OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2016, 19:56 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Back in the day (1970s is when I first became aware of table tennis stuff) red was the predominant color. Pretty much all "pro" sheets were red. though there were green sheets (and possibly blue) here and there (I remember buying a green sheet of Spectol once). However, where you DID find a lot of green and blue sheets was on the cheap Chinese pre-made bats you found in bookstores. Generally pretty low quality, the topsheets would come off in a couple months of playing (after which you'd play with the bare sponge). Most of these were still red, though. Didn't see any black sheets until Tackiness showed up, aside from the original Yasaka Black Power (the blurb on the back of which claims that there was a "taboo" against black sheets - presumably the addition of black pigment to the rubber made bad things happen). But you do see black sheets of rubber on even earlier bats on the ITTF museum web site - including some hardbats. Other colors? Yasaka made "Tornado", which was had a raw-latex transparent amber topsheet, I remember someone at the University club I joined had a pair of sheets on his bat. (When the two color rule came out they had to make it in red and black, and I never did get a chance to buy the amber-colored sheets.) And the first 729 Friendship sheets that arrived in the US were a deep plum color (go find some Guo Yuehua videos, he used it).

Incidentally, Cai Zhenhua was a player who was really hurt by the two color rule (or you could say, he thrived in the absence of it) - he used a combination bat and his opponents had no idea which rubber he was serving with.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2017, 04:20 
Super User

Blade: Donic Waldner WC 89 FL
FH: Donic BlueStar A2 Red Max
BH: DMS Firestorm Black 1.8
Yes, I remember using the 729 Friendship Plum color rubber back then, with black anti on the opposite side.

"Incidentally, Cai Zhenhua was a player who was really hurt by the two color rule (or you could say, he thrived in the absence of it) - he used a combination bat and his opponents had no idea which rubber he was serving with.

Iskandar"

Yes, he was just as the Seemiller brothers and Eric Boggan (and other similar style players) were hurt by the change.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2017, 07:48 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
In the late 70s & early 80s, I had an all-Butterfly setup with green inverted rubbers on both sides. I wish I still had it. No idea of the specific blade/rubbers.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2017, 01:40 

mynamenotbob wrote:
In the late 70s & early 80s, I had an all-Butterfly setup with green inverted rubbers on both sides. I wish I still had it. No idea of the specific blade/rubbers.

definitely late 70s, Tamasu Butterfly straight handle, green "soft D13" (yellow sponge) on each side. Maybe my racket remained by a friend of mine in Alessandria, near Turin....