OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 15:44

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2017, 19:59 

Blade: Yasaka Extra Offensive
FH: Tenergy-05
BH: Mark V
I'm having some kind of a problem when doing the TPB to FH/RPB transition, my backhand finger seems to always slip following a tpb grip.

You guys have any tip as how to correct this problem?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 03:18 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Navrad wrote:
I'm having some kind of a problem when doing the TPB to FH/RPB transition, my backhand finger seems to always slip following a tpb grip.

Caveat: I am not a full time penholder and only play for fun (and badly). I started out as a JPEN Player. But I will tell you what my old coach told me.

Coach suggested that I adopt a grip and keep my finger positions on the back of the blade in the same place on the back of the blade no matter FH or BH (TBH). On the backhand side, you role the bat over your fingers, but the tips of your fingers remain in the same position. Don't slide you fingers up to close the bat, use your fingers and wrist to create the angle.

Yoo Nam Kyu demonstrates that one should do a "swim" motion with the bat back to neutral position when doing BHs. That way, whenever you need to suddenly go to the FH, you are in an efficient position to do so. I find that most of the time when my fingers slip, it's because I am not back to neutral and I have to suddenly change to BH.

I posted this on another site recently, but coincidentally it's applicable here. Watch YNK demonstrate the backhand stroke and swim motion recovery I mentioned. He even exaggerates it for effect. Jump to 2:34 in the video.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 22:29 

Blade: Yasaka Extra Offensive
FH: Tenergy-05
BH: Mark V
Japsican wrote:
Navrad wrote:

Caveat: I am not a full time penholder and only play for fun (and badly). I started out as a JPEN Player. But I will tell you what my old coach told me.

Coach suggested that I adopt a grip and keep my finger positions on the back of the blade in the same place on the back of the blade no matter FH or BH (TBH). On the backhand side, you role the bat over your fingers, but the tips of your fingers remain in the same position. Don't slide you fingers up to close the bat, use your fingers and wrist to create the angle.

Yoo Nam Kyu demonstrates that one should do a "swim" motion with the bat back to neutral position when doing BHs. That way, whenever you need to suddenly go to the FH, you are in an efficient position to do so. I find that most of the time when my fingers slip, it's because I am not back to neutral and I have to suddenly change to BH.

I posted this on another site recently, but coincidentally it's applicable here. Watch YNK demonstrate the backhand stroke and swim motion recovery I mentioned. He even exaggerates it for effect. Jump to 2:34 in the video.

wow nice video! thanks for pointing this out for me. It's hard to find this kind of video in youtube since they are not in english.

p.s. i dont understand what that dude is talking about, but i get the idea lol.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 01:11 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Yep. I get how hard it is because of the lack of coaching and support with info. Youtube YNK, Kim Taek Soo, and Rye Min Seung. They all have tutorials on there with backhand grip specifics. But the YNK vid is the only one that specifically addresses the transition from BH to FH.

And..I have no idea what he's saying either. If you have a Korean friend, have him translate. (And share with us!). :rock:

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 00:31 

Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao II
FH: DHS Hurricane III NEO Pro
BH: Nittaku FastArc-G1
I too have issues when switching between TBH blocks and RPB. My fingers have to adjust slightly on the back side to feel stable. I haven’t yet found that “one position” that will work for RPB and TBH and even my FH. I’m always slightly adjusting. Not quite sure if I just need practice to get used to it or if I need to stick to one grip and adjust pressure on my fire finger and thumb to control the bat angle....

Can you guys describe or picture more how you position your fingers on our shots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk