OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 18:06

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2015, 12:43 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
There is a closed tournament being held locally that is only for those that have played in the most recent pennant competition.

Traditionally, the personal grade that a player had for the beginning of the pennant competition is the lowest grade a player can enter in the closed tournament.

A number of players have been regraded at the end of the pennant competition based on their results in that.

A new grading list dated August 2015 was published in July, after the tournament entry forms were distributed but before the entry cut-off for the tournament. This grading list is supposedly for the next pennant competition.

The entry form states that the grading to be used was to be the one dated July 2015.

Some entries have been received for players who got upgraded to a higher grade in the August 2015 grading list, for the grade that they had during the recent pennant competition.

3 or 4 days before the actual tournament this has been raised.

What should the tournament committee do with such entries? The tournament organiser (one person) will be left to implement the decision.
    Tell the players involved that their entry is not accepted as is but give them the option (assume) that they will play in the higher grade.
    Accept such entries but make a policy that in the future the most recent grading list should be used and make sure that the entry form agrees with the grading list.
    Accept such entries and formalise the policy that players enter in the grade that applied during the most recent pennant competition.
    Some other course of action.

Justify your answer if possible.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2015, 13:11 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Hi Retriever. I do all the grading at our club. We have our championships next week and there is always someone hard done by.

If I understand right it seems quite clear that the entry says grading is based on the list dated July 2015 (not the one dated August but published in July). Since then a new list has come out which some players have mistakenly used that list to enter. Seems pretty simple to me, just go by the old list, if anyone complains, the rules are there to follow. As long as you are consistent then although some might not like it, you can't please everyone. I assume some people would have gone down grades as well but too bad.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2015, 13:51 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Let's see - people can play in higher grades than their grade but (obviously) not in lower grades. So the people with displeasure would be 1) people who've been downgraded since the last list came out (but can't take advantage, and have to play in higher grades) and 2) people who have been upgraded in the newest list and used the newest list by mistake - they COULD have entered a lower grade if not for the mistake.

I agree, as long as you stick by the earlier ruling and are consistent, no one can really complain. They can be displeased, but there's no real cause for complaint.

There's a third category - people who were downgraded in the latest list and mistakenly used that latest list to enter in a lower grade than they're entitled to, in which case you'll have to reject those entries in order to be consistent. You could automatically enter them in an extra higher-grade category, or refund them the entry fee for that particular lower grade class (I assume players will usually sign up for 2-3 different classes in the tournament, like they do in the US).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2015, 08:16 

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Cobalt wrote:
Quote:
If I understand right it seems quite clear that the entry says grading is based on the list dated July 2015 (not the one dated August but published in July). Since then a new list has come out which some players have mistakenly used that list to enter. Seems pretty simple to me, just go by the old list, if anyone complains, the rules are there to follow. As long as you are consistent then although some might not like it, you can't please everyone. I assume some people would have gone down grades as well but too bad.

No, most players (it is hard to tell for players that have not been regraded :) ) have used the grade they actually had for the previous pennant competition as their minimum. Unfortunately a majority at a very recent committee meeting don't agree :(