OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 11:45

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2017, 06:36 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Yesterday I read this on the TTA web site:
https://www.tabletennis.org.au/news/7999/
(follow the link at the end for whatever meat there is).

I was aware that both the President & CEO of TTA had resigned recently, but being a local comp player, a volunteer for table tennis at a community centre and a PCYC, on the local association committee, and a state level umpire, was obviously not well connected enough to hear why, and the announcements of both on the TTA web site gave no clue. Am I putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 here?

Can TTA be a little more transparent about what is going on?

According to the open letter from 19 December, it was known from the completion of the Australian Open that TTA was in trouble. TTA is apparently also committed to providing open, transparent and ongoing dialogue with all key stakeholders. I am affiliated with TT NSW at the highest level. Am I not a stakeholder? Or is the state association a bottleneck in this instance?

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2017, 10:09 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
The State Associations would be the direct stakeholders of TTA (as well as other bodies that work directly with TTA), and as mentioned in the letter, TTA has been is discussion with the State Associations for a while to resolve some of the issues.
I think the letter was a good move to inform the rest of the TT community. Whether they should have published this earlier, or more details, is open to debate. I do know Scott (the new CEO since a few months ago) personally, and I think he's highly capable of sorting out the issues.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2017, 18:29 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
The open letter appears quite reasonable. They have some financial difficulties and are working through them. Could probably ask for more info if you wanted.

If be pretty confident that 100% of our membership couldn't care less unless it comes to a point where we can't play anymore. Local issues are far more important to us and even then most people have their head in the sand.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 15:53 

SHANGHAI,— The powerful China men’s table tennis team today pulled out of next week’s Australian Open citing fatigue, deepening a crisis sparked by the removal of their popular head coach.

It comes days after the world’s top three players — Ma Long, Fan Zhendong and Xu Xin — failed to appear for their second-round matches at the prestigious China Open in protest at the ousting of highly respected coach Liu Guoliang.

The team’s withdrawal from the event on Australia’s Gold Coast was “disappointing news for all table tennis fans around the world”, the governing International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) said in a statement, adding that China’s women would play.

The Chinese Table Tennis Association (CTTA), which is investigating the embarrassing no-show by the players last Friday in Chengdu, a short while later confirmed that it was not sending a men’s side to Australia but made no mention of the row over Liu.

“The main players on the men’s team are physically exhausted due to continuous participation in competitions, and when injury and illness are added, they are not in a competitive state,” the CTTA said in a statement that was quickly ridiculed by Chinese fans on social media.

Around the same time, the Olympic and world champion Ma echoed that explanation.

“Since the end of May I have continuously competed in the world championship and the Japan and China Opens,” the world number one wrote on China’s Twitter-like Weibo.

“Due to injuries, illness and physical exhaustion, I did not sign up for the July Australian Open and I hope fans do not read too much into this.”

Fan and Xu, who are ranked second and third in the world, respectively, gave similar explanations on Weibo.

Two Chinese coaches also pulled out of the event in Chengdu, triggering a furore in table tennis-mad China.

The coaches and players were upset that Liu, a former Grand Slam champion, had lost his job as head coach in a reshuffle at the top of the CTTA, which is now scrambling to contain the fall-out.

Chinese sports fans were deeply sceptical of the CTTA’s latest explanation.

“Do you think Chinese people are gullible like a three-year-old?” one asked on Weibo.

The Australian Open, an event on the sport’s top-level Platinum World Tour, starts on July 4. — AFP