OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2010, 12:00 

Hi everyone.

I'm a penhold player who's being active in the sport again after 10 years. Recently, I've been practicing RPB technique w/c wasn't something that I do when I was still very active. And you bet, it's really fun to use this technique.

I don't know what happened, but I used to topspin a lot of long balls when I was still very active in the sport, not to mention being a 1 sided hitter only. I used to use my traditional backhand for blocks and serve returns only. I used to play at Regional and National level back in high school. I feel that recently I'm not able to read very well where the ball is going to go to and because of that I'm most of the time not "squared" to attack. Any advise on where I should start to get me competitive once again?

I'm currently using Stiga Tube Aluminum blade and Focus 3 2.2 on my FH and 729 Tackspeed 2.2 on my BH. I feel a great deal of control w/ the Focus 3 but the speed is terrbile. I'm able to place my topspins left and right w/ the rubber though. But I want a little more speed. On my BH, I decided to use 729 Tackspeed because I needed power for my RPB. I feel that at this point, I just need more consistency but not denying the fact that I may be better w/ a grippy rubber on the BH as well.

I feel that my setup is quite heavy, given the very light blade. I'm planning to change my rubber, starting on the BH side. Would Focus 2 be good, say I'll use it for my FH and use Focus 3 for th BH (but I'm gonna lose power on my RPB)

Any other 729 rubbers you may suggest? I prefer grippy over tacky topsheet as I already have an established pendulum serve w/c generate a lot of spin w/o the use of a very tacky topsheet.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2010, 10:00 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

How about using the Focus III on the BH and
for the FH use the 720-02 or 05, (or the 08, or one of the DHS Neo's, but they are more tacky)?

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2010, 10:22 

I can consider the 3. Any idea about their weight?

Just recently, I decided to remove the 729 Tackspeed and go w/ Mark V. The weight difference is night and day. I haven't played w/ it though. But Mark V has been at the forefront even 10 + years ago so maybe the rubber can help me.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2010, 16:35 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

They would be noticeably heavier than your Focus III and Mark V.
Maybe try your new set up first. Your stiga blade is quite fast so a controlled rubber would make a good combination.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2010, 21:09 

Thanks. I'd probably go w/ Mark V on both sides then. My bat got noticeably lighter after just removing the Tackspeed and I feel that Mark V would be the best rubber I can use while I'm still "discovering" my strokes again.

Now off to training inquiries.

Anyone have any suggestion on how I could speed up my serve/spin reading for a better placement and return?

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 13:20 

does anyone know if donic black devil would do fine w/ mark v rubbers on both sides? I think I need an extra kick w/ my loops/loop drives but don't want to use tensor rubbers, at least for now.

I'm now using Mark V on both sides by the way. Great grip as always.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2010, 14:42 

Do you play with donic waldner BD? How is looping and serving so far? I've played yesterday w/ DWBD and it was pretty hard to loop and to serve spinny balls, i don't know if its because of the blade or its more rubber-dependent.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2010, 12:41 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

go for DHS Hurricane 3/Hurricane 3 No 19 sponge/ perhaps a provincial version for FH, maybe DHs memo 3 or Dhs TNT for BH all of these rubbers are very cheap especially on ebay. i bought a new sheet of DHS Hurricane 3 2 weeks ago of ebay for 14 dollars inc delivery

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H