OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2014, 12:46 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
In this interview, outgoing ITTF President Adahm Sharara discusses "the darkest moment in the history of the ITTF" (other than his election as president) as he spins a little revisionist history -- the fact remains that he never fully answered the allegations and engaged in a successful coverup.

Quote:
Ok. Let's fast-forward to the beginning of 2013. You quietly announced that you would stand for president one last time. Then, it seemed from out of nowhere, came an avalanche of accusations, which, in the end, were all for naught. That scenario must have been really grueling to deal with on top of all of your responsibilities.

Adham: I must say that this was the darkest moment in the history of the ITTF as far as I am concerned.

I know that in other sports, and also in politics in general, especially in some cultures, this type of smear campaign is common. For me, this was the first time that I would face an open and public smear campaign that went far beyond my professional and volunteer responsibilities.

Those that led that campaign and had any part in it should bury their selfish heads in the sand and be ashamed of themselves. The damage caused is absolutely enormous. Copies of accusations were sent to the IOC and to the press. They also attacked my family, my integrity and the integrity of the ITTF.

This was a difficult time not only for me and my family, but also for the ITTF. I became very angry and started to question myself and the validity of 22 years of volunteer dedication to the ITTF (in 2013: 14 as President, 4 as Deputy and 4 as Continental VP). I could not understand how anyone, especially TT colleagues, would take such low and despicable action.

But, as always, I thought about it a lot and came to some conclusions and decided to fight back in a systematic and clean way and to prove them wrong. As I always say, "It was a blessing in disguise." At the end the truth prevailed, and the outcome was a much more united ITTF.

Also, the overwhelming election win in Paris for my team and for me was uplifting and energized me. But, at the same time, I thought it would be best to step aside in due time, and not during an election year to avoid other vultures appearing. So I consulted with many inside the ITTF and we came up with the perfect solution, which was successfully implemented at the Tokyo AGM.

Now I feel good. I feel vindicated. And I am motivated to do the best for our sport. Top-5, man! Top-5!

But I will tell you a secret, well now it won’t be a secret anymore, my intention was already not to run in 2013. I had decided this at the London Olympic Games. I saw the ITTF as a solid and successful federation, and I was buoyed by the success in London, so I thought this was the best exit scenario.

Then some ill-intentioned people started rumours of impropriety already in London. I reported them to the EC in September at our meeting in Paris, and I confronted a couple of the accusers. I thought things would die down after that. But, instead, the vindictive nature of some made matters worse and the accusations escalated. So, with my close supporters, we decided that I had to stay and run one more time, otherwise people may believe the rumours and false accusations.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2014, 13:12 
Super User

Sharara makes me want to :puke:

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2014, 14:58 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

The darkest moment in the sport of TT is yet to come, I am afraid to say.

:-|

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2014, 20:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
It's interesting to read that he says he did not plan to run for president, but changed his mind after the corruption claims came. I can certainly understand that if he had decided to leave at that time, it would be portrayed as an admission of guilt.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2014, 20:43 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Leaving now will still be portrayed as an admission of guilt. The cloud of suspicion against him will never go away.

Remember, Sharara announced he would run again for President in February 2013, but Bosi's allegations didn't come until April of that year. Sharara is claiming he made the decision to run again in 2013 based on pressure from earlier charges of impropriety made against him. The fact that so many people were raising questions that he felt compelled to run again only adds credence to the later allegations from Bosi.

I also question his "clean and systematic" way to fight back, namely not answering the allegations of missing funds, his secret ownership of TMS, paying himself exorbitant rents out of the ITTF coffers, etc., PLUS not allowing his opponent to use the ITTF website to get his message out, PLUS not allowing his opponent to make any meaningful speech to the electorate at the AGM.

Yes, clean and systematic, like a perfect bank robbery.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2014, 23:07 

mynamenotbob wrote:
Remember, Sharara announced he would run again for President in February 2013, but Bosi's allegations didn't come until April of that year.
It's even worse than that. Sharara announced he would be running for President on 12/31/2012 :
Adham Sharara, ITTF website, 12/31/2012 wrote:
During the 2013 World Championships, we will have our traditional Annual General Meeting, however, this year is an election year. I am proud and honoured to announce that I will seek re-election as President for one last term.

He's lying. Again. Nihil novi sub sole.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!