OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 19:57

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2009, 04:39 

Yes

I have completed the BH Loop Workout, and you can see the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJ_4zda ... re=channel

I also completed "Competition Table Tennis" and you can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r77E_I-O ... annel_page

I am currently working on "Multiball Training, Shadow Training, and Advanced Table Tennis

These videos require so much time that I have not updated the website, but it's coming.

Brian

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009, 15:07 
Super User

I don't mean to ruin the main surprise but what's Advanced Table Tennis?

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009, 21:58 

No Big Surprise, especially with the title. Advanced Training for Table Tennis is a 2hr DVD, that addresses more complex training to make any player more technically, tactically, and competitively more advanced.

This Video is very High Level Training for players that think they have mastered the Basic and Intermediate Fundamentals, and wish to add another dimension to their existing game.

It is by far the most complex DVD of all the videos in the Series. Me and my training Partner where shattered for days after completing it.

It should be out around Nov. I'm currently working on some other small projects.

Brian

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2009, 00:01 
Super User

Could you at least answer this one last question about it?

Will it be the same drills as the other DVDs? I noticed that your way of teaching in the BH Loop Workout is quite the same also the same in concept in the drill you've used in Competition Table Tennis. With all the Financial Crisis going on, I want to save at least until the next generation or so provided I survive until then :P

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2009, 00:51 

The Drills that are in Competition Table Tennis are not the same as the BH Loop. The Phase are the same as far as Technical System, Tactical System, and Strategic Systems. Competition Table Tennis pretty much covers everything, and the BH Loop Workout is 25 Exercises that just focus on developing the BH Loop.

Advanced Training for Table Tennis is 25 Exercises, and if I'm not mistaken only 2 of them are exercises that have been seen in my previous 3 Videos.

So your money will be well spent on something new, different, and really, really, really, complex.

Brian

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2009, 17:50 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Hi Brian,

Couple of questions please about table tennis rubbers. When you were playing competitively

- how often did you change your rubbers when you were playing professionally at the peak of your game and how often do you change now
- are the rubbers professionals use exactly the same as joe bloggs can buy from his local store eg if a pro uses a sheet of bryce is it the shame sheet anyone can buy

On tactics,

- there must have been days when you played and things just weren't working. When you played a match and you weren't "on form" ie forehand missing, or touch lacking for what ever reason and you were losing a game how did you cope mentally, what did you do tactically? I tend to get really frustrated with myself and either try and hit my way back in to form, or go the complete opposite way and just push the ball about and try and win "ugly".
- when you are playing badly (or not as well as you know you can) have you ever lost your temper with yourself in a match and if so, how did you calm yourself down and if not, how do you stop yourself losing your temper

Thanks

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2009, 20:46 

Debater

Great Questions. I will try to answer them as best I can. When I was training Professionally, I was training in Romania, and I was changing my rubber every 2 weeks. I was putting 24-26 hours per week of loops on the rubbers, and after that amount of time and abuse the rubber needed to be changed.

The rubbers that are used are the same rubbers that customers get all over the world. Some Chinese players get certain topsheets and sponges put together, which is a special order because of their level and need, but they are the same. Most of those rubbers are not popular with the main public. The main benefit that top players get is that the rubbers that are out are always given to the players very early. I know that Primorac and Kim Taek Soo were using Sriver EL years before it came out.

Now on to tactics.
I have started back training professionally in May, and in my first 2 months I didn't find it difficult to get a hold on how things play out tactically. If you go to my website you can see some of my training on my Video Page if you click on the "BP Reloaded" link. In fact, at the Pre-US Open tournament, I took down the No. 3 Canadian player that was rated 2610, and it happened because of tactics.

There are so many gears you can go through before any player should "Throw in the Towel" to having a good day tactically. Table Tennis is "Physical Chess", and if you can't fully execute your shots, then the next agenda is learning how to neutralize your opponents agenda. You don't have to necessarily win playing ugly, but I'm not against that. If you have your opponents style profile, then that is all the information you need to have a good day. Some of my best days came when I was not playing my best, but I was still competing my best.

Since the age of 17, I have never lost my temper. I actually have that last match on videotape where I lost it. It was 20 years ago, and I was playing my best friend, Rocky Wang, in the finals of the Team Event at the Junior Olympics. I was not actually playing bad, but we needed to win that match, and I became more frustrated as I could not get the match to swing in my favor. I still have that match, and Rocky and I watched it about 6 months ago, and I tossed my racket in the air and kicked it about 10 times in a 3 games. We made a promise to do a split screen interview and show that footage because it's so fare off the wall, that it's actually comical.

That performance was my "Emotional Breakthrough" to never losing my cool in competition. What I replaced that frustration with is actually spending 100% of my time making an attempt to do the following:
1. Spend the first game totally committed to finding the correct strategy.
2. Focusing on modifying the strategy based on the tempo of the match as it plays along
3. Monitoring if I am having a good day with regards to landing my shots
4. Making sure that I know the best shot sequence to execute at the end of the game.

If you can focus on those aspects I really think you'll have your hands full, which would really prevent you from getting upset. What I realized is if lost, I really had no reason to be upset, because I now knew how and why I lost. That is the same information that you can take back to training.

I hope you find this information useful

Keep Looping

Pacer

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2009, 09:47 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Wow that post is an absolute gem!!! Thanks a lot for sharing that with us Brian!!!

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2009, 23:05 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Thanks for the reply Brian, very interesting.

I checked out your website but the video clips took ages to load so I ended up watching a couple of the reloaded samples on your YouTube channel instead.

You say if you have your opponents "style profile", then that is all you need to have a good day. Without asking you to give away your "livelihood" what briefly goes in to making up a style profile ie what does it consist of?

Also, does this mean you adapt your game to take advantage of your opponents weaknesses rather than play your game and impose your strengths on them? Does this not get you in to difficulty in that you are in danger of neglecting your own best parts of your game in the quest to take advantage of their "worst" ie you compromise your game? It will also require a very good all round game to be able to change tactics and style and be able to perform the best shot sequence to execute at the end of the game. What do you recommend to players who don't have that all round game but discover a weakness of an oponent and need to be able to exploit it in that particular match at that time.

Also, at my level I'm not proficient in many aspects of the game in terms of shot performance, let alone the mental approach to table tennis. What type of thoughts or mind set would you recommend to someone who is not at a intermediate or advanced level to be thinking about when they play a match. By this I mean, sometimes people recommend me to concentrate on playing my forehand correctly, or concentrate on getting back to my recovery position - technical parts of the game, rather than mental, but do you recommend carrying these types of thoughts about the technical side of a game in to a match or do you recommend concentrating only on the strategy ie what works or doesn't rather than thinking about why it does or doesn't work.

Lastly - I know lots of questions, but I think the mental side of table tennis is often overlooked and this is a great opportunity to discuss it - how do you develop the mental ability to recognise during the game how it is developing from a strategic point of view. Often when I play I come straight from work and carry other thoughts on to the table or I just struggle to focus so games can pass me by with me either forgetting what my tactics were - or even remembering any of the points I've just played. I'm good at watching and developing tactics for other people, but very bad at being able to do that for myself during a game - especially as table tennis is so complex and potentially fast with many other things competing for my attention other than mental strategy. What do you do to focus your mind, clear it of unnecessary clutter and then remain focused on the job in hand for the duration of a match?

Thanks

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2009, 23:35 
Super User

Brian,

What do you like more? Orange or White Balls (jokes aside :lol: )

What camera are you using to film your videos?
You see, I've watched this user on Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/worldrubber (Japanese)
I can see from their website and blog that there like You and Dynamic Table Tennis.
They offer self made DVDs and their Youtube Account offer free Videos.
What they don;t have is the facility and equipment to shoot videos.
Pretty much the ordinary, HD Camera, Mic, Table, Balls and Seminar Type DVDs.
Though you offer much better content in English, I wish that someday you offer Seminar Type DVDs where the camera stand behind the table and you and your partner show things etc. It's much more convient and much easier to edit.
I think when I viewed my friend's purchase of Textbook Table Tennis in mp4 format, the quality wasn't that good to HD. Sometimes it was blurry due to all editing etc. Plus it gets annoying with the title of Dynamic Table Tennis and Music keep on appearing and repeating. So I ask that in the later DVDs, if possible try to keep it as simple as possible. Though I like to make my post shorter and summarize it, I'm too tired today so I might be posting another post later.

EDIT: Long Story Short, maximize your HD Camera, keep the video organized and simple and don't over do it with the "decorations".

Last edited by makai on 08 Aug 2009, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2009, 00:37 

Debater

Great Questions! I will try to answer as best I can.

Style Profile
What I mean by that is being able to bullet point the points of interest, and that could be if the player always does goes for a 3rd Ball. Players that are going for the 3rd Ball are going to do it often, as well as early. Their objective is to establish their games, quick fine tune their shots for the match, and gain the tempo in the match.

If that player sets up that 3rd to happen out of the BH Counter. Most players have a attack sequence that happens from a certain area of the table, and maybe their attack shot is not to good, but from that position that have their sequences down packed, so quickly make not of where the attacks are coming from.

You have to acknowledge if they have a good follow up shot. Most players haven't thought through the 1st or second attack, and if you can return multiple attacks shot you will know whether or not they can follow up, or if they have no real agenda outside of their 1st initial attack shot.

Find out if they are 5-7 rallies deep with a good variety of shots. If you can neutralized the 1st attack you have to understand if the player really does have a true agenda of trying to outplay you, and making it a point to play multiple shot around the table will help you establish if they are interested in the point going into extended rallies.

If they are playing to win, or playing not to lose. This is probably the most important aspect of "Style Profile", and that is understanding if your opponent wants to play the ball through you, or having you miss. Some players will have the attitude of trying to play pass you, but actually their profile really wants you to be the player to miss. So you have to know the difference between a weak attempt to threaten you with an attack shot, or a player that is their life's ambition to get the ball pass you. All of this information is being passed along really fast, especially for a player that you have never played, but that information is there. The biggest obstacle will be trying to gather all this information, find and objective to winning, without turning into a spectator while in the match.

Next Answer: Their is a very fine line between taking advantage of your opponents weakness, and executing your own game plan. If you are a player that is concerned with being a strong competitor, you have to make an attempt to do both. Backing off your attack shots, or changing angles may spell disaster to your opponents, and you have to approach that in a way that you don't feel like you are sacrificing your game, but implement the best "Tactical Approach". If you don't have the skills to execute what you have to need to do to, then you have to go with what you have. Expanding your "Skill Based" should be something that is addressed in training, so you can call on it in the heat of battle.

Next Answer: I want you to "WRAP" your head around this before I give you the next answer to your question. If you are playing someone in your peer level group, then 75% of your points that are won, are actually played at 60%-75% of your perceived effort. So I truly would recommend you at least becoming proficient at playing up to 75% of your perceived effort without feeling threaten that your opponent will obliterate the ball. You only win 4 points per game hitting your best shot against a player in your peer level group, which means the bulk of the points are won in even effort exchanges.

Last Answer to your Question: A quick story to help you understand the difference between knowing the path, and walking the path. I lived in played in Romania from 2001-2004, and my coach was Andrei Filimon's dad. I was mostly a FH Attack Player. I had a been working on my BH Loop Attack shot for about 8 weeks in training camp, and I had perfected it. What I hadn't perfected was my "Gut Instinct" to execute it in competition. So in our first League Match, I was going with the FH Attack every time I had the chance, and Coach Filimon kept saying, "What about your BH Loop"?, and I kept saying, "OK, I'll do it". In the last league match of the day the score was tied 2-all, and I was playing the 5th match. The score was 9-all in the 5th, and Coach Filimon called a time out. He said, "Brian, everyone in this room knows you are going to serve and FH attack, even this 7 year old girl sitting here that does not even know how to play. So do a BH Serve, then BH Loop down the line". I went to voice my concern and he said, "I'm going to the bathroom to take a crap", and just walked away. Now, I'm faced with actually testing this shot in the most critical moment of the match. So, I served a BH Serve short to the FH, and my opponent pushed to my BH Loop, and I ripped a BH Loop down the line pass my opponent. The crowd went silent, and I was thinking, "What have I done"? I looked over at the coach and he bowed his head as if to say, "See". Up 10-9 in the 5th I served it again, and my opponent was so confused that he pushed the ball in the net. That was my moment I because fearless in "Training My Instinct" with the proper shot that I have been executing in training. There is no other way to learn Mental, Emotional, Tactical, and Strategic awareness but to implement it in the ideal environment which "Competition".

I hope this information paints a good picture for you.

Pacer

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2009, 01:40 
Super User

Also, Brian, did you have any matches with other professional players other than those in America and Andrei Filimon?

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2009, 01:59 

Makai

Thanks for your email. I have always used yellow balls, but recently I have become much more fond of the white balls. I'm not sure why, but I have traded my yellow balls for white.

I'm using a Sony HD Camera, which works well with Final Cut Pro.

I'm have a Clinic Coming up at the end of the year, and I'm going to have about 30 player attend, and shoot it as a "DVD", so I show all different type of players, and how to address correcting their technique, etc. Right now, I'm up to my eyeballs with running the company.

The downloadable format of Textbook Table Tennis is good quality if you watched the Quicktime Version, but the Windows Version is not as good just because that format never really comes out good when you down convert from the original. The original final of Textbook Table Tennis is 120GB and is in HD, and it is an incredible thing to watch on an HD TV. That quality is stays consistent if you buy the DVD, and there is no real way around making it better when down convert it to a small file. The beauty is players can buy the video, and download it to their computer from all over the world.

With regards to film-making, every producer has their style. From Steven Spielburg to Eagle Eye, to Michael Bay with Transformers and Bad Boys, to George Lucas and the Star Wars Series. I went to school and I studied every aspect of how to produce a video. I have kept it extremely simple, but more importantly I wanted it to have a very high production value. Intro Music, Outtro Music, and Voiceover are all apart of making a video with a high production value. I coupled that with very strong content, as well as strong execution of every technique. I'm not saying that my DVD is the best, but I know based on all the elements you need, it truly does stand out. I wanted it to be on par with what you will see if you watch a Yoga Video, or a Tae Bo Video. It doesn't have to be a Hollywood Production, but it shouldn't look homemade. I think having a high production value is what is missing in the majority of Instructional Table Tennis Videos. And having "Decorations" is ok, if you have strong content to back it up. Some videos just have "Decorations", and are lacking in the content.

I think you should focus more on the content than the decoration, because that is where you will get your improvement.

That's my take on it

Pacer

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2009, 07:42 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Thanks for the help Brian.

I tried the player profiling tonight. I expected it to be too much to concentrate on the technical aspects of my game and the strategy side but it actually helped me relax and focus on what I was doing. I actually had something I could concentrate on and it started to make me more aware of other things I was doing. A long way to go, but this has been a big help. Thanks

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2009, 13:31 
Super User

Brian,

I did emphasize on content but sometimes me and my friends get pissed off making us say "Is there a NEXT Button around"

I want to explain this. Normally when you buy Instructional DVDs, when you play it in Media Plays, in the Playlist, they will have Chapters and this will be useful specially for people like me. Is it possible to do in the Downloadable Versions?

While I do get your point there, can you give us your basis on how you choose your equipment? (Blade/Rubber) Did Butterfly just gave you recommendations or you picked what you want and just played?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!