OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 06:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 17 May 2009, 07:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

You can get hold of John at his newish website: http://www.hiltonkeantabletennis.co.uk/index.htm

tOD

PostPosted: 28 May 2009, 06:20 

Hi John

I used to go to the YMCA in the days of Dave Constance Nigel Eckersley Phil Bowen Derek Scholfield Mike Johns. All those who knew how to play you! Probably remember my dad Dick Turner from Rosebank Sports. I used to go to the training sessions at Salford, must have been 30 years ago.

Hot glued and hair drier

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2009, 08:32 
Super User

john came to west aust i think 7/8 years ago for holiday. he played in comp and wiped our top 2 players. his off, flat f/hand is his best shot i think. you think he is going crosscourt and then does a lookaway f/h down your b/h.
best shot i have ever faced.
its time for another trip under john, mike has bought another expensive flat, sure he will let you stay again.
your other younger friend from manchester came out again, around 4 years ago.see you soon.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2009, 10:15 

Here he is, playing against Gergely in 1980 :

and against Stellwag, also in 1980 :

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2009, 20:08 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Love the bit at 2:18 in the second video - Hilton gets a point winning net, puts his hand up to apologise.......then can't contain a big grin ! :lol:

185g

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2010, 09:12 
Super User

I played John Today, he beat me 3-1, he was very difficult to read, twiddled constantly and was playing with short pips and long pips, he used the long pips predominently when Forced back from the table, and when hitting with his b/hand, and the short pips at the table where his spin variation was very difficult to read.He can also 'loop' with either side. He's still very fit too. I had a brief chat with him about this forum, but I really don't think its his thing at all, I mean forums in general.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2010, 09:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wigpupl wrote:
I played John Today, he beat me 3-1, he was very difficult to read, twiddled constantly and was playing with short pips and long pips, he used the long pips predominently when Forced back from the table, and when hitting with his b/hand, and the short pips at the table where his spin variation was very difficult to read.He can also 'loop' with either side. He's still very fit too. I had a brief chat with him about this forum, but I really don't think its his thing at all, I mean forums in general.

Where were you guys playing?

I agree with you about the forums. I remember, some years back, when I rebuilt his computer and hooked him up to the internet, the technology, to him, it was just a drudge. John has a great capacity to be able to communicate across very wide barriers. I admit to a distinct prejudice when it comes to John. He is one of my favorite people and a hero to me.
Thomas

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2010, 09:25 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Wow lucky you!

Thanks for bringing up the forum... I thought as much... forums are just not for everyone :(

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2010, 09:40 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
wigpupl wrote:

Do you happen to remember specifically which long pips, short pips and blade he was using?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2010, 09:42 
Super User

We were playing in the British league Vets division 1, he plays for Tameside, I play for Fullmarks, we both play at number one for our respected teams, but John lost to our number two Glen Wilkes in a great match, which my team won 5/1.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2010, 09:44 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
wigpupl wrote:

Do you happen to remember specifically which long pips, short pips and blade he was using?

Sorry, I looked at his bat before we started, but without my reading glasses I could not make out what the rubbers are, I think he spinmaxes his pips though.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2010, 09:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wigpupl wrote:
We were playing in the British league Vets division 1, he plays for Tameside, I play for Fullmarks, we both play at number one for our respected teams, but John lost to our number two Glen Wilkes in a great match, which my team won 5/1.

thanks for the info
tOD

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2010, 09:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
wigpupl wrote:

Likely Winning NP8 and some permutation of Tibhar for the long pips and yep he used to use spin max on long and short pips.
tOD

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2010, 20:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
i think the shorts are more illegal than the bat,tighter than John Barnes early 80`s!

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2010, 17:53 
Super User

Having played John last week, I know how Dvoracek felt!

Part two is there if you look.....