OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:27

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2012, 22:05 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
rodderz wrote:
Lorre wrote:
mynamenotbob wrote:
Everything in the Olympics is in a country vs. country context. So what's wrong with just putting the best player from every country in? The #2 guy is a redundancy. There is a team event that can include the #2 and #3 players.

Well, I've been thinking about that too. Only, it would make 86 NOCs participate in the event, among them probably NOCs with even worse players than those of NZ or Fuji. In other words: the level of playing would be even worse with 1PER.

ahem Li Chung Li was a Commonwealth Gold medalist and 3rd at a World Cup, anyways the ITTF wanted less players per Country and no one else

I apologize if I hurt you with that expression, rodderz, but they're not sending Li Chung Li anyways due to some internal stringent rules (because she cannot make it to the top 16, I believe).

Although it is a NZ matter, it only makes it clear that trying to make the sport more universal in a artificial matter will always have some bad side-effects which I don't want to subscribe to. One of those side-effects e.g. is that Ma Long cannot participate in the Olympics singles, although he's able to win the whole tournament, because 2PER is created to make the sport more universal, although none of those universal players have a chance to win the title. I for one don't want to prevent him having a full shot at the Olympic title now he's able to, thinking about the amount of work he's put into his career.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2012, 03:20 
Horse Hockey!

In the US I expect that they will show TT only during 3AM re-runs on cable channels few people subscribe to just to fill time since they want to reserve the high revenue channels and times for sports that will grab the most viewers. It's all about ratings. Just imagine if you are a fan of shooting sports...I think the producers think that may offend some viewers for some reason. During Beijing '08 they resorted to putting "powder bags" in the clay targets since Olympic shooters rarely miss and their targets vanish in thin air. The powder bags made it possible to see a "poof" of dust and that was the first time I ever saw the skeet or trap events on TV.

I expect with Michael Phelps competing again this year that we in the USA will be over-saturated with every splash he makes. And of course who doesn't love watching 100 hours of live coverage of teenage girls flipping around on mats and swinging on parallel bars? :P

As for cycling...I love cycling but after the Giro Italia and Tour de France, Olympic cycling is somewhat anti-climatic and poorly covered.

Now Keme, be honest, you can't wait until the WINTER Olympics when your countrymen usually dominate the real winter sports! (Excluding the never-ending coverage of figure skating.)

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2012, 04:16 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
I was ranked in the tops in the U.S. at skeet shooting and coached some of the best. I have never heard of "Dust bags". One of the terms you will hear when someone is about to shoot is "Dust it". You get a cloud of dust when it is hit solid. The diamentions of the "clays", (targets) is very exact just like for a table tennis ball. I suspect you have heard a rumor friend. :)

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2012, 08:07 
Horse Hockey!

hookshot wrote:
I was ranked in the tops in the U.S. at skeet shooting and coached some of the best. I have never heard of "Dust bags". One of the terms you will hear when someone is about to shoot is "Dust it". You get a cloud of dust when it is hit solid. The diamentions of the "clays", (targets) is very exact just like for a table tennis ball. I suspect you have heard a rumor friend. :)

It's no rumor. That was something they did for the Olympics and I remember watching the videos and the announcers made quite a big issue out of it. I agree that it isn't normal for clay shooting. I know what "dusting" a target means (a lost target that is grazed but not broken) and this is something completely different. Maybe just for TV and spectators they added a tiny pouch of powder to the underside of each target to make them more visible when hit.

Look at these:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAhngnWXHDE&t=1m20s[/youtube]
Attachment:
target1.jpg
target1.jpg [ 22.23 KiB | Viewed 1260 times ]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GqnrbDGXk0&t=59s[/youtube]
Attachment:
target2.jpg
target2.jpg [ 38.33 KiB | Viewed 1260 times ]

Ever see clays do that? :P

It's obvious the targets were modified to make a "poof" when hit.

OK guys, sorry for the hijack...back to complaining about the ITTF now...

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2012, 08:54 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Quote:
I apologize if I hurt you with that expression, rodderz, but they're not sending Li Chung Li anyways due to some internal stringent rules (because she cannot make it to the top 16, I believe).

Although it is a NZ matter, it only makes it clear that trying to make the sport more universal in a artificial matter will always have some bad side-effects which I don't want to subscribe to. One of those side-effects e.g. is that Ma Long cannot participate in the Olympics singles, although he's able to win the whole tournament, because 2PER is created to make the sport more universal, although none of those universal players have a chance to win the title. I for one don't want to prevent him having a full shot at the Olympic title now he's able to, thinking about the amount of work he's put into his career.

No hurt there, she was from a era of importation of mainly Chinese women players who stayed at the top of their new Country for 10+ years , and are or were a better challenge for the Chinese/ Koreans japanese etc but at the same time moade it harder for the Locals :whew: , again I would rather see up to 3 players per Country , and Doubles Titles as well , just more exposure rather than oh lets stop the Chinese from winning

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2012, 09:23 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

cyber1call wrote:
Now Keme, be honest, you can't wait until the WINTER Olympics when your countrymen usually dominate the real winter sports! (Excluding the never-ending coverage of figure skating.)

Honestly, I get to see more than I like of the high profile sports, be it summer (when soccer gets 75% or so of the sports airtime) or winter (skiing, downhill as well as the "nordic" disciplines, gets about as much, if not more than 75%). I can't deny that I too enjoy watching the race against the clock, particularly if our contestants are on the winning side, but there is a saturation point.

What I really enjoy watching among the winter olympics sports is a good curling match. Again our national team's success (which was rather surprising) is most likely a contributing factor to that preference of mine.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2012, 08:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dear Mr. President

You must know DHS manufacturer has recently presented a pilot sample of poly ball. And player's responces on this sample are mostly negative. The ball is reported to play far differently from the convenient balls of celluloid: ---It proved to produce a cracking sound, bouncing too upwards and has got broken quite shortly.
Honestly speaking, DHS did failed to meet all people's expectation of the new plastic ball playing same way as the celluloid.

So, my query is why DHS alone is engaged in developing of the poly balls?? To my knowledge, some of German manufacturers such as JOOLA and DONIC do have far a better scientific competence of polymer materials.
Why not to call up those highly proficient manufacturers to assist DHS at the researching work?? Joining efforts together is the true road to success, I believe.

Thanks
Igor NOVICK
Russia

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2012, 03:33 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Speaking of the new ball: I'm wondering how far the definite ball will be from the current pilot ball, Mr. Sharara: in quality and in playing properties?

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2012, 04:49 

I "personally" think he is only concerned about getting the "bigger" ball in. I "personally" think the material change was just smoke to distract from the real change, "the Bigger ball". :n:

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2012, 19:23 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
According to Newgy's Larry Thoman, the Federation of International Table Tennis Manufacturers has requested that the ITTF push back the implementation date of the poly ball yet another year to July 2015.

Doesn't sound like a ringing vote of confidence from the manufacturers.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2012, 00:27 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
They will want time to see what they can get from it I suppose... Imagine the mess if a new poly ball broke every set you played... or worse every few points. Manufacturers would suffer poorly in their branding in reguards to quality.

Also maybe they are not in favour of it fully yet for reasons like all the enthusiast players like here on the forum making noises about their concerns and dislikes of the new poly ball.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2012, 12:44 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
To me it seems reasonable to ask manufacturers to come up with some good alternatives for new balls first, and only after testing, and when the ball is deemed to be acceptable, then the vote is done whether to change over and when to change over.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2012, 13:35 

Have them make some "THE SAME SIZE" as we use now and see if the problems go away. There is NO GOOD REASON for the larger ball. Especially if that is the reason for the problems with the new ball. :lol:

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2012, 14:07 
Super User
Super User

hookshot wrote:
Have them make some "THE SAME SIZE" as we use now and see if the problems go away. There is NO GOOD REASON for the larger ball. Especially if that is the reason for the problems with the new ball. :lol:
this. ever since i found out about this issue, i thought "why a bigger ball?" it is just nonsense

FH: Curl P-1R

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2012, 15:48 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes I agree. If they really wanted a bigger ball, I would have expected some thorough consultation among a wide variety of officials and players, to ensure we fully understand the impact of this. If you feel the impact is not significant, then why bother at all?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 26  Next