OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 04:14 

Hey guys, since Butterfly Sriver FX is a good standard for learning rpb, I'm assuming Mark V is as good an option. Mark V is about $10 cheaper here in the States so I would like to get some opinions on which Mark V would be the best option. Would Yasaka V-Stage be too fast? $38 on Megaspin.net seems like a good deal.

Thanks!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 16:57 
I am Legend
I am Legend

From softest to hardest (and pretty much slowest to fastest)
Mark V 30
Mark V AD/GPS --->between Sriver FX and EL
Mark V ---------> EL - L (regular)
Mark V XS -------> about the same as L
Mark V M2
Vstage

A few comments too - keep in mind all of these were meant to be glued.
Mark V 30 - Soft, sort of dead. Plays ok at the beginner level though. Keep in mind this was supposed to be glued heavily.

AD/GPS - are the same thing/ I prefer FX over these two as I feel FX grips a bit better, for a bit longer. Easy to play and control, good for RPB

Mark V - a touch softer than regular sriver, easier to spin with and control. Good for RPB.

XS has a gripper topsheet than the rest of em. Not sure why. Not too bad, but since the sponge is medium hardish you need to hit the ball and not do crappy slow-arm shots.

M2 The thing I remember most about M2 was that it was described as "An old sheet of Vstage". It was surprisingly accurate. Doesn't spin as well as XS imo. Faster and more direct.

VStage was your bryce competitor. Fast, medium hard to hard, above average grip. Maybe not as spinny as XS

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2011, 13:39 

Thanks Silver! That's exactly what I needed to know. I'm using Butterfly Cermet at the moment and my rpb has been improving. I want something a tad slower but didn't want to get a Mark V variant that was too slow. Appreciate the input! :up:

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2011, 06:09 

I see on your signature that you have on H Hao this rubber Hurricane 3 Prov Black 2.2 where did you get it from? is it any different than the normal Hurricane 3? How is it working with H Hao blade? also do you leave space between rubber and handle (like ma lin) or you dont (like hao)?
Sorry for being irrelevant but i just gotta ask:P

Btw, i use sriver eL for bh but but i can change to sriver L when i want.. great stuff for rpb you have to try them..

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2011, 06:29 

@zeropredator: I got the rubber from tabletennisonly.com

I've never used the normal one as this is the 1st tacky rubber that I've ever used. It feels kind of dead, but I think I haven't broken it in yet. I like the speed though, I thought it would be too fast with the H Hao blade, but it's easy to control (medium speed). I personally like a big gap on my blades, like 3/4" - 1". I tried no gap, but had such bad knuckle pain that I would wake up in the morning and my middle finger would be stiff.

After much consideration I will probably go sriver for bh....sigh, but the mark v is $10 cheaper! :headbang:

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2011, 07:56 

Hmm can you loop easy with the rubber when the ball is low? can you flat-smash hit with good control and power or does it make a weird vacant sound and slows the ball down? Also how is H hao blade? Is it rising to your expectations or do you feel like it's lacking somewhere?

If you have gap between rubber and handle your rpb is harder to do when the ball has speed (although it is more spinnier). But if you train it well and dont face any problems like i do (fking sweaty hands make me lose the grip everytime i switch to bh) i think you ll be in a good road ;)
Sriver EL is a very good looping rubber that provides a lot of spin
Sriver L is a little harder thus meaning more power.. maybe a little bit more control..

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2011, 12:12 

I tried looping with the hurricane 3 prov briefly but I don't have the technique for looping with tacky rubbers, so I can't say. Smashing though, was nice and very controlled.

The H-Hao H-WH, (I guess there's a lot of different Hurricane Haos) is nice. Many people said it had a lot of vibrations, and I can agree with that. The blade is listed as OFF++, but it feels like OFF. I bought it for $49.99, I think maybe it should of been around $39.99. Two things I like about it though is that it is thin ~5.5mm and the dimensions of the head is 165x150mm meaning a little more room to RPB. I haven't been playing with it lately because I'm undecided on ripping off the Hurricane 3 and slapping on Mark V on both sides.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 13:02 

wonton wrote:
I tried looping with the hurricane 3 prov briefly but I don't have the technique for looping with tacky rubbers, so I can't say. Smashing though, was nice and very controlled.

Are you using Hurricane 3 Neo Prov or regular Hurricane 3 Prov? I'm sure regular Hurricane 3 Prov works pretty well too without speed glue, but I wouldn't know that...

But anyway, as you can see in my signature, I use neo hurricane 3 prov, which I from ttrubberman. I absolutely love it. My form is just starting to develop, but already, just through trying to mimic the full arm, Chinese-style brush loop, I have been able to hit loops that travel at a fast but controllable speed, travel extremely low over the net, and pick up a good amount of speed after contact with the table. The third ball attacks also seem to come off the rubber quite well. In comparison with other rubbers, I could be wrong, because H3Neo Prov was my first (and only) good FH looping rubber, but I'd say the H3Neo Prov rubber could be considered (excuse my language) a BAMF.

I can bet regular H3 Prov could work well too with good technique and no speed glue. Of course, I don't know that because I just don't have any experience with that rubber. But I'd recommend that you keep working on it. You could benefit greatly from it.

That's my 2-cents worth of an opinion on the H3 Prov and H3Neo Prov rubbers as someone who's a novice by his own standards. Hope it helps.

As for Mark V rubber, I haven't tried it yet. I use Sriver-EL for RPB, and I like it a lot. My RPB technique is actually pretty bad, but I can tell by the shots I DO get that it's a very good rubber that's pretty forgiving.

I might try Mark V as my next RPB rubber. I'm kinda curious about it now. I hear it's good.

Blade: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive C-pen
FH rubber: Hurricane 3 Neo Provincial 2.2mm black
BH rubber: Butterfly Sriver-EL 1.9mm red

Backup: DHS X4006 (Pre-assmebled, DHS PF4 rubber on both sides... oh, how unfortunate! I can't really afford another nice set like my primary. that set cost so much already...)

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011, 00:15 

Thanks for your 2 cents DaKrazed :) .

The more I played with the H3 (prov) the more I liked it for pushing and serving, but I couldn't get over the heaviness of the rubber. My transitions from forehand to rpb was a lot slower which led to a lot of missed balls. So, as of yesterday I put 2 sheets of Mark V 2.0mm and it felt great right from the get go. Pushing was nice, excellent control and spin was good. Most of all, the weight of my overall setup was perfect. I was hitting way more balls on the table with rpb. While I have to put more effort with it compared to Tenergy 05 fx on the forehand I think the control aspect has made me a much better player. So I think I'm going back to classic rubbers for now :P .

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011, 16:33 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

if you have H3 prov it could be used for rpb, but you gotta have a fast arm and a snappy wrist.. which results in pure awesomeness. low fast spinny ball.

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H