OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:17

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 15:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
This topic has been discussed on many occasions, and no doubt some of you have grown tired of the subject, but many are still upset by this decision (myself included :oops: )

I've posted some of Adham Sharara's comments on this subject below, where he explains the reasoning behind the decision. This is so that if he willing to tackle this subject again, he wont' have to repeat himself, and it might also already answer some of the questions we have.

Last edited by haggisv on 09 Nov 2008, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 15:11 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Quote:
The rules that are used to govern "play" in table tennis are actually called 'The Laws of Table Tennis". These are simple, very simple and very easy to understand. Rule 2.4.7 was adopted by the AGM of the ITTF with more than 90% in favour. Why? It was adopted because it was felt that the rule regarding the racket and racket coverung needed to be reinforced and made explicit. For a very long time the composition of the racket is by rule as follows:
2.04.01 The racket may be of any size, shape or weight but the blade shall be flat and rigid.
2.04.02 At least 85% of the blade by thickness shall be of natural wood; an adhesive layer within the blade may be reinforced with fibrous material such as carbon fibre, glass fibre or compressed paper, but shall not be thicker than 7.5% of the total thickness or 0.35mm, whichever is the smaller.
2.04.03 A side of the blade used for striking the ball shall be covered with either ordinary pimpled rubber, with pimples outwards having a total thickness including adhesive of not more than 2mm, or sandwich rubber, with pimples inwards or outwards, having a total thickness including adhesive of not more than 4mm.
2.04.03.01 Ordinary pimpled rubber is a single layer of non-cellular rubber, natural or synthetic, with pimples evenly distributed over its surface at a density of not less than 10 per cm2 and not more than 30 per cm2.
2.04.03.02 Sandwich rubber is a single layer of cellular rubber covered with a single outer layer of ordinary pimpled rubber, the thickness of the pimpled rubber not being more than 2mm.
2.04.04 The covering material shall extend up to but not beyond the limits of the blade, except that the part nearest the handle and gripped by the fingers may be left uncovered or covered with any material.
2.04.05 The blade, any layer within the blade and any layer of covering material or adhesive on a side used for striking the ball shall be continuous and of even thickness.
2.04.06 The surface of the covering material on a side of the blade, or of a side of the blade if it is left uncovered, shall be matt, bright red on one side and black on the other.
2.04.07 The covering material should be used as it has been authorised by the ITTF without any physical, chemical or other treatment, changing or modifying playing properties, friction, outlook, colour, structure, surface, etc.
2.04.07.01 Slight deviations from continuity of surface or uniformity of colour due to accidental damage or wear may be allowed provided that they do not significantly change the characteristics of the surface.
2.04.08 At the start of a match and whenever he changes his racket during a match a player shall show his opponent and the umpire the racket he is about to use and shall allow them to examine it.
If you respect all other points, then 2.4.7 is not really necessary. But it was felt necessary only because additives were used, which is againt the rule as written above, so a specific rule was made to clarify the other points. In fact it was never legal to have anything in the racket other that the Blade, the sponge & rubber and the adhesive. Over time and because of some circumstances the adhesive became an important part of the racket. This was never the intent. The intent was to have an adhsive to affix the racket cover to the blade. Then it was discovered that the adhesive is toxic. Several steps from 1993 to 2008 were taken to address the health issue. Then with the total ban of VOCs new products such as boosters and tuners became a substitute to the effects of speed glue. But they are illegal according to the Racket Rule as it stands now. If one day an association proposes that we accept additives of any kind, or specific additives, or even Mango Juice (I love Mango juice), then OK< at that time they would become legal. Until then they are illegal and should not be used.

Now, let's look at the reality. Some of the additives although illegal are not being detected right now. So those players that have no moral problem in brealing the rule use them. Other players choose not to use them (I am referring to the international competitions). So what is the ITTF to do? Is it fair that some players respect the rule (no matter what we think of the rule) and other players don't. Wjat is the ITTF's role in this case? The answer is simple. Find ways to ensure that the rule as it stands is respected. And this is exactly what the ITTF is doing. Instruments that will detect additives (except Mango Juice) will be in place shortly.

I also want to address: "The ITTF made so many major changes to the rules". How many changes? In reality 3 major changes:
1. 40mm ball in 2000 (proposed by China in 1999
2. 11-point games in 2001 (proposed by the Athletes Commission of the ITTF)
3. Open service rule in 2002 (proposed by several national associations)
4. Elimination of VOCs in adhesives in 2008 (proposed by Japan in 2004)

That's it. Rule 2.4.7 is not a new rule. It's a specific confoirmation of the exisiting rule defining the composition of the racket and forbidding the change of the characteristics of the racket after it has been approved. This is the same in ALL sports.

I hope this explanation is clear. Every one has the right not to agree with a rule, but please do not ask me to explain again. The rule will not change with more explanation. The only way to change a rule is to follow the process in place

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 15:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Quote:
First of all the VOC ban was discussed at length from meeting to meeting as long as I can remember, at least from 1989 to 2004 (15 years). The decision was then finally taken in 2004 and implementation in 2008. As you say sufficient time and sufficient advance notice. So, let's focus on rule 2.4.7 and your impression. This rule was put forward to ensure that rubbers are not treated after approval. This rule is merely an emphasis on the existing rule. If the ITTF authorizes a rubber or approves a piece of equipment it should then not be altered. This exists in all sports. Why is this so difficult to understand? What would be the purpose of the approval and authorization then, if after approval an equipment could be altered? Boosters and Tuners are "added" to the already approved equipment (additives). This is not allowed in any sport. In this case it dopes not matter if what you add is healthy or not, it's against the rule to add anything after approval, even before rule 2.4.7. This rule was passed by more than 90% of the members for "clarity". To make it absolutely clear that additives are not allowed. Who told the manufacturers to produce and sell illegal additives? Not the ITTF. Who told the players to treat their equipment and alter it? Not the ITTF. All those that were already using boosters or any type of additive were already in breach of ITTF rules. Rule 2.4.7 made it clear to the manufacturers that they should not produce and sell any additives. To me, this is responsible managemnet. If somethiung is not clear, make it clear. It's a pity that many players are affected by trying to adhere to the rule, but they should never had resorted to additives as they have always not been according to our rules. Now if one day the rule is changed and such additives are allowed, then OK, welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 15:28 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
I read this and it begs for some answers.
When speed glue was banned, true the rule was there about not modifying the topsheet. Why did they not see what was happening SOONER with tuners and tell the manufacturers they could not do this? And the players? It was let go for a long time. Not only did they let it go, they warned, some of the tuners have dangerous substances in them. That was looked on as an OK to use at your own risk at the time. When they saw it was not going to go away, then they changed the tactics. Enforce the No changes to the topsheet to the max possible. They could have done this along with the Glue ban and saved players and manufacturers a big headache.

Next is something similar. From my understanding, TENSORS are called that because they have figured out a way to TENSION the topsheet. Why is the ITTF not coming out and BANNING this technology? (If that is what a tensor really is) If not, I apologise for my misunderstanding of what a TENSOR is.
If the topsheet IS streched in TENSORS, they are illegal. The ITTF should be aware of this right now and could end the future problems if they finally rule against them. I don't use tensors but i think there is going to be a run on asparin real soon. Buy stock.

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Last edited by hookshot on 05 Nov 2008, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 15:31 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I think the main thing that bothers me about the tuner ban is this:

Speed glue ban was proposed in 2004, to be implimented in 2008. It was to be banned for health reasons, and plenty of notice of the ban was given.
The ITTF set a new (and very low) VOC limit to detect speed glue, and since it's the VOCs that make the glue so dangerous, anything below this limit was likely to be much safer. OK, so far I have no problems with this.

At this point many manufacturer started developing tuners / boosters, not to cheat the system, but simply as a substitude for speed, as the low VOC content would presumably make it safe enough. As there was no indication (that I know of) that the ITTF did not approve of this, manufacturers started making these, and players started to experiment to find a tuner/booster that suited them...

Then the new rule (2.04.07) was brought in... which did not explicitly ban tuners, but implied that tuners 'may' be banned. Only further clarification from the equipment committee members revealed that this indeed meant they would be banned. There was clear confusion as I've seen conflicting Emails from the members, some saying that it would ban tuners, some said it didn't. From this I deduced it was certainly not the direct intent of this rule to ban the tuners, or it would have been crystal clear to all members.

I estimate it was about a 2 year period over which tuners were developed, and players experimented, and I saw no indication from the ITTF that these would not be allowed... All the marketing indicated VOC-free glue alternative, implying that this would be legal...

So it's not surprising we have many upset players, who can suddenly no longer use tuners/boosters, with only a few months notice before the ban, where speed glue was given more than a year notice. There has obviously been some great problems in communication, as a simple message from the ITTF at the time that tuners were starting to be developed, would have avoided this complete saga...

I would personally like to see a years grace period, where players get more notice to find new alternative rubbers, manufacturers to developed new alternatives, and the ITTF to make a more reliable version of the ENEZ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 15:37 

I edited mine while you were typing your Haggisv. We are both saying the same thing.
What are your thoughts on TENSORS? They cannot enforce some rules to the ultimate degree and be sloppy on others.

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 17:01 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
The only thing I can see that might say Tensors are legal is the fact that in ITTF tests the rubber gets stretched a long way out. 2 and a half times its size or something IIRC. So stretching a rubber out with sponge is leaving the rubber in an "as tested" condition of sort. So, this would suggest tuners should also be legal if they only stretch the rubber and do not leave any trace of VOC or expand the rubber beyond allowable limits (eg. 4mm).

I will still note I disagree that very low levels of VOC are ANY risk to anyones health. I think the ENEZ machines should have higher limits set rather than lower, where false positives are likely and where I see no evidence of any health risk being presented. As Hookshot has said, OH&S laws in most countries have allowed limits to chemicals stored in the environment and have MSDS sheets to make users aware of the dangers of using those chemicals. Why is Tabletennis so much stricter than workplace laws? Has there been consultation on these limits with organisations such as the NHMRC? Or have they been set "unscientifically" based merely on unqualified people's opinions?

If there was evidence put forward to explain these decisions they wouldn't seem to be so arbitrary. However, I doubt this evidence exists. It makes the ITTF look very unprofessional and IMO brings the game into disrepute. How else would anyone view a game where the international governing body acts arbitrarily against its world of players best interest by causing upheaval and apparently unnecessary cost.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 17:21 

Adham has stated they will be checking to see if a rubber is streched. When they test, it is not streched. A tensor streches it. It is illegal in my opinion.

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 17:24 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Hookshot, I'm sure it said in the T4 leaflet that the rubber is stretched in the testing process. :?:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 17:56 

For what purpose do they stretch it? There rule says must be used as recieved. it is not streched when received. Then all tuners that pass Enez should be OK. All they do is stretch the topsheet. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 17:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

The point that hookshot is trying to make ( and I agree!) is that the only way tuners/booster modify the topsheet (and the topsheet is the ONLY bit the ITTF approves) is by means of stretching... So if this is deemed to be illegal, than Tensor style rubber, which also have topsheets under tension and stretched, are just as illegal... It's clearly stated that neither the manufacturer nor the user can modify the topsheet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 18:13 

Thank you Haggisv, sometimes I have problems using the right words. I am glad you understand my point. I see no way for Adham to not ban ALL tensors. He himself is the one saying tuners are not allowed as they modify the topsheet by streching it. I think another can of worms just got opened. :evil:

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 18:18 
Super Looper
Super Looper

hookshot wrote:
Thank you Haggisv, sometimes I have problems using the right words. I am glad you understand my point. I see no way for Adham to not ban ALL tensors. He himself is the one saying tuners are not allowed as they modify the topsheet by streching it. I think another can of worms just got opened. :evil:

Yes and now that I got used to my tensor and they band that to I have no option then put pip out on my forehand :cry: and Ill be two side pip out player :evil: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 18:43 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

I totally knew what you meant Hookshot as we have discussed this a bit now. I was just trying to look at it from another angle in case it may have provided a reason why Tensors are not banned. I'm still certain I read in the T4 that the rubber must stretch to a certain limit and then spring back to another size (I haven't got the T4 in front of me or I'd try to find the bit I was thinking of).

Anyway, if they decide to ban tensors as well, I think it will lose a lot more players from the sport as well. But that doesn't seem to be of concern to ITTF. I suppose the extreme end to this would be no-one playing the sport due to so many bans, and the ITTF doing themselves out of a job and into extinction!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2008, 01:42 

Hi Reb,
Now your answer makes sense to me.
They stretch it to make sure it returns to original size, (or close). The reason for this is to make sure the pip spacing cannot be changed by stretching and then glueing a sponge on.
He has stated they will be checking for signs of stretching. That is modifying the topsheet.
I think I am right and the ITTF has made another rule without looking at all the possible problems caused by the rule.
Unless someone can show me why not,, ALL TENSORS ARE ILLEGAL.
I think it is time for some class action to stop this runaway insanity.
Is Tenergy,,,
Tensergy,,,
a tensor?
Oh Oh,,,are not alot of world class players using tensors now? Are they going to be glad that tensors are now illegal? :twisted:

Backhand, Sriver FX Max