OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 16:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

I will support a petition to keep the celluloid ball
Poll ended at 24 Dec 2011, 09:56
Yes 59%  59%  [ 16 ]
No - I want the subject dropped 26%  26%  [ 7 ]
No - I want the subject talked about without doing anything about it 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 27
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 09:56 
Stir Crazy

This is to gauge the level of support for forcing the ITTF to rescind its decision to introduce the poly ball. If we have an online petition with thousands of names, the ITTF must change its policy.

Last edited by Tassie52 on 08 Dec 2011, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 10:00 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

i voted no, i want the subject dropped.

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 10:05 

:n: Mee tooo.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 11:29 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Tassie52 wrote:
This is to gauge the level of support for forcing the ITTF to rescind its decision to introduce the poly ball. If we have an online petition with thousands of names, the ITTF must change its policy.

thousands of names?? maybe you will get 24, anyhow Im still unsure what to vote for?

So the 1st vote is to keep the existing ball in it's current form and size?
the 2nd vote is for changing to the polly ball? ,and/or telling people to stop talking about it?? Im realy unsure of what Im voting on
and the 3rd vote change to the poly ball but still talk about it
or is the 1st vote the only real vote.

I would vote only if I could test the new proposed poly ball in real game situations, and trial with many styles of players, also a true test in the robot because although the size may fit , if the ball was heavier then the head angle and ball speed may not work out under a robots current settings, even better would be balls sent to all National associations and the top 200 players to test and make comment/ feedback and help advise

Im comming at this from two sides 1 as a player and 2 as a Table tennis supplier with stock of the current balls and robots, so I need to know everything before deciding

Im not as hung up on the ITTF bull about the danger of the current ball or the railroading of this start of a new poly ball (well as long as sufficent tests are done ), I just want to know will the new ball be user friendly for all styles, and in the long run grow the sport World wide, Im more worried that tests are still being done now and are largely still inhouse and secretive

so if the new ball bounces similar to celly, has good spin capabilities, the colour changed to yellow my preference lol, it wasn't too heavy and will fit existing robots, the ball lasted longer, the costs wern't too high then Im ready to vote

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 11:42 
Stir Crazy

rodderz wrote:
Tassie52 wrote:

thousands of names?? maybe you will get 24, anyhow Im still unsure what to vote for?

So the 1st vote is to keep the existing ball in it's current form and size?
the 2nd vote is for changing to the polly ball? ,and/or telling people to stop talking about it?? Im realy unsure of what Im voting on
and the 3rd vote change to the poly ball but still talk about it
or is the 1st vote the only real vote.

Sorry, this is not quite clear enough.

This poll is about a petition to the ITTF. I'm really asking, "Are we prepared to try something rather than just talk about it?"

The 1st vote is: Yes, let's petition the ITTF and try to get them to change their minds.
The 2nd vote is: No, I don't want to petition the ITTF. In fact, all I want is for us to stop talking about the ITTF's introduction of the ball.
The 3rd vote is: No, I don't want to petition the ITTF. All I want to do is talk to other people on the forum about the ITTF's decision.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 12:11 

Tassie wrote:

This poll is about a petition to the ITTF. I'm really asking, "Are we prepared to try something rather than just talk about it?"

The 1st vote is: Yes, let's petition the ITTF and try to get them to change their minds.
The 2nd vote is: No, I don't want to petition the ITTF. In fact, all I want is for us to stop talking about the ITTF's introduction of the ball.
The 3rd vote is: No, I don't want to petition the ITTF. All I want to do is talk to other people on the forum about the ITTF's decision.

Tsk tsk Tassie. You've just moved the poal post. Now my vote means the opposite of what I intended it to be.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 12:21 
Stir Crazy

pippy1 wrote:
Tassie wrote:

Tsk tsk Tassie. You've just moved the poal post. Now my vote means the opposite of what I intended it to be.

I don't think so. But if you're not happy, just revote. I allowed for people to change their vote. The last thing I want is to obfuscate anything.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 14:48 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I'm quite happy to have the ball changed to a better plastic (less burnable at least). What I really don't want is the secret dodgy size increase that's coming with it ;(

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 15:40 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I also get the feeling the sound of the ball bouncing may well change too (besides the size increase) and may not sound as crisp as the current ball. If this is the case it could seriously degrade the TT experience IMHO!

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 16:20 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
I wish I could vote now but I still have to try the new ball. Change is good if for the better. But how do we know if its for the better or worse if we don't have materials for comparison. :)

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 16:27 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

Red_lion wrote:
I wish I could vote now but I still have to try the new ball. Change is good if for the better. But how do we know if its for the better or worse if we don't have materials for comparison. :)

+1 million

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 20:06 

Interestingly, my favourite ball of all time is still the dunlop barna 3 crowns. Which was I believe, not celluloid but plastic. Always had a fantastic feel of solidity, and a lovely sound. I'd go to a 40mm version of that in a hearbeat, think it would be a huge improvement.

and my chickening out setup..
Donic Waldner Allplay
Stiga Boost TC 2.0 forehand
Stiga Boost TC 1.8 backhand

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2011, 00:01 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

The major objective of ITTF's moves in this case is not to ban the celluloid ball, but to find a good alternative. Given the decrease (and eventual cease) in production of celluloid raw material, we need an alternative, because the celluloid TT ball will not be available. An upcoming rule against celluloid balls will merely "level the ground" in the transition period, I guess.

In my view:
Discussing the implications of the new ball is useful, if the changed ball really changes the game.
Discussing the ITTF decision process and possible motivations is not so useful. May be interesting, though, but more likely a waste of time and space.
A petition to reassess the use of (or permission to use) celluloid balls is like a petition to save the dodo. I don't want to go there.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2011, 00:29 
Super User

Tassie52 wrote:

Your question and answer options show that you don't really understand the points that have been raised. The problem isn't the introduction of the seamless poly ball. That has been allowed within the rules for a very long time. The problem is the move to ban the celluloid ball and more specifically, the move to do so through a misinformation campaign.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2011, 08:37 
Super User

keme wrote:
The major objective of ITTF's moves in this case is not to ban the celluloid ball, but to find a good alternative. Given the decrease (and eventual cease) in production of celluloid raw material,

This is apparently not given, nowhere, nobody has been able to provide evidences supporting this claim. It looks like it was invented for a certain reason. Hence we do not need an alternative.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!