OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 61  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2009, 13:44 
King of Ping!

speedplay wrote:
I'll sleep 2 hours now, then watch the game and then some more sleep. Not as much as I would like though, my women insists that I should be a part of my son's celebration as he turns six year tomorrow. Gee, he will have lots of birthdays to look forward to, but you never know when Sweden will play in a big final again. For some reasons, our juniors are never as successful as our seniors...

Which leads me back in to table tennis again. Does the world junior ranking looks similar to the senior one, or is there some countries with great juniors but no seniors? Or they other way around, no juniors to speak of but seniors who do well?

Also, by the looks of it, China will dominate our sport for some time, but do you see any new nations ready to step up and challenge them?

Well, Canada again with another Gold. I though our boys played a bit too rough, but the Vikings can take it. In any case, maybe next year for Sweden.

You can check out the World Junior Ranking on our website, you will notice the differences. In my opinion sports is cyclical, the same was said in the 1980s about China, then Sweden came along with a bunch of talented players and beat China in the 1990s, so all is possible. I think that in the future Japan, Korea, England, Russia and Germany will challenge China. Also the enxt generation from France is strong and possibly some odd player from here or there can always come up and challenge. But no one will be able to challenge China unless they train and compete as hard as the Chinese do. Also, in the case of Europe, the coaching methods need to be modernized.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2009, 13:48 
King of Ping!

igorponger wrote:
The recent scientific observations by means of TV-records do indicate that there is a distressing lack of athleticism in modern table tennis as yet.
For 100 random points observed in a match, a regular attacking table tennis player would have covered some 250-300 meters in total inside of an imaginary ellipse, close to the table;
versus 1200 meters and 1600 meters respectively as the squash and lawn-tennis players would have covered round-about the court.
Futhermore, when an average rally in a table tennis match only lasts 3.8 strokes, it is impossible for a player to display his physical efficiecy to the full.

As a result, most of public do prefer other racket sports with a greater amount of athleticism (lawn-tennis, squash, badminton), to watch both "in live" and on TV.

Mr. President,
Do you have any ideas of how could we get the "obdurate" offencive players (and the Chineses especially) to perform more spectacular rallies, with more dashes and plunges for the ball ??

According to our research and TV audits, the TV audience overall in the world is:
1. Tennis
2. Table Tennis
3. Badminton
4. Squash

At the 2004 and 2008 Olympic Games, Table tennis was the highest ranked racket sport ahead of Tennis and Badminton

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2009, 15:32 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
speedplay wrote:
I'll sleep 2 hours now, then watch the game and then some more sleep. Not as much as I would like though, my women insists that I should be a part of my son's celebration as he turns six year tomorrow. Gee, he will have lots of birthdays to look forward to, but you never know when Sweden will play in a big final again. For some reasons, our juniors are never as successful as our seniors...

Now who was it that said sleep was over-rated?

Happy Birthday to your son, hope he learns to cope with his Dad's skewed priorities. I think you better give him a really great present, but I think he'd prefer just time with you! :wink:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2009, 15:54 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
LOL ROFLMAO. TT actually garnered a higher rating than other sports? The American Armed Forces Network (they have the best of every channel broadcast into several channels) played only a few TT matches, mainly womens matches. The guys in our camp were watching it with the same interest as pig wrestling in mud. They were clearly more motivated watching the water sports, even caneoing.

It isn't the ITTF fault that TT isn't popular in America nor a favored viewer sport. Next to no one young plays it seriously. (maybe a thousand registered out of nearly 100 million qualifies as next to none in anyone's books) There are practically zero programs, facilities, coaches who know even USATT 1000 level, equipment, funding, commitment from the school district administrations, nor any will whatsoever to make a program. That instantly makes it an underground sport.

It would take schools, govt, and maybe some heavy support from companies to make it into big time at schools, then as a competitive sport. Soccer used a similar path to better acceptance and support and it shows improvement every year as a legit sport in USA.

I don't feel that there is a whole lot the ITTF can practically do to change this in the near term, except to continue to remain supportive and engaging. Rallies are not why TT is relatively unpopular. There are great rallies and great matches at the pro levels all the time. Rule changes certainly won't change this, but they were approved for other reasons and life goes on. You won't see me blaming the ITTF for ruining TT in USA. We brought our own situation upon ourselves on our own accord.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2009, 21:01 
Anti Spin Hero
Anti Spin Hero

Der_Echte wrote:

It isn't the ITTF fault that TT isn't popular in America nor a favored viewer sport. Next to no one young plays it seriously. (maybe a thousand registered out

IMO it isn't the job of the ITTF to dumb down the sport to make it appeal to one individual nations taste. Tabletennis is popular in many countries, China, Sweden, Germany etc etc bacause of a difference in culture education and how sport is funded at school and international level. It is up to the US federation to do things in their country, not to change the rules of the sport to make it attractive, but to educate the people. Can you imagine if chess adopted the same approach? 'Hey guys, to make attractive to the US, forget the board and the pieces, we need teams of guys in armour, fighting for real, with cheerleaders, and and...' The (slow) rise of the popularity of soccer is a good case, but also some sports just aren't designed for mass TV, badminton, squash, these don't need rule changes to make them popular. And if you want to make things popular to more people, the recent pips rule has meant a lot of disabled guys are now not playing in our provincial leagues, many vets have packed it in too

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2009, 23:11 
Mind Gamer Extraordinaire

adham wrote:
igorponger wrote:

[...]

According to our research and TV audits, the TV audience overall in the world is:
1. Tennis
2. Table Tennis
3. Badminton
4. Squash

At the 2004 and 2008 Olympic Games, Table tennis was the highest ranked racket sport ahead of Tennis and Badminton

Highest ranked as in most watched? Aren't those numbers a bit unreliable, seeing that Chinese national TV will have extensively covered the TT games, but that does not mean that TT is watched more than tennis outside of China...

(as always, IMO, I don't have the factual records)

~~Jasper

Tibhar IV-S - Donic Defplay SensoV3 - BTY Tackiness D/C - BTY Feint Soft - Meteor 813

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009, 01:01 
King of Ping!

adham wrote:
igorponger wrote:
The recent scientific observations by means of TV-records do indicate that there is a distressing lack of athleticism in modern table tennis as yet.
For 100 random points observed in a match, a regular attacking table tennis player would have covered some 250-300 meters in total inside of an imaginary ellipse, close to the table;
versus 1200 meters and 1600 meters respectively as the squash and lawn-tennis players would have covered round-about the court.
Futhermore, when an average rally in a table tennis match only lasts 3.8 strokes, it is impossible for a player to display his physical efficiecy to the full.

As a result, most of public do prefer other racket sports with a greater amount of athleticism (lawn-tennis, squash, badminton), to watch both "in live" and on TV.

Mr. President,
Do you have any ideas of how could we get the "obdurate" offencive players (and the Chineses especially) to perform more spectacular rallies, with more dashes and plunges for the ball ??

1. Tennis
2. Table Tennis
3. Badminton
4. Squash

These are world-wide statistics. Of course in some markets TT is non-existent on TV and in others it is very high. The reason TT does well on the Olympic Ratings is because of China, Korea and Japan with huge audiences. But as a matter of interest, TT ranked 11th out of 28 sports in the UK TV market for the 2008 Olympic Games TV ratings. A study was done by the Association of Summer Olympic Sports (ASOIF) in China (2008 hosts) and the UK (2012 hosts) for the Beijing GAmes TV audiences. TT ranked 4th in China overall and 11th in the UK. Not bad when competing with 28 sports. Also the fact that Chinese were in all finals (China vs China) reduced the viewership of the Chinese during the Finals. By the way, in 2004 (Athens) TT ranked 5th world-wide (out of 28 sports), and in 1992 in Barcelona TT ranked 24th (out of 26 sports then).

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009, 01:18 
King of Ping!

Jasper wrote:
adham wrote:
igorponger wrote:

[...]

1. Tennis
2. Table Tennis
3. Badminton
4. Squash

Highest ranked as in most watched? Aren't those numbers a bit unreliable, seeing that Chinese national TV will have extensively covered the TT games, but that does not mean that TT is watched more than tennis outside of China...

(as always, IMO, I don't have the factual records)

~~Jasper

This is according to the IOC's own figures done in 26 markets (Europe is considered one market, and the UK one market). They use several criteria such as prime-time audience, highest ranked event, highest ranked match, how many people watched a sport for at least 15 consecutive minutes, etc. It is a very detailed analysis done by a specialized company on behalf of the IOC. Actually Tennis at the Olympic Games is not a major sport. The reason is that the Olympic Tournament for Tennis is considered lower than many of the ATP events (Wimbledon, US Open, French Open, etc.), this attests to the strength of Tennis overall, but at the Olympics, same as Football (Soccer) they are not strong as far as TV audiences are concerned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009, 01:31 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
Der_Echte wrote:

It isn't the ITTF fault that TT isn't popular in America nor a favored viewer sport. Next to no one young plays it seriously. (maybe a thousand registered out of nearly 100 million qualifies as next to none in anyone's books) There are practically zero programs, facilities, coaches who know even USATT 1000 level, equipment, funding, commitment from the school district administrations, nor any will whatsoever to make a program. That instantly makes it an underground sport.

It would take schools, govt, and maybe some heavy support from companies to make it into big time at schools, then as a competitive sport. Soccer used a similar path to better acceptance and support and it shows improvement every year as a legit sport in USA.

Der-E, until table tennis becomes a college (university) scholarship type sport in the US, no parent or kids are willing to spend too much time training in this sport when they can spend time and training in other sports like tennis, soccer, football, basket ball, volley ball, swimming, etc to get a much better chance into college.

There are only a few table tennis programs in US college and they are not in the best college either. When I have to make a decision to get my boy into sport, tennis is the sport we chose for him just because almost all major colleges have major tennis programs. The chance is extremely good of being recruited into US top universities even if you are in the top 200 in the US junior ranking and has much better chance than playing great table tennis.

I have made the best decision for my son to steer him into learning and playing tennis since he was 8, he graduated from Yale University a year ago, playing number 1 in their tennis program and being awarded Ivy League player of the year in his Junior and Senior years. He is now working in New York.

Unfortunately, playing table tennis in the US won't get him into any top Universities here, we don't have the system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009, 02:33 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Wow, Yale, that's pretty cool. Talk about a scholarship that paid off!!!

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009, 18:30 
Mind Gamer Extraordinaire

adham wrote:
(Europe is considered one market, and the UK one market)

Other than that, looks like the study has been well thought through, and the increase in popularity from Barcelona to Athens is significant!

Thanks for the clarification.

~~Jasper

Tibhar IV-S - Donic Defplay SensoV3 - BTY Tackiness D/C - BTY Feint Soft - Meteor 813

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2009, 22:30 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

Yale. Yep, I tried to go there. Sent them my transripts too. But I didn't understand why they sent them back to me with a sticky note attached with "LMAO" written on it. What does that mean?

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 00:57 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
speedplay wrote:
Is there such a thing as a "Hall of fame" for TT-players?

If yes, any links so I can watch it?

There is a web page, but it is an amateur hour production. Our sport's heritage deserves more.

http://www.ittf.com/museum/Hof/HoF.html

USATT's page is better, but still dreadful compared to those of other major sports.

http://www.usatt.org/organization/halloffame/index.html

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 02:41 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
mynamenotbob wrote:
speedplay wrote:
Is there such a thing as a "Hall of fame" for TT-players?

If yes, any links so I can watch it?

There is a web page, but it is an amateur hour production. Our sport's heritage deserves more.

http://www.ittf.com/museum/Hof/HoF.html

USATT's page is better, but still dreadful compared to those of other major sports.

http://www.usatt.org/organization/halloffame/index.html

Both the basketball and tennis have their hall of fame buildings and installed their hall of famers every year. It is a shame that table tennis is so much lagging behind. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 02:56 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Well when the number 1 TT player in Australia has to take a job to live, and therefore de-focus his TT somewhat, it is pretty obvious TT does not provide the paychecks other sports do.

I agree with Tat. Scholarships are not as common in Australia, but university education is expensive everywhere I think (certainly here). So getting it to be a scholarship sport is likely to be the only way to move it up the sport rankings. Now when many of the good pros can't make a full-time living from it, why would they make it a scholarship sport? The players have no interest to turn pro as there's no living to be made from it. The universities won't have any prestige about their "boys" turning pro, so why would they offer it?

The key to it all has to surely be boosting the paychecks at pro-level and increasing the number turning pro, so it becomes a sort after and economically viable thing for players to aim for.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 61  Next