OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 12:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Greatest male prime player
Wan Liqin 15%  15%  [ 12 ]
Ma Lin 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Waldner 35%  35%  [ 27 ]
Kong 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Liu Guoliang 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
Ma Long 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
Zhang Jike 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Jiang Jialiang 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Guo Yehua 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
other 14%  14%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 78
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 20:37 

carbonman wrote:
Guo was ranked either 1 or 2 from 1977-83 (he retired in 83). In those days the ranking system usually gave the number 1 spot to the current World Champ so when he was 2 it was due to this. He played in 4 consequtive WTTC singles finals winning 2 of them. He lost one because he was injured during the match and had to retire (against Ono) whilst he was forced to chuck against Kohno.

He was unquestionably the best player in the world for 6-7 years. His losses were very rare but what is more significant was the ease with which he frequently beat the other top players in the world. Often enough they struggled to get to 10 (21 up games). He was supremely fit (he looked like a gymnast) and had amazing footwork and loops. His serves and lobbing were also great.

He came out of retirement in around 86 to play league in europe. Even tho he was overweight he still beat Waldner the only 2 times they met.

I have read that both Waldner and Persson consider him the greatest player ever.

Have you more exact info about pre-2001 rankings (mothly or yearly)? I cant find it. How many months was waldner at number 1? I think monthly ratings were introducer in 1991?

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 20:43 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

gregoire wrote:
Have you more exact info about pre-2001 rankings (mothly or yearly)? I cant find it. How many months was waldner at number 1? I think monthly ratings were introducer in 1991?

This list goes until 86. The ITTF ranking site goes back a little way (maybe 2000?). not sure of any lists from 86-2000ish. zzzuppp is probably the man for that.

http://www.ittf.com/museum/consolidatedrankings.pdf

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 21:08 

carbonman wrote:
gregoire wrote:

This list goes until 86. The ITTF ranking site goes back a little way (maybe 2000?). not sure of any lists from 86-2000ish. zzzuppp is probably the man for that.

http://www.ittf.com/museum/consolidatedrankings.pdf

Thanks,I will try to ask him :)

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2011, 18:42 

After doing some research now I have opinion about GREATEST PLAYER PRIME since 1990 year ( early I have too small info). From all I read and saw my top :
1. Wang Liqin
2. Liu Guoliang
3. Waldner
4. Ma Lin
5. Wang Hao, Kong
6. Schlager,Boll,Persson, ect
Now Ma Long and Zhang Jike have a good case for being in the top in the future.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2011, 03:39 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

gregoire wrote:
After doing some research now I have opinion about GREATEST PLAYER PRIME since 1990 year ( early I have too small info). From all I read and saw my top :
1. Wang Liqin
2. Liu Guoliang
3. Waldner
4. Ma Lin
5. Wang Hao, Kong
6. Schlager,Boll,Persson, ect
Now Ma Long and Zhang Jike have a good case for being in the top in the future.

well there you go , you got a 20 year window, if you change that window back another 20 years you will get a very different list, and from 2000 another list, stats are great for helping but its not always about stats.
its about our favorites/ who we actually know/how much knowledge we have/ what style of player we like/ If we copy banwagons/who we saw first/ How stats are displayed/ time period of infomation (for example) overlay 1980 to 2000 and not all the same players will appear
what determins great?

(the grand slam/ most wins/ number of world titles?/ how long players career was/ good at doubles,singles combined?)
I havn't seen hardly anything on Liu or Kong

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2011, 04:34 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
Waldner got me into the game so it's a sentimental thing to pick him. Also he was the most fun to watch, but looking at videos of the ones I could I bet Liu Guoliang would be the biggest pain to try to beat.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2011, 01:20 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
I know he never won any of the big events, but Kim Taek Soo was pretty awesome.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2011, 09:48 
Super User

This certainly did not turn out how I expected. :o

S#1: Joola Wing Passion Fast, FH: 729 Cream 2.2, BH: 802-40 2.
S#2: Joola Trix Medium, FH: Hurricane 3 Neo 2, BH: 279 FX Lightning 2.2.
S#3: Galaxy 896, , BH: Pro XP 2.FH: Pro XP 2.2
S#4: Senso Waldner Carbon, FH: Apollo I 2.2, BH: Blowfish Plush Short Pimple Tensor.

S#4: Giant Dragon Kris Special, FH: Giant Dragon TaiChi Soft, BH: Giant Dragon Meteorite Soft.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2011, 14:57 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

In the end I choose Viktor Barna :devil:

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2011, 18:59 

YosuaYosan wrote:
In the end I choose Viktor Barna :devil:

He is so old)

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2011, 23:47 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

Another who was never #1 (AFAIK) but still deserves a mention: Koji Matsushita.
If greatness is about creativity, enjoyment and giving the audience a good show, I'd say he's really up there.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2011, 00:07 

I have seen them all play live,but my vote would go to the great Swedish player Hans Alser,he could do anything. :*:

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 23:44 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
carbonman wrote:
Guo was ranked either 1 or 2 from 1977-83 (he retired in 83). In those days the ranking system usually gave the number 1 spot to the current World Champ so when he was 2 it was due to this. He played in 4 consequtive WTTC singles finals winning 2 of them. He lost one because he was injured during the match and had to retire (against Ono) whilst he was forced to chuck against Kohno.

Guo played in 3 world cups. He won 2 and finished 3rd in the other.

He was unquestionably the best player in the world for 6-7 years. His losses were very rare but what is more significant was the ease with which he frequently beat the other top players in the world. Often enough they struggled to get to 10 (21 up games). He was supremely fit (he looked like a gymnast) and had amazing footwork and loops. His serves and lobbing were also great.

He came out of retirement in around 86 to play league in europe. Even tho he was overweight he still beat Waldner the only 2 times they met.

I have read that both Waldner and Persson consider him the greatest player ever.

I know two players at my club who saw him play when he was in his 50s and they said he was destroying top 10 ranked ITTF players. The way they described him, it sounded like he was the kind unique talent that was special even for China and that they would be ecstatic to see his likes again.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 23:09 

NextLevel wrote:
carbonman wrote:

I know two players at my club who saw him play when he was in his 50s and they said he was destroying top 10 ranked ITTF players. The way they described him, it sounded like he was the kind unique talent that was special even for China and that they would be ecstatic to see his likes again.

Isn't Guo still in his 50s? For what it's worth, he is my pick for the greatest. Now if you have Zhuang Zedong on that list, Zhuang would just pip Guo for me....

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 23:18 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

kineticexplorer wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
carbonman wrote:

Isn't Guo still in his 50s? For what it's worth, he is my pick for the greatest. Now if you have Zhuang Zedong on that list, Zhuang would just pip Guo for me....

I think he is in his 50's and he's VERY fat so wouldn't be troubling the top 10 now. I think he was still beating them when he came out of retirement to play european league.