OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 20:20

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Is My Rpb Grip Unusal!?!
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2011, 04:47 

This is how I hold my bat normally. I have developed my rpb using this grip and I m pretty good at it. But one question that I dearly want to ask other penholders,

Did you guys notice how my bh fingers sit? My 4th finger goes little further than my 3rd finger.

Shouldnt my 3rd finger be little ahead of other fingers? Like I have seen of
Great Rpb God Master Wang Hao's.

FYI I have curved my 4th finger a little bit inward and my fingers are of perfect length in ratios like of other normal human beings.

Is it unusal the way I rest my 4th finger? How do you rest ur 4th finger?

And

After few knocks, this is how my grip changes from its intial position.

My forehand grip is Ok as I have curled my pointing finger inward like
Great Rpb God Master Wang Hao does. But in my backhand due to inevitable sweat build up under my finger tips, it is almost impossible to maintain my curved 4th finger grip. Due to slippery sweat, in the motion my 4th finger slides even further straight. This makes my grip a bit awkward for my rpb. I wipe sweat off my finger tips a lot. But if my grip changes while in a play then I am doomed. In this situation I try not to use my rpb and I go all forehand till the end. Of course abandoning rpb at that point and going for fh all the way means granting my opponent that oppertunity to exploit my bh weaknesses. I can do rpb with this awkward grip but it is like I said very awkward and chances of error is big. Try it urself using this grip? And do please say what you think.

Does anyone have this same problem as me? or somewhat like this? There must be somebody who went through this very same problem while developing their rpb so plz do comment. Just anything that may shed some lights over my ignorant rpb technique.

Many thanks in advance
Rosh

Last edited by MrRosh on 21 Jul 2011, 17:58, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2011, 05:02 

Judging from pics, your grips, in both cases, before and after so to speak.

Your 4th finger is actually exerting more force than your third finger, in both pics the 4th finger is more straight than the 3dr finger.

Using 4th finger mainly makes it hard to recover from strokes

The other reason that your grip would change is because you have bigger hand/ longer fingers, the bat handle is too small for you

my 2 cents

BH Butterfly Sriver 2.0mm

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2011, 06:50 

I was just browsing around the forum and I bumped into these photos from this guy who uses the J pen.

Can you see that this guy grip is very much similar to my current grip? His pinky finger is straight like mine. His 4th finger is extended to the furthest of all. His 3rd finger is curved like mine.

So the big question is 'Have I got the J pen grip?'.

I have always been a C penholder and I have just recently adopted the rpb technique. In the process to adopt the rpb technique of Wang Hao's style, I did raise my 3 fingers to the middle of the blade.

I really dont want to be a J penholder which is by now a extinct species.

Is there any J penholder who can please clarify my grip? And also I do rpb with this grip.

Last edited by MrRosh on 21 Jul 2011, 18:16, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2011, 16:19 

Do you use your middle finger as a pointing finger? :lol:
As I use it to grip the handle, so it's on the forehand side.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2011, 18:22 

My bad. Thanks a lot for correcting me.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2011, 12:28 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

i wouldnt curl my index finger when using a fh stroke.. for rpb that would be fine and tbh( just as long as the thumb is moved to the edge of the blade

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2011, 23:41 

I was wondering, for my RPB my grip changes and then i actually have to shift back to my forehand grip when i do a forehand loop. Does anyone else do this or should i focus on changing my grip so it can be used for back and front?

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 01:58 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

for me to minimize change over from RPB to FH i tend to cluster the BH fingers a bit off center that way when switching over there no finger rearanging the bad side is that you would have to rearange if you were to use TBH

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2016, 14:38 

I used to have the same problem, i rest my fingers in the BH exactly as you do, but i think that is more a problem about the slipping fingers in the BH side, not about the position of these fingers. I glued a piece of sponge to in the BH rubber where i rest my fingers and i have solved the problem of the slipping (losing grip) either if i put my figers like WH (i wish) or if put them the way you describe. That way i can feel confident while i hitting an rpb.

Sorry for the bad redaction, i hope this helps.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2016, 10:13 
Super User

I've put a lot of time and thought into grip and it depends on four factors. The beveling of ones blade, the balance of ones blade, the build of ones hands and if one is going to play modern ( with rpb) or classical ( no rpb) pen hold. Mr rosh finger above are long and he has a thinner handle so he can hand a long index finger and still have a graceful grip with an rpb. Stiga and dhs blades a have thicker grips and I have short stubby fingers so I use s short index finger and my 2nd and third finger don't go nearly as far down the blade. Mr rosh grip look like xu xim. A more head heavy blade make one want to go further down the grip to balance things out. To see how this feels try playing with ones finger tip barely touching the blade. Makes it feel heavy. My xiom blades are head heavy like that. If one doesn't bevel their blade correctly any grip will feel awkward. I've 15 blades. And I've still not mastered that....but I'm close. Lastly a classical player will play more like a jpen player. The forehand and backhand grips are totally different. Ma Lin in the best example. At the end of his career the rpb very rarely.

https://youtu.be/pHUwpTQ3JrI

Look at his backhand grip. I played classical for decades and could never use a long index grip to hit a rpb well.

Lastly. Watch your pressure. Toothpaste tube pressure until you hit then let it loose again.