodgy end, but does make for a lot of matches that go to 5 games, the good end is worth a couple points per game no problem so now you can understand why all Rebs matches go to 5 in his Reb report.

The tournament does has a few quirks worth remembering for anyone wanting to enter in the future that I've learned and I guess are the reason quite a few/lots of the regular divisional players choose not to enter. Mainly being a lot of unrated or quite possibly even un registered players entered in just about any division they wanted despite being clearly in the wrong divisions, there were legit Div 2 players in Div 4, Div 1 players in Div 3, not just one or two but handfulls of them. I can't gain rating points in my own club so all my points come from tournaments in non familiar stadiums/tables and lights and usually on 5-6 hours sleep and a 5 hours drive so if anything I'm myself underrated when on a good sleep which I was this weekend and playing well.

I'd usually expect to be within a couple of points a game of any other Div 2 players, within 3 of any Div 1 player and wouldn't expect anyone in Div 3 to knock me out in better than 5 games, maybe rarely in 4. However I and a lot of the other stronger regulars got smashed this weekend by unknown players, of the 4 that I came across I was only able to end the run of one of them. One of them beat me in under 3? in each of the three games :!...... I can't remember being beaten that badly by even regular players in the elite section let alone in the divisions. I also saw a 600 point player destroy a 1400 point player.... destroy in a way that would have been repeatable 10 out of 10 times, it's going to be a total headache for the rating man to sort out next month. So there are some things to think about to improve the tournament as far as having a fair and enjoyable divisional events. the major flaw in the system is the lack of pennant results and TTV registrations going in from some clubs (mostly from Dandenong itself and that's something that can be easily fixed) Still I enjoyed it and no doubt improved from being on the receiving end of so many floggings, which I doubt once it's all sorted out will actually cost me anything rating wise since if any of them do end up with a rating it should be well above mine.

When I left Reb was playing his championship so I'm sure he will be writing about that in his report any time soon, I gave him a little hit with his infamous pogo before I left to make him happy :up:, the most unsettling thing about his game isn't the pips, there's not much if any reversal on them, although they do stall the speed on the ball a lot and buggers your timing. I had much more trouble with his fast sidespin backhand serve which he serves with either inverted of pips, something you would get used to after a while but not in 5 minutes. In any case I've seen enough to know what to expect and look forward to playing him in a tournament at some stage.

So I'll see all you guys in Geelong, which is a larger tournament with less bushrangers (most likely none of them) unless Oskar turns out to be much stronger than expected :rofl: and then we will see what is what.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next