OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2010, 12:17 
I am Legend
I am Legend

haha, I had to use google to convert.

Do a google search for "0.3 inches in mm" or similar.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2010, 15:57 
Liquid Evil Chopper

Hi Charlie,

From your catalogue, which blade is for:

(1) modern defender (using sponge LP)
(2) LP blocker (using OX LP)

I'd like a blade that is a cross between the BTY Petr Korbel and Joo Se Hyuk for the modern defensive playstyle - reckon that's possible?

Thanks for your time. :)

Chop til you drop baby!

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 04:43 

haggisv wrote:
Sounds like you have quality control well in hand ;)

I agree with your point about shoes, and ideally buying several of the blades you like works the same way. Trouble with blades is you really need to test them out well before you'll know if it suits you, and by that time the manufacturer may be onto another batch of materials, and can't duplicate your original blade.

I would guess the best way you can make 'identical' blades would be to make them at the same time using the same materials, correct?

For myself and a few others I save the wood that their special blades are made from. I don't think that method is workable for many. I keep records of color and weight, which allows me to come closer than buying off the rack. We intend and are in the middle of coming up with "testing" methods to assign characteristics to blades, to then be more able to duplicate.
Sounds like you may have experience the dreaded "find the like blade (or rubber) syndrome"?

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 17:19 

Beer Belly,

I haven't tried the Petr Korbel or Joo Se Hyuk but judging from BTY's Technology 2010 catalog I can get a pretty good idea of their properties based on other BTY blades I have used.

I have a 165mm X 153mm head that I usually use for C-pens that I can easily put a straight handle on (or others). For your hybrid Joo Korbel chopper blade I recommend a two-speed CarboFlex Custom (not currently on my website, though I have made a few over the years). This version of my CarboFlex uses Mahogany skins and has different thicknesses of Balsa core on each side to make the LP side slower/more controlled, and faster for the inverted side. The price for this would be the same as the CarboFlex Alpha on my website's online store.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 17:35 

rodderz,

The problem with 2-speed blades is warping. The more difference between the sides, the greater the chance that the blade will one day warp as it goes through thermal and humidity-induced contraction and expansion. I could make a blade with lots of difference between the sides but it could warp in just a few months. So the trick is dialing in just enough difference between the sides without crossing the warping threshold. That's a round about way of telling you that my 2-speed blades are typically one or two levels apart from each other, e.g. ALL-/ALL+, ALL+/OFF-. But the quest continues for greater disparity that's warpage free!

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 20:14 

hello Charlie,

which of your blade is good for anti? The same ones as those for LP?

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 04:02 

yori wrote:
hello Charlie,

hi yori, in 1972 I was one of the first to use anti exclusively for hitting{never chopped) with a one-ply cypress. It worked very well for a couple of years until they got used to the different timing of the ball arrival. I have not tried anti on my 9-10-9 as yet but will do so soon. For defensive anti I would use a two-speed Carbo-flex in one of the larger shapes(slows blades down). What rubber on the other side would you use?

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 04:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
We've had reports of people outside the USA being unable to use http://www.bladesbycharlie.com 's Google Checkout shopping cart to make payments. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Charlie's new Paypal account will be active in the next day or so which will hopefully work in areas not served by Google's Merchant services.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 11:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Now that the dust from BBC's new website has settled somewhat, Charlie has asked me to develop and manage a Designated Tester program and he has put ten BBC blades at my disposal for this purpose. Those interested in being a tester should either reply here or PM me via OOAK. BBC is interested in involving a diverse range of playing styles, geographical locations, and player ratings. Charlie will personally select the most appropriate BBC blade model for your use based on the following requested information:

o Name of your current favorite blade and why you like it; and optionally, blades you have tried and didn't like and why.

o Type of rubber you use

o Your playing style and current rating

o How many years you have been playing table tennis and how many hours per week you currently play

o Any other information you wish to provide

Terms: These will be stock blade configurations based on the eight models currently featured on the BBC web site. Designated testers agree to test the supplied blade and then post a formal review on OOAK within 21-days of receiving the blade. BBC will pay the postage to send you the blade; you agree to pay the return postage. For international destinations where customs and/or import duties may apply, these shipments will be designated as Samples but you agree to pay any local duties, if applicable. Anyone wishing to keep their blade following the test may purchase it at a 50% discount; otherwise it must be returned to BBC where it will re-join the testing pool for use by subsequent testers.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 18:29 
Liquid Evil Chopper

I'd be interested to try.

o Name of your current favorite blade and why you like it; and optionally, blades you have tried and didn't like and why.

BTY Joo Se Hyuk
- rather stiff blade though feel is about medium (I prefer less flex for better predictability). Great stability on defensive shots. My current weapon.

BTY Petr Korbel
- medium flex, medium feel, medium everything! I appreciate its versatility though I wish it has a stiffer neck.

o Type of rubber you use

- Tenergy64 2.1mm and Feint Long II 1.1mm (I alternate FLII with TSP P1-R)

o Your playing style and current rating

- Modern Defensive
- Australian grade B (win rate in previous league for singles matches: 70%; won the doubles).

o How many years you have been playing table tennis and how many hours per week you currently play

- Slightly over a year as a modern defender. Started playing TT as a school kid but with a 15 year hiatus. Once a week for now but after March 20th it'll be 3 to 4 times per week!! ;)

o Any other information you wish to provide

- I prefer as mentioned above a somewhat stiffer blade (slight flex is okay but within limits) but with a medium-soft to medium feel for the sponge LP game. I'd like a slightly oversize blade (Defence II has a nice shape) but not as big as the Joo. Weight around 90g will be ideal. FL handle is preferred.

Chop til you drop baby!

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2010, 17:33 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Might be a good idea to copy your proposal to the Blades section nathanso, as many more people read that section.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 02:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:
Might be a good idea to copy your proposal to the Blades section nathanso, as many more people read that section.
OK, will do.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 23:11 

BladesByCharlie wrote:
yori wrote:
hello Charlie,

hi yori, in 1972 I was one of the first to use anti exclusively for hitting{never chopped) with a one-ply cypress. It worked very well for a couple of years until they got used to the different timing of the ball arrival. I have not tried anti on my 9-10-9 as yet but will do so soon. For defensive anti I would use a two-speed Carbo-flex in one of the larger shapes(slows blades down). What rubber on the other side would you use?

hello Charlie,
i am using a 1Ply wood from Dawei from cole ely which is bout 10mm. I use inverted rubber Palio rubber on my forehand and anti on my backhand. i tried to play actively with my backhand to force errors for my forehand.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 10:21 

yori wrote:
BladesByCharlie wrote:
yori wrote:
hello Charlie,

hello Charlie,
i am using a 1Ply wood from Dawei from cole ely which is bout 10mm. I use inverted rubber Palio rubber on my forehand and anti on my backhand. i tried to play actively with my backhand to force errors for my forehand.

hi yori, i should have mentioned that bty's Super Anti was the only one that worked very,very well. i tried many but...

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2010, 13:40 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

Beer Belly wrote:
Hi Charlie,

From your catalogue, which blade is for:

(1) modern defender (using sponge LP)
(2) LP blocker (using OX LP)

I'd like a blade that is a cross between the BTY Petr Korbel and Joo Se Hyuk for the modern defensive playstyle - reckon that's possible?

Thanks for your time. :)

I have my eyes on Fiddler.
Edit: Just read first page and found out that Haggisv liked Fiddler as well. Great minds think alike!!!! 8)

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next