OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: A whole new style!
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2007, 13:58 
Super User

Recently, a friend of mine found a really old blade in one of his relative's attics, a pretty nice quality Cpen. It's pretty hard and stiff and with damn good gears, so when he lent it to me to try out, I put a sheet of short pips on it (Globe 889), since that seemed like the best fit for this kind of blade. I haven't had a chance to play with it for more than half an hour, but it's definitely a fine blade. I like it even more than Clipper Wood for short pips.

Then just tonight, I had the crazy idea to stick a sheet of Neptune on the backside of it. Hitting against the wall when using the LP on either RPB or the front side feels very easy, just like the short pips on the other side except a bit slower and with less spin. Seems like a pretty interesting thing to try out.

Then I had my second crazy idea. When I picked the blade up off the table after taking a quick break, I noticed that it was quite comfortable to hold shakehand since the handle isn't that tiny. In a matter of a few seconds, ideas were flying through my head of playing my two serves holding it penhold, playing a traditional fast attack style with the short pips (and attacking any heavy underspin with the LP), but then switching to shakehand on my opponent's serve to chop with the LP on backhand and to both chop and attack with the short pips on forehand, ala Neubauer. I've tried chopping with short pips on backhand before and found it too difficult for consistently low returns, but never realized that short pips actually suit my forehand chop quite well.

So I'll be trying this out on Monday, to see if it works at all. Even if I don't play very well with all of the switching between points, I'm sure my opponents will mess up just as much from the confusing effect of me oscillating between the two opposite ends of the style spectrum. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2007, 15:46 
Cho Tokusen

The blade has no brand name ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2007, 16:13 

Shakepenchop. Interesting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2007, 22:50 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Hobbes aren't you worried that the handle will fly from your hand with no flare on it? Is there anyway to make a penhold handle longer, or is there like a cover in existence that is made to convert a penhold to a flare? Does anyone know. I think this would be a useful bit of equipment, but it'd probably have to be moulded plastic (or rubber?) rather than wood perhaps. Would it be legal? And what is the diff between Cpen and Jpen exactly?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2007, 23:57 
Super User

There's no brand name on it, but it looks kinda like one of the old DHS PF4 blades (but I distinctly remember those being thicker). I don't need any extra modifications to the blade. The handle is already conical, and not quite as short as a regular Cpen handle, so I can grip it pretty easily.

The difference between Cpen and Jpen is pretty major. Cpens are just the regular kinda of rounded head blades, but have shorter handles than shakehand blades. The style is mostly suited to looping near the table or a traditional style of short pips fast attack. Some people use it for blocking styles as well (usually with long pips).

Jpens are sort of square headed and have a large block of cork protruding from the front side of the handle to grasp with your index finger for a more secure grip. The blades are generally much faster than Cpens and the style is more suited to mid distance looping and driving, with fishes and lobs on the backhand side. If you've never seen one before, here're a few pics of my Jpen:

Edit: photos removed

Last edited by Hobbes on 09 May 2015, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2007, 08:37 
A Beautiful Brain

hi Hobbes...

If you use the bottom link (starts with [img]) under the picture in Photobucket it places the photo in the text of your post as I have done in your quoted post below....there are other ways but this is the easiest...Oh!!, I am assuming that you would want the photos in the text...lol

fosss

Hobbes wrote:
There's no brand name on it, but it looks kinda like one of the old DHS PF4 blades (but I distinctly remember those being thicker). I don't need any extra modifications to the blade. The handle is already conical, and not quite as short as a regular Cpen handle, so I can grip it pretty easily.

The difference between Cpen and Jpen is pretty major. Cpens are just the regular kinda of rounded head blades, but have shorter handles than shakehand blades. The style is mostly suited to looping near the table or a traditional style of short pips fast attack. Some people use it for blocking styles as well (usually with long pips).

Jpens are sort of square headed and have a large block of cork protruding from the front side of the handle to grasp with your index finger for a more secure grip. The blades are generally much faster than Cpens and the style is more suited to mid distance looping and driving, with fishes and lobs on the backhand side. If you've never seen one before, here're a few pics of my Jpen:

FH = Transcend SP on a MAX Big Slam sponge.
BH = Bomb Talent OX

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2007, 09:18 
Super User

Oh, I know how to do it. I just generally try to leave them as URLs if the thread title doesn't imply that there would be large images in it, for the sake of the 56k users out there. It can be awful for them to load big images like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2007, 09:31 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Is there anyway to make a penhold handle longer, or is there like a cover in existence that is made to convert a penhold to a flare? Does anyone know. I think this would be a useful bit of equipment, but it'd probably have to be moulded plastic (or rubber?) rather than wood perhaps. Would it be legal?

This is something I've wondered too. I have a Joola R*1 penhold I would LOVE to use as a shakehand if I could extend the handle just a tiny bit.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2007, 12:53 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
Hobbes wrote:
Oh, I know how to do it. I just generally try to leave them as URLs if the thread title doesn't imply that there would be large images in it, for the sake of the 56k users out there. It can be awful for them to load big images like that.

wow, now that's one piece of forum etiquitte I never thought about :lol:

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2007, 14:08 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Is there anyway to make a penhold handle longer, or is there like a cover in existence that is made to convert a penhold to a flare? Does anyone know. I think this would be a useful bit of equipment, but it'd probably have to be moulded plastic (or rubber?) rather than wood perhaps. Would it be legal?

This is something I've wondered too. I have a Joola R*1 penhold I would LOVE to use as a shakehand if I could extend the handle just a tiny bit.

I'm pretty sure it's both possible and legal. There are many blades with plastic parts in the handle, like Stiga's WRB blades, so that's obviously not an illegal modification to it. You could just glue some plastic cut to the shape that you want on to the end of the handle (or a block of wood would work as well, if you can carve out a piece the right size), and then put some tape or a handle cover over it to keep it secure.

If anyone does this, please put up some pics/a post about it, since I always love to see the mods people make on their blades, as do a lot of other guys on the forum it seems. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2007, 19:53 
A Beautiful Brain

There is another way to allow for dial up users, and that is to reduce the size of the picture from about 85kbs that the pics are... down to approx 17 kbs, and that is an acceptable size for a dial up connection to download.
I will use the below pics as an example...the first picture in its original format (as it is above) is 84.5 Kbs, and the second picture, a copy of the first, but of a much smaller Kb size of 17.8kbs without any appreciable loss of picture quality...so 3 pics could be loaded for the total cost of 54 kbs as against the cost of 85 kbs for one picture.
To check the picture size, right click on the picture, and click properties and you will see the top one is 84.5 kbs and the bottom one is 17.8kbs..
anyway...just thought I would mention it...and I have to admit I am guilty of not considering dial up users when loading pictures before, so it is a valid reminder to consider picture size before loading pics to a post....

fosss

Joo Se Kev wrote:
Hobbes wrote:

wow, now that's one piece of forum etiquitte I never thought about :lol:

FH = Transcend SP on a MAX Big Slam sponge.
BH = Bomb Talent OX

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2007, 00:05 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
thanks for the tip!

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2007, 00:42 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Thanks Hobbes,

I found the pic of the JPen quite interesting. Definitely not see a handle like that before. And its good to know that a CPen can be extended and not be illegal. I picked up one really cheap on ebay with XP and XT Gold and Silver Rubbers. Wouldn't have bought it except the whole (brand new) bat with rubbers wasn't much dearer than just one rubber, except I didn't realise it wasn't a shakehand when I won it. The guy seemed very keen for me to cancel (I think as he knew he could get a MUCH higher price in another auction). So I figured it was a cheap way to try these rubbers and even if I can't modify the bat I can always buy another blade and change the rubbers over (assuming similar shape). But of course modifying the handle should be cheaper and maybe easier as I am without experience gluing new rubbers much less changing rubbers. Mind you I might have to start trying this soon as I feel this EJ disease slowly coming over me.

Cheers,

Reb.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!