OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:11

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010, 00:08 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
bvautier wrote:
Nexy,

Thanks for the information. This is very good.
You are absolutely correct about differentiating between a "chopper" and a "blocker" as they are two completely different styles.
You will find that there are a lot of long pimple players on this forum, that is why we are very interested in your ideas. ( I believe most of us are "blockers" but there are quite a few "choppers" as well.)
I am at the table blocker, and so far the best long pimple to block with is the DTecs in OX. The DTecs is also very confusing in OX for the opponent. However I would be willing to do away with the "disturbing" effects if it could block really spinny loops better. How does your rubber "Chaos" deal with these?

The ban on "frictionless" Long Pimples (LPs) has really made it difficult to block effectively at the table. I seems like you have been working on a solution for this. Please let us know more. Cheers!

DTecs OX is the choice of a LOT of OX LP players here in Korea.

I sometimes break out my scout bat and loop with the .6 sponge 969 LP and it amazes some players that you can loop (albeit not so spinny, but still land 3-4 loops) and no crap, since most players who use LP use it in OX and looping with OX is a might difficult proposition.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2010, 01:10 
Super User

Just to make the concept of IKARUS clearer, I add some more personal comment here.

Ikarus is aiming to satisfy who use long pimple out rubbers on his back hand side, and use pimple in rubbers on his forehand side, I mean push blocker as BH-man taught me today, but I thought I would add some variation to the general push blocker's style.

So, I made the blade size not very big, but I made it very fast, so overall character is quick and fast.
So, when you use this blade, you need to try more looping with your forehand, and also with your back hand, you need to try more push and smash, not only blocking.

Therefore, if you expect the general kind of blades for push blockers, then I would recommend Musiro or Milarge, and those are also very good, but if you want to become more attcking, then you can choose Ikarus.

And Chaos is also the same way.
It is good for attcking.
You feel very comfortable.
The non elastic sponge make you very comfortable to switch into abrupt accacking to surprise your opponent.

I think those two NEXYs will make good combination together.

More comment will come later.

I thought I would write some more story about IKARUS, but I was too busy, and it's already quite late at night.
So, I would write it later.
And I would prolong my story to Chaos rubber here while I explain about Ikarus.

Actually, both products were done in the same idea.
I've had a lot of talks with many good push blockers in Korean market, and I think that result will help some other people outside of Korea.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2010, 03:08 

Of all people, I ended up walking out of Nexy HQ with the Akarus with Chaos 1.0 (I am hot garbage with OX, even if Nexy designed this blade to go with OX LP) (I will still play close to the table flick/chop block, then sudden/decisive FH attacking for testing) and inverted Demaian, both Nexy rubbers. I will also have some club members who are good at this style try this out, as well as our sole men's LP chopper/attacker.

The style that nexy describes is a real aggressive close to the table block/flick/hit with LP, then suddenly crush anything that comes FH way with inverted fast attack. I never saw this style in USA. I hate it when I play against a player good at that style as they rob my setup time with the punching and putaway any bottomspin to their FH. A bottomspin to their BH is punched or flicked and comes back as an oddly timed topspin ball with an even wierder bounce. I have to see that shot coming before they hit it and have in my mind ready the timing to counter that shout. Not too hard to accomplsh if you anticipater well enough, but these close to the table LP blocker/attackers are very good at this style of play and can be a pain in the Arse if you cannot cope with that first shot coming your way. A lot of women at my club take lessons on how to make this style dangerous and high percentage in attack.

I should try out the Ikarus and then ship it out to some others who favor LP attacking, like say Tatlwai & Nathanso among others. Maybe everyone can pass it along, if that is OK with Nexy.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2010, 07:43 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Nexy: If you would be willing to make a sheet of Chaos available to 1 or 2 of our members (even if it's a used sheet), we could give your an honest review in return. We have a lot of experienced long pip players here. Just an idea, it's totally up to you of course!

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2010, 08:39 
Super User

Der_Echte wrote:
Of all people, I ended up walking out of Nexy HQ with the Akarus with Chaos 1.0 (I am hot garbage with OX, even if Nexy designed this blade to go with OX LP) (I will still play close to the table flick/chop block, then sudden/decisive FH attacking for testing) and inverted Demaian, both Nexy rubbers. I will also have some club members who are good at this style try this out, as well as our sole men's LP chopper/attacker.

The style that nexy describes is a real aggressive close to the table block/flick/hit with LP, then suddenly crush anything that comes FH way with inverted fast attack. I never saw this style in USA. I hate it when I play against a player good at that style as they rob my setup time with the punching and putaway any bottomspin to their FH. A bottomspin to their BH is punched or flicked and comes back as an oddly timed topspin ball with an even wierder bounce. I have to see that shot coming before they hit it and have in my mind ready the timing to counter that shout. Not too hard to accomplsh if you anticipater well enough, but these close to the table LP blocker/attackers are very good at this style of play and can be a pain in the Arse if you cannot cope with that first shot coming your way. A lot of women at my club take lessons on how to make this style dangerous and high percentage in attack.

I should try out the Ikarus and then ship it out to some others who favor LP attacking, like say Tatlwai & Nathanso among others. Maybe everyone can pass it along, if that is OK with Nexy.

This is exactly my game plan, will be interested to get your review of the Ikarus, Chaos combination. (soooo tempted to buy this combination...)

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2010, 09:54 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

Hey Guys,

Do you think this would be suitable for a long pip ATTACKER such as myself or Tat? I'm increasingly agressive with my LP, I counterpunch just about as much as humanly possible, at the moment I've got them on a timo boll spark, which seems to be ok, but it seems a bit slow.

It's difficult finding one suited to my weird style.

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2010, 16:37 

I put Neptune 1.0 on the wavestone OFF + blade for a spell and attacking was possible, both hits and weak loops.

I expect this blade and Chaos in 1.0 to have some attacking potential.

My problem in testing won't be the attacking, but rather the punch blocking/flicking with LP against bottomspin. I haven't practiced this stroke enough to be anywhere near comfortable with it. I will have to dig up Bogeyhunter's old CD of when CWX visited and watch that forward moving side swipe punch shot against bottomspin. If I fail at punchblocking with the LPs, then there are a pile of women in my club who practice this everyday back and forth using OX LP and I can let them have a go at it, although they won't really try hitting with the LP.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2010, 22:18 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
Nexy: If you would be willing to make a sheet of Chaos available to 1 or 2 of our members (even if it's a used sheet), we could give your an honest review in return. We have a lot of experienced long pip players here. Just an idea, it's totally up to you of course!

Thank you for the suggestion.
I will think how I would start it.

By the way, I have another promotion plan for this forum members for a certain period.
For an example, if the member buy one Ikarus blade, then he or she can get one Chaos for free.

I will come back with the final plan soon.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2010, 22:24 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Der_Echte wrote:

That sounds interesting Herr Echte. Can you or Nexy post some videos of this style in action?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2010, 00:25 
Super User

I couldn't resist and purchased an Ikarus and 2 chaos sheets (1.0mm sponge black and red) earlier today. As soon as I get them I will give them a try and report back. I am hoping the FH is faster than the Kris FH and the BH slower.

@Nexy,

Is the blade composition: koto - balsa - carbon - balsa - balsa - koto ?

Is there a difference between the balsa layers?

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2010, 07:00 
Super User

bvautier wrote:
I couldn't resist and purchased an Ikarus and 2 chaos sheets (1.0mm sponge black and red) earlier today. As soon as I get them I will give them a try and report back. I am hoping the FH is faster than the Kris FH and the BH slower.

@Nexy,

Is the blade composition: koto - balsa - carbon - balsa - balsa - koto ?

Is there a difference between the balsa layers?

Regarding construction, you were right.
And three balsa plies are the same material.
Generally I use little bit tight and fast balsa for Ikarus.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2010, 09:16 

I assembled the Ikarus bat last night at the club and everyone in the club was like.. what? Another bat? I am always gluing on a new sheet of Outlaw every weeks and always have mishaps with rubbers. I ripped a Tenergy sheet on a corner during an inter-club comp at our club for example. There is only ONE club member using LP with a sponge - a modern defender who likes chopping from 2 meters back and countering when it looks good. The rest of the LP players use OX and like to be close to the table. They punch or flick, sometimes drop it short with the OX LP and wait for ANY ball to come to the FH to try a FH winner right away.

The club members were like What? LP? You? (Even though I break out my LP bat every now and then and hit for fun)

I had a 5 minute warmup and one match vs a 4. div / 5. div player. It wasn't always pretty as i do not have the bat angle down for close to the table punch blocking, but I gave him enough funky balls from the LP to disrupt his rythm and he mis-hit a lot. I also had chances to hit and loop on FH. I hit a lot of net and out on smashes, but I also hit a lot of winners on FH on loose balls or from loops on long pushes (Koreans call a push a "Cut") I give a few first impressions and will update them as I get more observations.

1) This bat is LIGHT. Feather Light. This makes it easy to change direction of bat and to twiddle. I have adjusting to do as this bat is easily 40 grams lighter than my normal bat. This Ikarus blade was 79 grams with a ST handle.

2) FH attacking is sudden. This is also an illusion when someone defends, defends, then attacks. Still, you can turn on the switch when attacking

3) This blade can easily absorb the pace of the ball and slow it down in a hurry if you want, especially on LP. I never could do that with my TBS setup

4) LP hitting is FUN. This setup hitting with LP is just as fast, if not faster than Neptune 1.0 on a Wavestone.

5) Feel. I have to become accustomed to a balsa blade. It just feels way different and is hard to describe. i will need some adjusting

I did not do any chopping or looping with the LP. i'll try that out next time as part of my fun chopping a few then suddenly twiddling and countering for a winner.

I'll make a thread to track what I see out of this outfit. I'll try to get what I can out of this setup and ask for candidates to try it out next, if that is OK with Nexy. I'll alsotry to remember to bring camera and tripod to take a vid or two of some of the women who play this style at our club.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2010, 14:15 
Super User

haggisv wrote:

I now posted the promotion article you suggested.

http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12790&p=139109#p139109

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2010, 16:39 
Super User

Hi Nexy,

Could you please tell us a bit more about your Short Pimple rubber in another thread please. From your website it looks like it has some disturbing effect. How fast is it? and what were your thoughts when you designed it.

Also it would be nice if you could provide the speed rating, thickness and number of plies for your various blades.

Looking forward to trying out the Ikarus and chaos when I receive them... should either be tomorrow or Monday.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2010, 21:47 
Super User

bvautier wrote:
Hi Nexy,

Could you please tell us a bit more about your Short Pimple rubber in another thread please. From your website it looks like it has some disturbing effect. How fast is it? and what were your thoughts when you designed it.

Also it would be nice if you could provide the speed rating, thickness and number of plies for your various blades.

Looking forward to trying out the Ikarus and chaos when I receive them... should either be tomorrow or Monday.

Thank you for your inquiry.
I will write some more about my rubber Chaos here in this thread.

By the way, I don't show speed rating, because I don't trust that number thing.
And I want to make my brand different from others.
I think Nexy should be attractive, not only due to it's function, but also some other attractive character.
So, I want to make people not much interested in only function.
That was another reason for me.

By the way, regarding my blades, most of them are OFF rate.
Regarding IKARUS, for forehand side, OFF, for back hand side OFF - or ALL+
Will it be enough for you?