OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 04 May 2024, 09:12

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 09:38 
Super User

Smartguy wrote:
To express personal doubts or suspicions is not an act of smearing.

Actually, it can be.

Smartguy wrote:
Adham Sharara is at the same time the president of the non-profit organisation "The International Table Tennis Federation" and a director of the private company "The International Table Tennis Federation". Looks a little bit unusual to me. I think it is worth taking a closer look at. Maybe it will help understand certain things better.

Yes. This is sufficient to ask the question about the nature of the various relationships. It falls under the category of an appearance of possible conflict of interest. But that doesn't mean that there actually is a conflict and while I can understand the musing about "pocket lining" in casual private conversation, I think saying it on a public forum does cross a line.

It would be better if this stayed on the simpler topic of the celluloid ban.

Last edited by wturber on 10 Dec 2011, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 09:39 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Also we don't know who owns TMS International. Is it the three directors in partnership, the ITTF itself or some other entity? This is something that would be interesting to find out.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 09:40 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

wturber wrote:
I agree that OOAK should be fair. That's why I'm so befuddled and annoyed by the double standard of evidence that some people here seem to embrace.

Can you be more specific?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 09:45 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
Also we don't know who owns TMS International. Is it the three directors in partnership, the ITTF itself or some other entity? This is something that would be interesting to find out.

It isn't that uncommon for a member of a board of directors to have no direct financial interest in a company - especially with smaller organizations.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 09:47 
Super User

wturber wrote:
Smartguy wrote:
To express personal doubts or suspicions is not an act of smearing.

Actually, it can be.

Well, theoretically, if someone makes up something phony and then expresses his personal doubts or suspicions based on this phony thing, then yes, but this is not the case here.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 09:58 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Smartguy wrote:
Thank you, I can see your point. Maybe you could agree with me, that suspecting corruption is what you can find every day in the press in free countries. It is not a libel, it is not dangerous, it is covered by freedom of speech and is, regarding the ITTF, no, regarding the ITTFs, long overdue.

Corruption is a strong word and is a statement that something wrong has been done. Smartguy, do you know for a fact that the ITTF Chairman is not allowed by the post of ITTF Chairman's terms of employment to be a director of a company which has involvement of table tennis whilst at the same time being the ITTF Chairman?

And if it isn't potentially libelous, or dangerous why do you choose to use words like "apparantly" and "looks a bit unusual" "might be". That's lke using the word "allegedly" - a get out of jail way of accusing someone of doing something wrong. In your opinion is Adham in breach of the rules pertaining to activities undertaken by the ITTF Chairman, no allegedly, no looks unusual, just a straight YES or NO. ON SECOND THOUGHTS DON'T ANSWER THAT, instead, as you are good at digging around and seem to know something about the ITTF constitution can you find anything in the terms of office or whatever it's called for the post of ITTF Chairman that states what, if any business activities the ITTF Chairman "cannot" be engaged in whilst also being ITTF Chairman?

Last time I checked, this forum wasn't "the press" nor does it have a legal team to support it when people who aren't legally trained like certain press barons have. Don't get me wrong, I find the information now being brought to the forums attention much more interesting than has previously been the case and I would love to know the answer to my question about what the position of ITTF Chairman can and cannot do in terms of outside business activities is. I also know for a fact if I was the editor of a newspaper I'd want to know for sure first before printing anything what the answer to my question was. It would mean suspicious and unusual could potentially be changed for "is in breach of" and "is breaking the rules of office - once I knew for sure I'd obviously drip feed the info to stretch out the story and increase sales - Facts are much more powerful than inference and "opinion" and make this topic far more worth discussing to me. At the moment we only seem to have some of the facts and lot's of opinion. Pity.

Edit - I also agree to a degree with wturber that this topic is about the Celluloid balls being banned - unless of course the intention might have been to potentially always use it to introduce the business activities of the ITTF Chairman? Discussing the role and responsibilities of the post of ITTF Chairman should possibly have it's own thread.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 10:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Debater wrote:
I also know for a fact if I was the editor of a newspaper I'd want to know for sure first before printing anything what the answer to my question was. It would mean suspicious and unusual could potentially be changed for "is in breach of" and "is breaking the rules of office - once I knew for sure I'd obviously drip feed the info to stretch out the story and increase sales - Facts are much more powerful than inference and "opinion" and make this topic far more worth discussing to me. At the moment we only seem to have some of the facts and lot's of opinion. Pity.

If facts checked out to be true as you demanded, then Adham's conflict of interest is no longer "potentially in breach of", isn't it? And I know it won't simply be "much more powerful than inferences and opinions"... It will be IT.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 10:09 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
wturber wrote:
I agree that OOAK should be fair. That's why I'm so befuddled and annoyed by the double standard of evidence that some people here seem to embrace.

Can you be more specific?

I could be, but the topic is already heavily derailed. But I was not referring to any post I recall you making.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 10:20 
Super User

Debater wrote:
Corruption is a strong word and is a statement that something wrong has been done.

The word "corruption" is not a statement.

Debater wrote:
Smartguy, do you know for a fact that the ITTF Chairman is not allowed by the post of ITTF Chairman's terms of employment to be a director of a company which has involvement of table tennis whilst at the same time being the ITTF Chairman?

I have already answer that: "It might nevertheless be relevant, even if the ITTF rules do not forbid it. There are laws too, not only the ITTF rules. It might be, that certain activities are not fully in compliance with certain laws. Theoretically. So, the whole thing is worth discussing to me."

Debater wrote:
And if it isn't potentially libelous, or dangerous why do you choose to use words like "apparantly" and "looks a bit unusual" "might be".

I am sorry, did I choose the wrong words? I will look them up in the dictionary, many thanks for your help.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 10:22 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Conditions to where a conflict of interest occur when an individual or organization has multiple interests which could affect a decision.

When TMS International reached an agreement with the ITTF to become the ITTF sponsorship and TV rights partner till 2016, it seems the above conditions were met. Not to suggest that there was any wrongdoing here, but there is at least the appearance of possible impropriety.

Also, it seems this corporation was formed shortly after Adham took office, which is interesting timing. Is it a stretch to suggest that this corporation was formed specifically to do business with the ITTF?

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 10:26 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
roundrobin wrote:
If facts checked out to be true as you demanded, then Adham's conflict of interest is no longer "potentially in breach of", isn't it? And I know it won't simply be "much more powerful than inferences and opinions"... It will be IT.

It's opinion until it's proven correct, then it becomes true. Nothing has been proven yet just "unusual activity potentially identified" - and yes for me, very disconcerting activity.

And I love the way roundrobin how you describe me as "demanding" which in my language infers me to be like I'm some bully or self righteous person who wants an answer now. I actually "asked" the question because I was curious to know the answer. See how easy it is to have different opinons on the same thing - even something as simple as asking a question and who's to say which one of us is right without facts - mind you who cares.

Smartguy wrote:
I have already answer that: "It might nevertheless be relevant, even if the ITTF rules do not forbid it. There are laws too, not only the ITTF rules. It might be, that certain activities are not fully in compliance with certain laws. Theoretically. So, the whole thing is worth discussing to me."

For the record, you didn't answer my question - you chose to answer a totally different one you made up to suit your own argument. Which leads me to conclude the answer to [i]my question [/i]is actually no it doesn't.

This is a thread on the Celluloid balls not a discussion on the ITTF president. I think if you and others want to continue to discuss it it should have a thread of it's own. But that's just my own personal opinion and possible a couple of others and for the record I am only asking for that to happen.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 10:26 
Super User

Debater wrote:
Discussing the role and responsibilities of the post of ITTF Chairman should possibly have it's own thread.

"Celluloid ban"-thing and what we are discussing now might be related, so I find it to fit very well in this thread.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 11:58 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

I posted this in Adham's thread to hopefully clear up some of the confusion.

Quote:
Adham,

Can you tell us about TMS International? It seems to be a private firm, headed by a former ITTF marketing director, which has a long term deal to handle ITTF marketing.

This corporation, full name "Table Tennis Marketing Services International," appears to have been created specifically to do business with the ITTF and, in fact, is located just a few paces down the hallway from the ITTF President's Office in Ottawa.

What are the benefits of the ITTF subbing out the rights to handle sponsorships and TV rights until 2016 to this outside company, rather than keep it in house?

Also why you are listed in corporate records as one of the directors of this corporation? Do you have a financial interest?

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 12:54 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
I posted this in Adham's thread to hopefully clear up some of the confusion.

Thank you, Mynamenotbob, it is a very good idea. I think, it might be interesting to read something he already told us about himself on this forum:

http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4772&start=285

Quote:
…No one has ever thanked me for the volunteer work as the ITTF President ! Not yet. Of course I get a lot of praise from the members of the ITTF all the time and they congratulate me for running successful meetings or for staging successful events. But in all the Forums I have posted, no one said something like "Thank you for doing this work as a volunteer".

…Actually I am not the only volunteer official of the ITTF. All elecetd positions are on a voluntary basis. My hope is to change that for the next president, of course I cannot change it for myself as it would be a conflict of interest. But my hope is that in the future the President of the ITTF be a professional (100% dedication to the job) like it is in Football (Soccer), Volleyball, Tennis, etc., where the President although elected is paid a salary so that they can dedicate all their time to the task. In my case, I have to run my own business, while volunteering as ITTF President. Not counting travel time, I try to spend at least 50% of my time on ITTF work. This applies to all elected ITTF officials be they the Ec members or the Committee Chairmen. Of course, each person oputs in as much voluntary time as their own circumstances allow. Some are retired and have more time, while others can only afford weekends and some evening time. In my case, I am lucky because of flexible time in my own affairs, so I can dedicate more time to ITTF work.

http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4772&start=300

Quote:
… The "thanks" comments were more tongue in cheek, just to say that people tend to complain more than offering congratulations. This is human nature. Yes, it is a volunteer position. I am not sure if the players know or not, we don't go around mentioning it. But having said that, if I take a volunteer position, then it's my choice and I have to give the position the time it deserves. The disadvantage is that we may lose very good candidates that cannot leave their current jobs. I'm lucky that I have that flexibility. I am sure we could get a much better president than me if it were a well paid job. I grew from within as a player, coach, club president, national association and then finally ITTF. So, I do have a bit of an "insider" advantage. But imagine if we could attract a top CEO from a top international company? Of course we would have to pay him/her handsomely, but it may be worth it. I hope to influence this change for the next president.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 13:01 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Well we know TMS International doesn't work for free.

BTW, I'd be a lot more appreciative of Adham's work if there was no big ball, frictionless LP ban or plans for even bigger plastic balls.

| My OOAK Interview

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next