OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:08

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2011, 11:27 

Distributor of GEWO and Cornilleau in Australia
Contact Name: Kouros Zirak
Mob: +61 430 382 280

Last edited by kourosz on 07 Jan 2011, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Arietta Sports
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2011, 22:54 
Mars Attacks!

Hi Kouros,
welcome, I look forward to hearing you share your knowledge of Gewo & Cornilleau products, as you know I have worked my way through quite a few of the Gewo rubbers and loved most of them. Personally I keep coming back to the Stratos as I find it a fast but forgiving attacking rubber.

cheers
Mars

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2011, 23:20 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Yeah, welcome to the forum Kouros. For now I'm sticking with Andro rubbers (primarily Roxon 450). I had a bad experience last summer with the Proton 385 Sound I got from you through Mars as it killed me in a match due to humidity. Was very odd as I simply could not get the ball to spin off the rubber on this night, so side-spin serves just projected straight into the net from it. I've never experienced this with Roxon (or any other rubber), it was weird. Up until then I felt it was ok, but still not as much to my liking as R450. Anyway, I thought you might be interested in the feedback. I have used the Proton on my Hurricane King (not primary blade) since and found it to be ok again, so it was a temporary heat thing, but it put me off in a big way.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2011, 07:59 
Super User

kourosz wrote:

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Could you please tell us a bit more about GEWO and Cornilleau products. Where are they made? What makes them different? etc....

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2011, 10:37 

Hi RebornTTEvnglist,
And thanks for your feedback. I can't say anything about your bad experience because of lots of parameters. I had only one experience about a player who moved from Roxon 450 to Proton 385 and then Stratos sound. He just put the Gewo rubbers on his bat and I could see the difference clearly. His unforced errors decreased a lot at the same time.

Regarding Proton rubbers I can comment the following characteristics:

1. The top sheet is more dynamic.
2. Their control are very good.
3. The best part is their consistency. (This is the reason I started to import these rubbers)
4. They have very good feeling.
5. They are very durable and keep their spin & speed even if getting old. (Of course not like Cornilleau Pilot Advance which I played for 11 months and still works like a brand new rubber!)

I'll try to write more technical aspects of GEWO & Cornilleau products gradually. I just want to state that I love helping other players and usually recommend equipments after watching or hearing about their styles.

I hope you enjoy your Proton.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2011, 14:48 
Mars Attacks!

Hi Reb,
I can not say that I have experienced issues to the degree you are describing either, there are always some problems with any rubber on high humidity days.

In my experience the Proton rubbers, which are the first & oldest generation of Gewo rubbers are significantly harder than the Roxon 450 and therefore you require an active and positive stroke to benefit, otherwise problems. From memory you are a good pick hitter with your FH and therefore the softer roxon 450 may suit you, as it always helped me with my pure hitting style.

have you tried the roxon 500 as it is harder than the 450, I did not like it for my hitting style as much as the 450, horses for courses I suppose.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2011, 16:43 

Hi bvautier

Well I try to write a brief comment about these companies:

Gewo: This is a German company and a leader in making TT tables for many years. In the recent years, they have started to produce all wide range of TT equipments as well. Their products are mostly made in Germany, some blades made in China, Belgium, ...
They believe in producing high quality products. The feedback from the players who are using these products are all positive in Australia. Proton and Stratos rubbers, Velox-Alpha Speedster blade and composite Balsa blades are my best sellers.
Cornilleau:
This French company has started introducing competition products since 2~3 years ago. Gatien (former world champion) is also helping them. Their Pilot Advance rubber is famous and many high ranked French and non-French are using this rubber. The pimples have a unique structure which makes this rubber very consistent and durable.
Their blades are also magnificent. All their HinoTec blades have a weight at fixed 80gr and the new AERO (no Balsa) blade comes in 75gr.
They have also a water based glue which in my opinion is the best in the market. It's strong but can easily be removed from the sponge and blade and never harm sponge or blade.

At the moment, I'm playing with HinoTec Carbon Off+, Pilot Advance Max on my forehand (that worked 11 months for me and no desire to cut a new one), Gewo ReflexX Speed Max on my backhand.

I should also mention that other rubbers only work for at most 3 months on my forehand.

In order to have a better result of this forum, it's better to answer questions instead of writing a long story about these products.
So, please feel free to ask any question.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2011, 18:21 
Super User

Thanks for the information. Very informative. I thought Gewo was chinese or Japanese brand. Have any of these companies made something to challenge the Tenergy rubbers?

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2011, 23:37 

Hi bvautier

I'm happy that the information was useful. Regarding your question, I want to clarify one important fact. Rubbers and blades are equipments which must be selected according to the player's different parameters like physical condition, style, movement, muscles' speed, strength and so on. I believe that all rubbers in the market have their own characteristics and you can't say that one rubber is better than others. When we say better, what does better mean?

Regarding Tenergy, I had tested it, but it was not suitable for me because I prefer fast rubbers and it was not so fast. Plus its high curve made me lots of mistakes in blocking. For some other players who are allround spin-oriented that's a perfect rubber. I have seen many players were struggling with it. So, it's better to think about the rubbers which is more convenient for our game.

If you are asking about some rubbers from Gewo and Cornilleau that are also competitive like Tenergy I say:

Proton 450: Very similar to Roxon 500, but very consistant, better control and more durable (Brian Berry had played one season in the penant with Proton and his feedback was: his results was the same in aomparison with the time he played with Tenergy. Again Denis Makeling also played with Proton one season and he always say that it was very good)
Stratos energy: Perfect for everything. Although I believe it's not perfect for loopers but others don't believe that. It's good for chop, return of serve, block and smash. opponent's spin has less effect on your game when you compare with other rubbers.
ReflexX: Very spinny rubber with high curve (A little lower arc than Tenergy). A bit slower than Proton and Stratos. I use it on my backhand and my backhand improved a lot.
Pilot Advance from Corni.: This is a super rubber. Very consistent and durable. It produces good amount of spin. I played with it last year and no intension to change. It's a little bit different with other rubbers in the market in the case of pimples design. It's designed for players with fast hand movement. It's so fast that everyone could feel the difference when I used it on my forehand for the first time. In rallies it performs again better. It's for loopers and fast forehand drivers. Very good for serve and return of serve, as well. It's enough to say that many European players (including Simon Gauzy who got the bronze medal in Youth Olympic championship) are using this rubber.

Again, I repeat that all rubbers have its own characteristic and it's better to find and match the one which would improve your game.

At the end, you can see that all these features are benfits when you compare with other rubbers like Tenergy, but remeber that Tenergy is made by Butterfly and if they made something like one of the above mentioned rubbers, then you might repeat the same question! Personally, I don't follow the advertisements and to be honest I always recommend the rubbers that have positive effect on the players. The rubbers that make them enjoy and play better.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2011, 00:05 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Mars63 wrote:
Hi Reb,
I can not say that I have experienced issues to the degree you are describing either, there are always some problems with any rubber on high humidity days.

In my experience the Proton rubbers, which are the first & oldest generation of Gewo rubbers are significantly harder than the Roxon 450 and therefore you require an active and positive stroke to benefit, otherwise problems. From memory you are a good pick hitter with your FH and therefore the softer roxon 450 may suit you, as it always helped me with my pure hitting style.

have you tried the roxon 500 as it is harder than the 450, I did not like it for my hitting style as much as the 450, horses for courses I suppose.

Hey Mars, I agree that Proton was harder than R450 and therefore could be a little less forgiving on certain shots. I decided R500 wasn't worth trying given its a fair bit harder and knowing your opinion of it. I tried R330 and have found it ok, but really too slow to what I like. I have a sheet of Hexer Powerspongew I am going to try as it is said to be slightly softer than R450 but nowhere near to the scale that R330 is. I can't say I've found a rubber that suits my Fh better than R450, and you know what they say...."when you're on a good thing...stick to it" ;) :lol:

Kouros I found the Proton quite nice to play with until the "melt-down" I experienced which caused me to lose to a guy 4-0 when he has never beaten me on any other occasion beside that night (I handed him 5 points per set trying to brush spin my serves - normal serves - which just bounced straight off the rubber into the net instead of bouncing with spin on the table and jumping the net as one would expect). I'd say I like R450 better than P385 at its best still though. My current sheet of R450 is nearing 12 months old and still plays close to new. Having said that, I do believe Gewo rubbers are also a lot better than many rubbers out there.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2011, 00:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

kourosz wrote:

I have Gewo sandals, a tournament bag and double paddle case and all are great quality. They were gifts from a friend in the UK. How do you pronounce GEWO?
tOD

Does Gewo make any long pips?

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2011, 00:28 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Is there a GEWO distributor in the US? I don't know of any and I'd like to try some of their products.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2011, 22:22 

GEWO pronounced like ge in GET, and vo in VOTE. Unfortunately they haven't made any pips rubber yet. (And no plan in 2011).

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2011, 01:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

kourosz wrote:
GEWO pronounced like ge in GET, and vo in VOTE. Unfortunately they haven't made any pips rubber yet. (And no plan in 2011).

Thanks, guess my years of calling it GEE WOO is down the toilet now.
:)
tOD

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 19:07 

I've got a cornilleau hinotec carbon off+ from Arietta. It's powerful yet accurate. It's slightly 86 grams but because of its slighy shorter blade face, the entire set up do feel like using a 82g blade. Very good blade though. I'm sticking to it. Say no more.

Tibhar Stratus Samsonov Carbon 79g
Hexer plus max
Vega pro max