OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 19:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Boll as a defender?
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2016, 21:25 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
No, I don't have video of Timo Boll playing defense. However, he states something funny in his interview:

http://www.mhtabletennis.com/2016/01/mhtt-interview-with-europes-table.html

"If you could start table tennis again what style would you prefer? Defense/Penhold/Which Hand/Counter/Blocker/Attacker etc.
I would love to play defense with short pimples on the backhand"

So, after Joo wanting to become an attacker, Now Boll wants to become a defender. :lol:
The grass is always greener on the other side? Or any other thoughts about this curious fact?

Post subject: Re: Boll as a defender?
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2016, 22:17 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Lorre wrote:
No, I don't have video of Timo Boll playing defense. However, he states something funny in his interview:

http://www.mhtabletennis.com/2016/01/mhtt-interview-with-europes-table.html

"If you could start table tennis again what style would you prefer? Defense/Penhold/Which Hand/Counter/Blocker/Attacker etc.
I would love to play defense with short pimples on the backhand"

So, after Joo wanting to become an attacker, Now Boll wants to become a defender. :lol:
The grass is always greener on the other side? Or any other thoughts about this curious fact?

He would be a terriffic defender I think. Would be nice if he tried that. Perhaps he was so precise i style and material because he has some troubles against it? He usually beat defenders, but he often has problems against Hou.

I believe Mikael Appelgren played a Swedish veteran champs with hard bat once (I think he made it to semi or so).

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2016, 22:42 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Def-attack wrote:
Perhaps he was so precise i style and material because he has some troubles against it? He usually beat defenders, but he often has problems against Hou.

Yes, that also might be a reason to want to become another style of play: having difficulties against that style.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 07:53 

I know nothing in comparison to anyone that has even seen boll's level of play. I'm just a fan here commenting on a sport that I love so I just want to say That up front. But I have watched lots on his matches on line and to me it seems like his attacks against defenders looks predictable and less dangerous maybe a bit stiff than against attackers. This is a major simplification but it just looked like one of his strengths is perfect form and shot replication which is why he has stayed in the top ten for so long. but against defenders it just feels like someone with his huge amounts of talent could very his attacks a little bit more than he does especially when he enters a loop to chop exchange. Not a fair comparison, defiantly not not the same player but waldner seemed to do a variety of things to make defenders more uncomfortable in a those situations. Its just something I have privately observed in the past. Of course I would be thrilled if I could hit two Boll type shots against his level of competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 21:40 
Joo Too
Joo Too

gmiller2233 wrote:
I know nothing in comparison to anyone that has even seen boll's level of play. I'm just a fan here commenting on a sport that I love so I just want to say That up front. But I have watched lots on his matches on line and to me it seems like his attacks against defenders looks predictable and less dangerous maybe a bit stiff than against attackers. This is a major simplification but it just looked like one of his strengths is perfect form and shot replication which is why he has stayed in the top ten for so long. but against defenders it just feels like someone with his huge amounts of talent could very his attacks a little bit more than he does especially when he enters a loop to chop exchange. Not a fair comparison, defiantly not not the same player but waldner seemed to do a variety of things to make defenders more uncomfortable in a those situations. Its just something I have privately observed in the past. Of course I would be thrilled if I could hit two Boll type shots against his level of competition.

I understand your observation, but I wonder why he's known then to be good against defenders?

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2016, 03:46 

Ridiculous right. your not a top ten in the world for 10 years with a hole in your game. he's amazing, and I'm just a knuckle head fan with an observation from a relatively small sample size.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!