OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 01 May 2024, 23:02

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: 14 May 2009, 20:30 
Noppen Guru

@haggis:

yes, I often try to take them with the backhand because I am a little bit lazy sometimes :lol:
I try to take the ball early after coming to my side because the higher it goes the more difficult it is to play.Sometimes when it is high and I am too late I let the ball come down and play my technique then.
You can only chop to be safe but the most effective there is to go a little bit sidely to the ball.I hope you understood what I mean.

PostPosted: 14 May 2009, 20:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes I understand... So take the ball early if you can get there in time... If not you may let it drop and chop it... Brushing the ball sideway is more effective...

PostPosted: 16 May 2009, 01:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victas VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
haggisv wrote:
Sebastian: Can you give me some tips on how you handle high and slow balls to your backhand. I realise if you're quick enough you can hit them with your forehand, but what if there's no time to do this? Do you ever try and hit them with the pips?

High and slow balls to your backhand? Unless the ball is unexpectedly super deep, these are the balls I wait for/try to setup because they're an easy LP slam opportunity, most of which go untouched on the other side. The trick is to learn to flat hit the ball back-handed, which I can best describe as a flyswatter motion (assuming your swatting a fly back-handed) with all the rotation done at the elbow and the wrist nearly static or perhaps closing slightly at contact. Well worth perfecting as the shot is devastating to opponents!

Sebastian, do you ever attack such balls with your LP?

PostPosted: 16 May 2009, 05:23 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

Also looking at your game the key strokes you look to play with pips are very tight positional strokes, e.g. just over the net or long sidely strokes. Would that be a fair summary of your pip strategy?

Frictionless strokes | Attacking pip strokes | Greggy's advice | Bollsbrother | Sebastian Sauer . . . . . .

PostPosted: 16 May 2009, 06:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

nathanso wrote:
haggisv wrote:
Sebastian: Can you give me some tips on how you handle high and slow balls to your backhand. I realise if you're quick enough you can hit them with your forehand, but what if there's no time to do this? Do you ever try and hit them with the pips?

High and slow balls to your backhand? Unless the ball is unexpectedly super deep, these are the balls I wait for/try to setup because they're an easy LP slam opportunity, most of which go untouched on the other side. The trick is to learn to flat hit the ball back-handed, which I can best describe as a flyswatter motion (assuming your swatting a fly back-handed) with all the rotation done at the elbow and the wrist nearly static or perhaps closing slightly at contact. Well worth perfecting as the shot is devastating to opponents!

Sebastian, do you ever attack such balls with your LP?

Sorry to sort of hi-jack this thread, but could you say a little more about the fly-swatter smash,
thanks
tOD

PostPosted: 16 May 2009, 07:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

TOD: Imagine giving someone a backhand slap, but at an angle. The wrist works in only one plane here (not side side but back and forward). it's kind of like a no spin shot you hit straight through the ball. I use my wrist here for power a little but also placement.

PostPosted: 16 May 2009, 09:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

antipip wrote:
TOD: Imagine giving someone a backhand slap, but at an angle. The wrist works in only one plane here (not side side but back and forward). it's kind of like a no spin shot you hit straight through the ball. I use my wrist here for power a little but also placement.

thanks I will give it a shot tomorrow...pun intended:
tOD

PostPosted: 20 May 2009, 08:58 
Noppen Guru

@all:sorry again for answering that late/in the future I will try to look as often as possible but I will always answer

@nathanso: I did not understand your shot exactly/could you be so kind and try to describe it again?

Regards
Sebastian

PostPosted: 20 May 2009, 09:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victas VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
SeppesTT wrote:
@all:sorry again for answering that late/in the future I will try to look as often as possible but I will always answer

@nathanso: I did not understand your shot exactly/could you be so kind and try to describe it again?

Regards
Sebastian

Yes. As antipip described rather well, "imagine giving someone a backhand slap, but at an angle". Perhaps more clearly stated as "imagine giving someone a backhand slap, but at a 30* downward angle." The shoulder and upper arm remain static, with the elbow pointing towards your opponent. Motion comes from extending the lower arm by pivoting at the elbow until the arm is nearly straight (beware of hyper-extending the elbow! Ouch). The wrist is static as well. It's the smack down of table tennis shots. ;)

PostPosted: 21 May 2009, 07:33 
Noppen Guru

Now I understood what you mean.
I know this shot is possible and it fits better with a sponge or a catapultic blade but I have sorrows about good control when the ball is not at the perfect point.
Maybe some topspin technique would be easier but you are invited to tell us your experience with that.

PostPosted: 22 May 2009, 23:28 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

Hi Sebastian - I'd like to ask the previous question I raised in a different way.

How would you summarize the key strokes in your game, and how do the pips and the inverted rubber strokes relate to each other? We've all watch your videos and games but a bit of help here would be welcome.

Frictionless strokes | Attacking pip strokes | Greggy's advice | Bollsbrother | Sebastian Sauer . . . . . .

PostPosted: 23 May 2009, 00:12 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Hi Sebastian,

Now that the slow Insider will be gone, any tips on blocking short with faster long pips?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 23 May 2009, 16:44 

Hi Sebastian:

3 things:

1) What's the amount of speed, reversal and disruption of the Flutter long pimples? you could compare with TTmaster Insider in speed and with Tibhar Grass Dtecs in reversal and disruption...

2) If you recommend catapult, stiff, balsa blades with control oriented pimples......then what would be your opinion on a very slow, stiff, balsa blade with faster long pimples to compensate? is this the wrong way to look for controlled attack?

3) Have you tried the Meteor 8512?

Thanks a lot...

PostPosted: 25 May 2009, 08:17 
Noppen Guru

@mathias:

as key strokes I would describe the sidely ball, the short layn ball as return and a short dropped ball aginst underspin to make a little bit pressure.

With the short layn ball and the sidely stroke or a block I often make the opponent only chop so that I can make the point with forehand tospin. Wit the short dropped ball I mostly receive the opponents topspin that I can block. If this block is placed well the opponent will only chop as well.

@mynamenotbob:

blocking is not as easy as it was before.Against slow topspins you can handle well with the new rubbers.If you take a slow racket it is often the same. Sometimes when there comes a very hard topspin it is neccessary to make a fast movement to take the speed out of the ball. If this is not possible you have to go back a little bit and chop with a short movement. This has not to be long chopping but in a way like that closer to the table. With new material sometimes this little bitr going back could be neccessary when you have to react fast.

@redyborde:

I will go the other way round to answer to your questions.

3) I did not test this Meteor rubber but I heard something good on it

2) this is a very individual question. This is not the wrong way in my mind. It is just an other opportunity.Some players like slow blades with faster rubbers more because they have more feeling of control but this changes from combination to combination

1)I will answer to that question at a later time. To answer that I want to have more detailled test-results from other players, too.

PostPosted: 26 May 2009, 05:39 
Super User

Hello Sebastian,

did you make a "Noppenlehrgang" near Nordhessen - Kassel?

nice to see you hear

Uli

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next