OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 23:33 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

Brian Pace wrote:
Bogeyhunter

I have played a multitude of choppers in the 2500-2600 range. In 1998 I played against Koji Matsushita when I was training at the Butterfly Dohjo.

He has the classic choppers game, and because he mixes up the spin so well, you never really get a chance to build up. - Kind of you're not sure of how much spin the ball is and you can't really attack hard, afraid of making mistake? Did he place the ball everywhere or mainly your BH corner?

Plus, he can attack his ass off, so if you play it safe, he's going to go for it. So you find yourself forcing attacks to actual ensure that he chops the ball. - This's new to me. I never seen he really attack before.

Pacer

About that twin bother : Maybe the reason he's so good at DEF because he had a great practice partner who lived with him?

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64

Last edited by Bogeyhunter on 17 Mar 2009, 07:20, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2009, 03:09 
Super User

Actually he started as a two winged looper but was influenced by the choppers in his era e.g. "Mister Chopman" and was inspired from there.

Oh my gawd. I haven't been on here since Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:52am
Stiga NCT Allround Wood : FH Tenergy 05 2.1 BH Bryce Speed 1.9

Nittaku Shellshock : Sriver FX 1.7/Feint Long II 0.5~~Darker 3Mai Gouban : Mark V 1.8/Solcion 1.9
Unused : Tenergy 64 1.9, Flextra 1.7, Micro 2.0, Mambo H 2.0, Mambo H 2.0, Reforma 2.0

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2009, 06:24 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Brian!

I assume you've played quite a lot of long pimple choppers in your time? I would love to hear a little about the general strategies that you would try against these players...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2009, 00:16 
Two Winged Warrior

Brian, in your Butterfly reviews you always had to sneak into the warehouse. Did you really have problems with upper-managment or couldn't you reach the time limit without? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2009, 15:22 

Thanks for your question.

I tried to make the review a little funny. I was such a big fan of the food network that I looked for an angle that would give it as much entertainment as it did education.

I know that I'm way more charming than any sheet of rubber, and that was the real problem. You can only do so much to make a rubber good to use.

And for the record, I have had a problem with "Upper Management" my entire life for every job I have worked, so I that thought it would give it a hint of reality that everyone could relate to.

Pacer

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2009, 15:28 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Hehe, I think anyone who isn't "Upper Management" usually has a problem of some kind or another with "Upper Management" LOL. :lol: :lol:

Its their job to hand out problems and put on the pressure. And its also their way of getting even for the time they put up with the crap when they weren't in the inner sanctum, and for the crap "Even Higher Upper Management" still give them! :lol: :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2009, 08:14 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Brian

Since you worked for BTY for such a long time, i guess you would have had a lot of exposure of what goes on behind the scenes of manufacturer? This is something I'd be very interested to hear about, but of course I respect that there are some things you cannot share!

I'm thinking of issues like:
- Marketing tricks
- Competition between brands
- Copying of technology
- Awarding sole distributorships

If there's anything you know about these types of things, and can share, I'd be very interested to hear about it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2009, 08:20 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

Speedplay question on how to handle a leftie is so timely. I was whopped last night by a good leftie player :oops:

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2009, 08:56 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Hi Brian,
When you are forced wide on the forehand around mid distance, what sort of decisions do you make on where to place your loop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2009, 12:21 

Silver

When I'm in that position, I place the ball to the middle of the table for a couple of reason. The first reason is it gives me time to get back in position. The second reason requires my opponent to make a body movement to play that shot. Again, securing that I can get back in position.

I hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2009, 10:34 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Brian!

I thought you might know this, coz of your long relationship with Butterfly. There are rumours that there are 2 (or more) grades of Butterfly rubbers, and some countries getting lower grade rubbers at a cheaper price.

I find this hard to believe, and I've seen no real evidence of this rumour, but I suppose it's possible that Butterfly would make (or select from batches) the higher grades for the countries that can afford it more, and the lower grade for the countries where cost is a big consideration.

Do you know anything about this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2009, 10:44 

Hey,

This is something that has been happening for years, but in a different way.

When batches of Bryce were made, they would take the sheet that were hard and call it Bryce Hard. They have done that to other rubbers like Ekrips and Catapult.

I'm not aware of the rubber quality being lower or higher, so that is new to me. I am really not aware of the price being changed.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2009, 10:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks Brian!

I guess that would mean the hardness consistancy may not be the best, as many rubbers would be marginal... or right in the middle...

Still most people may not notice, or adjust very quickly to a slightly different sponges... The professionals probably get to select their sheets, so it's not an issue for them...

How did you choose your rubbers?

PostPosted: 23 May 2009, 19:13 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Hi Brian,
Is there any way of managing yourself when you peak too early?

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2009, 04:25 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Hi Brian,

Are you still producing videos? Your web page hasn't been updated for a long time.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next