OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 19:07

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2010, 13:50 

Hi all, first time poster but I've been lurking for a few weeks.

Recently started playing again after years of hiatus. A few months back when I started playing again, I was using a pre-assembled Friendship 720 cpen bat (inverted rubber on FH, long-pips on BH). My grip style is cpen with traditional block BH (fingers curled and stacked on the backside). No issues with index finger numbness.

However, I recently purchased a Gambler Black Diamond CPEN bat with inverted rubber on both sides (in future hopes of learning RPB). I noticed right away that the handle was wider and slightly thicker. Also, because of the inverted rubber (Gambler Four Kings 2.15mm) on both sides, the bat is thicker. I also asked the assembler to place the rubber butt-up against the top edge of the handle with no gap, as I typically like to rest the tips of my thumb and index finger on the topsheet for some added grip.

After I stopped playing for a few hours (mostly rallies with attacking FH loops and drives), I noticed that the tip of my index finger was numb. The numbness persisted for a few days, but unfortunately I played a couple times within 2-3 weeks without correcting the issue. My last session was Friday night, so it's still numb although I can feel is slightly subsiding compared to last night.

I'm assuming this has something to do with the difference in the blade handle, and perhaps I'm applying too much pressure with the index finger, thus cutting off circulation. Before my last session, I sanded down the edge of the blade slightly to make it a bit more comfortable, but I'm not sure I did enough. There's also a bit of skin scaring where my index finger rests on the handle. Because of my continual negligence, it's kind of formed a hard surface like a callus, so it's no longer causing pain during play. This is probably the reason for me ignoring the fact that my finger is getting numb.

Any suggestions on how to correct this problem? The blade is balsa core with glass weave, sandwiched with limba wood. Because the wood outer layers are thin, I was a little reluctant to sand down too much. I basically just sanded it down slightly to get rid of the sharp edge, but it's probably not enough to reduce the circulation problem for my finger. Is there any issue in sanding down the balsa core?

Not quite sure what to do at this point. I may be a small minority that loves the balsa feel, so I'd hate to part with the blade. Thoughts and/or suggestions very much appreciated!

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2010, 13:55 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
I would not hesitate to sand away as needed but I would then seal the sanded area with poly or another good sealer. Don't want fiberglas fibers in the fingers. :)

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2010, 16:31 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Sand away.

Just go over it with fine grit paper to smooth it. Sealing is optional IMO, i've never had any issues, but if you want to be on the safe side seal it anyway.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2010, 03:03 

Upload a photo of your grip plz, so we can see if there is any visible error you are making with your grip.
Also, consider moving up the forehand rubber so your thumb and index lay on the wood, this will lessen the pressure in your fingers.

Galaxy T-11+
FH: Donic Bluefire M3
BH: SpinLord Dornenglanz II (OX)

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2010, 10:25 

Thanks for the advice guys. I've sanded it down significantly, and even cut into the blade more so that the blade is narrower around the handle. There's much less pressure on my index finger now, and the numbness is starting to subside.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2010, 11:58 
Cho Tokusen

Very good. If you still feel uncomfortable, you can sand it a little bit more with fine sandpaper (I usually finish it with grit 600 0r 800).