OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
Live Table Tennis Videos Table Tennis News Live OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 12:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 May 2010, 10:26 

I am new at playing Short pip Chinese pen-hold and I seem to have trouble deciding weather to flick, push or roll incoming serves. So far I am fine when I am just doing forehand training or backhand training. But I still have a hard time deciding what to do when returning serves :(. Most balls seem like they are high enough to flat hit,but I tend to either over shot the table or hit the ball into the net ;( . I heard that if the ball has side spin it should be a give away to flat hit the ball. But what do I do to serves that are low and have side spin? In general what is the best way to return low served balls? Is it still necessary to push a heavy backspin ball or can that ball be rolled as well?

My next question is now pertaining to my service :P . When I was watching videos of short pip pen-holders like He Zhi Wen, he seems to serve really long and fast serves. I tried that, but I usually get my ball basted past me (-.-). So I usually try to serve medium to long low back spin and top spin serves with my pips on my forehand and sometimes using my my inverted bh then switching back to my pips for the 3rd ball attack. This kind of serving works well on low level players but not too much on people better than me. When I play them I seem to never get a good position to get a strong 3rd ball attack since they either blast my ball past me, or return the ball really low forcing me to rush my attack which usually makes me over shot the table. What can a short pip pen-holder do on a serve to set themselves up for a attack?

Any suggestions is fine thanks

blade:Ma Lin extra offensive Chinese Pen-hold
FH:| FH: 729 802, 1.5, black
BH: Sriver El 2.0, red

PostPosted: 26 May 2010, 22:49 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

what you have to do is get a mate to do 15 serves all the same (topspin) and you do 5 attack shots 5 rolls and 5 blocks, it only come with practice, and when attacking the sidespin (the top spin version anyway) is treat it like top spin , you are going long probly because you are not compensating

with serves, just mix them up and never the same serve twice, reduce the spin on some and pick at new placement

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2010, 11:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Kitekun wrote:
I am new at playing Short pip Chinese pen-hold and I seem to have trouble deciding weather to flick, push or roll incoming serves. So far I am fine when I am just doing forehand training or backhand training. But I still have a hard time deciding what to do when returning serves :(. Most balls seem like they are high enough to flat hit,but I tend to either over shot the table or hit the ball into the net ;( . I heard that if the ball has side spin it should be a give away to flat hit the ball. But what do I do to serves that are low and have side spin? In general what is the best way to return low served balls? Is it still necessary to push a heavy backspin ball or can that ball be rolled as well?

You should always put some topspin on the ball, more if it's lower.

Sidespin should not be flat hit but should be spun on. If you hit the back of the ball, it will go into the net or off the table. Short backspin can be continued to add spin, that an be a nasty shot.

Backspin can be flipped, rolled or flat hit, depending on depth (short balls flipped) and long balls rolled or flat hit depending on their height. You can't flat hit a ball unless it bounces higher than your elbow, and if you catch it early or late it's better to spin it on.

You can roll long light backspin, but it's generally better to loop heavy long backspin, turning their backspin into your topspin by opening your blade and using your legs, just like with inverted.

Kitekun wrote:
My next question is now pertaining to my service :P . When I was watching videos of short pip pen-holders like He Zhi Wen, he seems to serve really long and fast serves. I tried that, but I usually get my ball basted past me (-.-). So I usually try to serve medium to long low back spin and top spin serves with my pips on my forehand and sometimes using my my inverted bh then switching back to my pips for the 3rd ball attack. This kind of serving works well on low level players but not too much on people better than me. When I play them I seem to never get a good position to get a strong 3rd ball attack since they either blast my ball past me, or return the ball really low forcing me to rush my attack which usually makes me over shot the table. What can a short pip pen-holder do on a serve to set themselves up for a attack?

He Zhi Wen is a master blocker so wants to get into a blocking rally. If you don't block as wel, don't serve long except as an occasional variation, keep it short with side or topspin when possible.

Jack Miller custom Kevlar/carbon Chinese style penhold
Armstrong Attack 3L 40 1.8 red
Nittaku Nodias 1.8 black

Jack Miller custom Kevlar/carbon Chinese style penhold
TSP Spectol Blue 43 hardness 1.5 red
Air Scirocco SN 1.8 black