OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2012, 17:23 
Super User

I have always been mesmerised by Schlager's serves and have even tried to replicate some of them- I find them visually stunning but also tactically lethal.
I have a match here of Schlager against Wang Liqin in the 2004 WTTTC & Schlager still giving Wang some trouble with his services. We all know how effective his serve was in getting the 2003 WTTC title. :rock:

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 03:28 
Super User

What I like best about his serves is the fact that they are so "in plain sight". Especially his high toss serve. There is nothing hidden or iffy about it. Only serious variations in contact point and swing motion. To see world class players goof up such "plain looking" serves has always amazed me. I saw a video of him playing Ma Long from last year where he troubled him with these serves.

You see these players talking extensively about body rotation and arching and using the waist and head position and leg rotation and what not.

Then you see Shlagers serves. Refreshing is not the word.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 01:39 

I'm not sure where it can be found but there is a video somewhere of Schlager talking about his service strategy (and overall game). The video includes many super-slow-motion shots of different serves. One thing Schlager said that I found very interesting is that he tries to incorporate some randomness into his serves, mainly by making his motion very complex, i.e. any given serve is not necessarily repeatable. His reasoning was that if HE is not sure exactly what spin is on his serve, his opponent will be even more uncertain :lol: I'm not making this up.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014, 21:22 

This is an actual video from last year when Werner Schlager explained some basic rules of serving to participants of the ITTF Hopes Week and Challenge at Werner Schlager Academy in Schwechat, Austria.
There are many interesting and important points that he explains which can improve you services.

http://youtu.be/ldheZbxGWlQ

Coach at WSA and modern defender.
Racket:
BTY T05 (2,1mm) - BTY Joo Se Hyuk, straight - TSP Curl P4 (1,5)

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2014, 08:30 

Fab wrote:
This is an actual video from last year when Werner Schlager explained some basic rules of serving to participants of the ITTF Hopes Week and Challenge at Werner Schlager Academy in Schwechat, Austria.
There are many interesting and important points that he explains which can improve you services.

This is a great explanation of what I mentioned in the thread on What Gets You Cheap Points:

larrythoman wrote:
Another serve I almost always get most opponents on, especially the first time I do it, is a backhand heavy underspin short serve in which I pull my racket up the front of the ball. Most players will misread that as topspin as they see my stroke motion go from low to high and they're not used to players contacting the front of the ball with their strokes.

I was trying to explain this concept using a backhand serve of mine as an example, but as Schlager capably demonstrated, you can do it on the forehand also.

Larry

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2014, 20:08 
Super User

Blade: DonicWaldnerSenso
FH: Sriver FX-Max
BH: TSP Curl P-1R 0.5
I was sitting right behind him when he played Wang Hao at the last Olympics. He lost the match but most every time he served he had Hao struggling, and I'm sure he invented a couple of serves right there on the spot. It was breathtaking.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2014, 21:47 

I recently watched a video where Patrick Chila was talking about serves in general, and mentioned Werner Schlager's. He was saying that Werner really was a nightmare to play against, because he has a very very wide range of serves, and always manages to find at least one that his opponent struggles to receive correctly on this particular day (from one game to another, it could be a different serve for one same opponent).