OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Custom Paddles
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 03:29 

If you guys get a chance check out our new site. basementpingpong.com. We supply Spin Ny with all of their glow in the dark paddles used on their black light nights. They love our paddles and the rubber we use. You guys should be stoked that we are trying to promote the sport. We realize hardcore players won't use our products but these are great paddles and a lot of fun.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: Custom Paddles
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 09:37 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Didn't you already post this information in a previous thread you started

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19167

You (or the mods) might be better moving this to the "manufacturers / suppliers / retailers section of the fourm?

ps lot's of people and clubs and organisations do things to promote table tennis without a profit motive, rather for the love of the game but they don't tell other people that they should be "stoked" because they are doing it - they just do it and promote it and let other people make their mind up how good it is. Good luck with your paddles. Maybe you post a video of people using your paddles at Spin Ny to demonstrate who they are aimed at and how they perform?

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 09:46 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes it's debatable whether or not these paddles promote our sport. On one hand it may well bring new people to 'ping pong', but on the other hand it does nothing to raise the profile of 'table tennis' as a serious sport.

Topic moved to the manufacturer section.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 11:24 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

I think the truth lies somewhere in the company name, basementpingpong. I agree that this forum is mostly concerned with the serious side of the sport and it does a good job promoting this, so it's always going to sound insincere when someone suggests that we should be 'stoked'. As someone who works in marketing, I think you need to do a little more research on your target audience before you lose too many customers.

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2012, 17:50 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

@robinid: Telling us about your products is fine. They look interesting for some of the "recreational settings" I have been in. Not ordering any today, but perhaps later...

The fact that the products are popular with SPiN tells us that they are not rubbish.

However, it seems that I agree with Debater's and Oskar's comments:
Telling us that "you guys should be stoked that we are trying to promote the sport" is an attempt to make your product "larger than life". That is nothing but hype.

Basically, with what you post here (and advertise on your web site) you are trying to promote your merchandise. To that initiative, the sport is the vehicle, not the objective. Most of the regulars in these forums are genuinely trying to promote the sport, and may easily be offended by your statement (the one I quoted above). At least that's the general effect it had on me.

There is nothing wrong with openly advertising your stuff in the proper location. To my mind, your reposting (to other subforums, with no material content added as the only addition is the hype element) is bordering on forum spam. It may improve your rating with some search engines, but will not win many friends around here.

A more widely accepted method of keeping your information visible is to add a posting to your original thread from time to time, to "bump" the thread up to the front. (Note that excessive bumping will also be annoying to many forum users.)

I, and probably others too, will be interested in real information. Video footage, as Debater suggested, would not come amiss.

Also, I do not contest your statement about trying to promote the sport. You may well be doing that too. It's just that you are mixing roles here, and in this place you need to avoid that or it will hurt your marketing. (There are many regulars who have "been around", and also know the subject matter of "TT" better than you and me. They will easily see through that hype.)
The admin of this site is also selling TT stuff, and does an excellent job of separating his shop promotion efforts from sports promotion efforts. It's all about knowing which hat you are wearing. Look and learn!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!