OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 12:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 12:38 
Super User

I am having a training session and a meal with Taek Soo next week, he going to be spending a bit of time in NZ as his Wife and children are going to live here for schooling.

I have meet him before and he speaks good English, so are there any questions anybody wants me to ask him?

I am going to ask him

Who is the player he feared most to play?
What is favourite player ever?
Who was the worst, rudest player ever?

I will attempt to video my training session with him, he is not doing any TT here but as I helped him out he will give me some of his valuable time, to be honest I am a bit nervous about the session. Even thought I did train against the Korean Army team when Joo Se Hyuk was it the team here in NZ. And trained with Sae Hyo Won number 91 women last year. Not sure who is the biggest Star.

Cheers

Greggy

Gregg

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 14:16 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Hi Greggy, I know he has some amazing footwork, so could you ask him about how to develop good footwork?

Or does he also have good anticipation to help his footwork too? If so, maybe some advice on developing this as well?

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 15:42 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Yuzuki wrote:
Hi Greggy, I know he has some amazing footwork, so could you ask him about how to develop good footwork?

Or does he also have good anticipation to help his footwork too? If so, maybe some advice on developing this as well?

I can't think of one so ill Second Yuzuki's question :D

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2010, 05:08 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I would like to ask him about some of the best tips he's ever had.

Also the professionals are always so good at reading serves, so what's the key factors in reading the serve?

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2010, 12:02 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
I'm with De Haggis. I'd like to know what goes through his head in the less than fraction of a second you get to go into action. That would have the best value. If I met him, I would have a thousand more stuff. I keep it simple and high pay-off for now.

Kim Taek Soo is obviously an important player in Korean TT history. It is sad that the average Korean here in Korea doesn't know his importance or even that TT can be a serious physically demanding sport.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2010, 07:44 
The Artist
The Artist

I'd like to know his view on the Korean style of jpen play. Does he see a future for it or will it perhaps disappear from the pro level? Is Korea going the way of Japan and shifting completely to shakehand or is there technical development to try to take it further, like rPB for cpen?

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2010, 10:02 
Super User

I had the meal with Kim Taek so and his wife last week, but the talk was mainly archery. His wife is Olympics gold medalist and we meet with Archery people who sponsored her to NZ.

But I did a few questions in, I asked what player he respected the most and who is the best. He said Kong Liqhiu player he feared most and best current player Ma Lin. He said when he was number 3 Waldner was 1 and Perrson was 2. He said best current Korean was Oh followed by Joo.

Better news is that he came and ran one of our coaching sessions, and gave a speech before we started. He spoke for 15 minutes so here is rundown on what he told was the key important factors in TT.

1) Firm grip on blade but loose fore arm and upper arm. Hard to do but I am trying. Blade should not move in hand!!

2) Be aggressive, even with your pushes be positive push fast and hard always put your opponent under pressure.

3) Loop with elbow bent ( that is unlocked not open ) and always lower than the hand. Hit the ball at the top of the blade and run it down the blade and off at the bottom of the blade. He says not to loop round the ball but hit into the 11 o'clock on the back of the ball. Always spin the ball no slapping.

4) Arm and hip to together going forward.

I know most of this we have all heard before but from the horses mouth maybe we might listen more!!!

He say other things so ask me questions and I will see if anything springs to mind.

Cheers

Greggy

PS He is back in a month or so I can get more from him next time.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2010, 10:21 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Greggy wrote:
I had the meal with Kim Taek so and his wife last week, but the talk was mainly archery. His wife is Olympics gold medalist and we meet with Archery people who sponsored her to NZ.

But I did a few questions in, I asked what player he respected the most and who is the best. He said Kong Liqhiu player he feared most and best current player Ma Lin. He said when he was number 3 Waldner was 1 and Perrson was 2. He said best current Korean was Oh followed by Joo.

Better news is that he came and ran one of our coaching sessions, and gave a speech before we started. He spoke for 15 minutes so here is rundown on what he told was the key important factors in TT.

1) Firm grip on blade but loose fore arm and upper arm. Hard to do but I am trying. Blade should not move in hand!!

2) Be aggressive, even with your pushes be positive push fast and hard always put your opponent under pressure.

3) Loop with elbow bent ( that is unlocked not open ) and always lower than the hand. Hit the ball at the top of the blade and run it down the blade and off at the bottom of the blade. He says not to loop round the ball but hit into the 11 o'clock on the back of the ball. Always spin the ball no slapping.

4) Arm and hip to together going forward.

I know most of this we have all heard before but from the horses mouth maybe we might listen more!!!

He say other things so ask me questions and I will see if anything springs to mind.

Cheers

Greggy

PS He is back in a month or so I can get more from him next time.

thats great information Greg, I always enjoy when Joo chops on his forhand and how he keeps it low ,how does he do that so well? is there a target he goes for or is it more about just being aggressive in this area as well? (see you at the NZ Veterans :D ) and ill let you try the BBC Fiddler) . If my games are finished Ill try and put some long Pimple Ox on and get you or Greg Letts have a go lol) at this time its wishfull thinking :D

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2010, 10:36 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks Greggy, very good tips!

Particularly interesting about the grip and how the bat should not mive in the hand... I've heard other player say to have a loose grip instead. it makes sense though that it should be firm as any movement could result in loss of feel and control...

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 06:49 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Jpen
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL
Ooops, lazy me, I missed my chance to post any questions but great info there. :up:

Local Press Club (Journalists) Champion

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!!!!
http://xtrariter.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011, 01:09 

By contact of the ball at 11o'clock at loop does he mean the top left corner of back of the ball.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011, 09:51 

Aja aja fighting!

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011, 10:11 

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Cool experience Greggy. If i am ever in NZ, tell KTS a foreigner will talk to him in his language.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2012, 18:03 
Super User

One of my most favourite players, he has an impressive forehand and superhuman footwork and his Jpen backhand is said to be the best in history. Im also really surprised that he can speak English! Now that he's the coach of the national team of S.Korea, they might have a better chance of standing up to the Chinese! :topspin: