OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:13

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 05:50 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
Smartguy wrote:
There might be something interesting about his making a living.

Could be a possible conflict of interest if Adham quietly is lining his own pockets with a portion of the proceeds of the deals he is negotiating and signing off on as ITTF president with TMS which handles all ITTF TV and commercial rights.

http://www.ittf.com/tms/TMS_International/Our_team.html

http://opencorporates.com/companies/ca/391665-1 (click registry page)

I just want to say that I really don't like this kind speculation being presented publicly. I think this is going at least one step too far.

If you manage to actually find something of significance, then by all means, make it public. But this kind of insinuation of misdeeds without strong evidence seems inappropriate to me and distracts from the current issue in much the same way as does the discussion of Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 06:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wturber wrote:
mynamenotbob wrote:
Smartguy wrote:
There might be something interesting about his making a living.

Could be a possible conflict of interest if Adham quietly is lining his own pockets with a portion of the proceeds of the deals he is negotiating and signing off on as ITTF president with TMS which handles all ITTF TV and commercial rights.

http://www.ittf.com/tms/TMS_International/Our_team.html

http://opencorporates.com/companies/ca/391665-1 (click registry page)

I just want to say that I really don't like this kind speculation being presented publicly. I think this is going at least one step too far.

If you manage to actually find something of significance, then by all means, make it public. But this kind of insinuation of misdeeds without strong evidence seems inappropriate to me and distracts from the current issue in much the same way as does the discussion of Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo.

I disagree... Adham Sharara, as the President of one of the biggest sports federation in the world, should disclose all his direct business dealings with the ITTF. You can't be the ITTF President while awarding your own company exclusive contracts... If it is true he should resign immediately.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 06:16 
Super User

roundrobin wrote:

I disagree... Adham Sharara, as the President of one of the biggest sports federation in the world, should disclose all his direct business dealings with the ITTF. You can't be the ITTF President while awarding your own company exclusive contracts... If it is true he should resign immediately.

I have no problem with calling for him to make such a disclosure. I don't like the insinuation that he's "lining his pockets" or conflicts of interest in advance of having that information.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 06:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wturber wrote:
roundrobin wrote:

I have no problem with calling for him to make such a disclosure. I don't like the insinuation that he's "lining his pockets" or conflicts of interest in advance of having that information.

I agree with you on that, somewhat, although mnnb did use the words "if" and "could be"... Now if ITTF does indeed award exclusive contracts to Adham's private company, I don't see how he should stay on his job as our President... Mnnb's suspicion is not unfounded, based on this latest finding.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 06:28 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
wturber wrote:

Certainly not a smoking gun, but it does have the appearance of a possible conflict of interest that raises some red flags, does it not?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 07:59 

wturber wrote:

If you manage to actually find something of significance, then by all means, make it public. But this kind of insinuation of misdeeds without strong evidence seems inappropriate...

I'm with wturber. These are very strong and serious allegations. Until credible evidence is presented, we should not smear someone's name on the strength of our own suspicions or other peole's allegations. It is not right. OOAK must be seen to be fair or it risks fading into insignificance or ridicule.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 08:25 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

pippy1 wrote:
wturber wrote:

If you manage to actually find something of significance, then by all means, make it public. But this kind of insinuation of misdeeds without strong evidence seems inappropriate...

I'm with wturber. These are very strong and serious allegations. Until credible evidence is presented, we should not smear someone's name on the strength of our own suspicions or other peole's allegations. It is not right. OOAK must be seen to be fair or it risks fading into insignificance or ridicule.

You don't see it as a fair question to ask why Adham is on the board of a company doing business with the ITTF? Also, who has made any allegations? I didn't.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 08:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Unproven allegations aside, Adham should indicate how much money (if any) his company received from ITTF since he became President... It is a non-paying job, after all.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 08:44 
Super User

pippy1 wrote:
These are very strong and serious allegations. Until credible evidence is presented, we should not smear someone's name on the strength of our own suspicions or other peole's allegations.

Until now, I have not seen any smearing of someone's name on this thread.

To express personal doubts or suspicions is not an act of smearing.

Of course, doubts or suspicions can be farfetched, but it is apparently not the case here.

Adham Sharara is at the same time the president of the non-profit organisation "The International Table Tennis Federation" and a director of the private company "The International Table Tennis Federation". Looks a little bit unusual to me. I think it is worth taking a closer look at. Maybe it will help understand certain things better.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 08:58 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
roundrobin wrote:
Unproven allegations aside, Adham should indicate how much money (if any) his company received from ITTF since he became President... It is a non-paying job, after all.

This discussion has taken an interesting but dangerous turn.

The question asked regarding Adham indicating how much money (if any) his company received (technically is it his company or is he a co owner or just an employer or shareholder, strong thing to say "his company" if he isn't a majority share holder) is in my opinion irrelevant unless there is something in the constitution or rules of the ITTF which prevents the ITTF Chairman from also being a director of a company which has involvement with either table tennis in general (either promotion, manufacturing or other) whilst at the same time being ITTF Chairman.

Does anyone know and have concrete documented proof, not hearsay, innuendo or insinuation of what the ITTF rules state about the ITTF Chairman (and by that I mean anyone filling that post) can and cannot do as ITTF Chairman? One step at a time is needed here.

On a wider issue I think people should choose their words very carefully. Whilst there is freedom of speach and the ability to hide behind insinuation and clever / vague word play there are also libel laws both for individuals and forums. In my opinon, although interesting this topic and those participating need to tread carefully if they continue the path they are taking. This topic is in danger of turning into an "Is Adham corrupt" thread. Interesting, disconcerting if true but possibly legally dangerous for the forum unless managed carefully.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 09:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Debater wrote:
roundrobin wrote:

This discussion has taken an interesting but dangerous turn.

The question asked regarding Adham indicating how much money (if any) his company received (technically is it his company or is he a co owner or just an employer or shareholder, strong thing to say "his company" if he isn't a majority share holder) is in my opinion irrelevant unless there is something in the constitution or rules of the ITTF which prevents the ITTF Chairman from also being a director of a company which has involvement with either table tennis in general (either promotion, manufacturing or other) whilst at the same time being ITTF Chairman.

Does anyone know and have concrete documented proof, not hearsay, innuendo or insinuation of what the ITTF rules state about the ITTF Chairman (and by that I mean anyone filling that post) can and cannot do as ITTF Chairman? One step at a time is needed here.

On a wider issue I think people should choose their words very carefully. Whilst there is freedom of speach and the ability to hide behind insinuation and clever / vague word play there are also libel laws both for individuals and forums. In my opinon, although interesting this topic and those participating need to tread carefully if they continue the path they are taking. This topic is in danger of turning into an "Is Adham corrupt" thread. Interesting, disconcerting if true but possibly legally dangerous for the forum unless managed carefully.

I agree this thread is turning dangerous with the latest findings...

In terms of libel laws, the burden of proof is much higher when applied to public officials than private citizens, at least here in America. It's not considered libelous to publicly suspect corruption without concrete proof when it comes to elected officers, as long as it's related to the position of power in question.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 09:22 
Super User

Debater wrote:
... dangerous turn.

...people should choose their words very carefully.

...libel laws both for individuals and forums.

...This topic is in danger of turning into an "Is Adham corrupt" thread.

...possibly legally dangerous for the forum

Thank you, I can see your point. Maybe you could agree with me, that suspecting corruption is what you can find every day in the press in free countries. It is not a libel, it is not dangerous, it is covered by freedom of speech and is, regarding the ITTF, no, regarding the ITTFs, long overdue.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 09:32 
Super User

Debater wrote:

I am very glad, that you have chosen to actively participate in this "dangerous" debate. :)

It might nevertheless be relevant, even if the ITTF rules do not forbid it. There are laws too, not only the ITTF rules. It might be, that certain activities are not fully in compliance with certain laws. Theoretically. So, the whole thing is worth discussing to me.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 09:33 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

It looks like some three-way deals deals are being reached between national associations, the ITTF and TMS International.

http://www.butterflyonline.com/2010/10ITTFNA.asp
http://www.ottf.org/new_deal.htm

If Adham is a director of TMS International as the Canadian corporate document indicates, I wonder if this is being disclosed to the national commissions?

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 09:37 
Super User

pippy1 wrote:

To be clear, I did not see anyone making allegations.

I agree that OOAK should be fair. That's why I'm so befuddled and annoyed by the double standard of evidence that some people here seem to embrace.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 26  Next