OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:29

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2012, 20:33 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Do you think jpen or cpen grip offers any advantages over shakehand at your level?

Are there any advantages between jpen compared to cpen?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2012, 19:55 
Super User

I liked single sided cpen and jpen because I could recover faster compared to shakehand, but my wrist seems to get damaged in the process :( but I have juic 999 turbo to comfort me

BH: Tibhar Grass D.Tecs OX

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2012, 23:13 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

why would your wrist get damaged? single sides anything is very light.. the only reason for that is that your wrist muscles arent developed enough.. and from looking at you you have a small frame and lack of muscle.

come over to ireland and ill train you and beef you up.

as for adv/disadv

sometimes you jsut gotta try it and give it some time and it might feel more natural. like it id with me

shake hand = big cross over which is offset with better control of the ball using BH
= to me there is limited power that you can have access to( swing wise) / but it is more compact which yields easier recovery

Cpen= better if you want to use RPB. but still possible with jpen but kinda harsh on the wrist .
the lack Bh is offset by a posibility of a stronger Fh but yet again offset by the need for solid footwork

Jpen easier= to do TBH with. lightweight ( single sided or ox pips on back or sp . could work or the other way around). needs decent footwork

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2012, 14:10 

I don't think I've ever known anyone else who thinks of it this way, but I think of the two main styles of penhold as both having analogous shakehand styles.

Cpen (inverted on both forehand and RPB) <-> shakehand (inverted on both sides)
Jpen (single side inverted) <-> shakehand (inverted on forehand, long pips on backhand)

The first is pretty obvious (offensive looping and driving on both backhand and forehand), but that second one probably has you a bit confused. Let me explain my thought process. Shakehand modern defense involves offensive strokes on your forehand wing, typically loops and drives, and defensive strokes on your backhand, typically blocks and chops. Jpen involves the same, except chops are replaced with fishing (for any not familiar with the term, fishing is placing half-lobs with lots of topspin deep on the table to push your opponent back and/or force an error). The distribution of offensive and defensive shots on each wing for inverted/LP shakehand matches up evenly with Jpen, even if the strokes aren't identical.

Penhold definitely does offer some advantages over shakehand. Because of the angle of the paddle and your ability to twist and tilt it more aggressively, you can potentially serve much better with penhold. It's also typically a forehand dominant style, even among those who play with RPB. In Cpen's case, it's pretty much unrivaled for close to the table fast attacking. Jpen dominates the mid-long court thanks to the extreme power you can get out of thick 1 ply blades and the ease of fishing and lobbing off the backhand. Shakehand is usually more of a close-mid court style. Dual inverted benefits greatly from its symmetry, and the mechanics of it allow for some very fast loops. It's also probably the most inherently intuitive style. Inverted/LP is the only commonly seen style that heavily incorporates chopping, and has a lot of potential in terms of speed and spin variation, which can be very disruptive.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2012, 17:57 
Super User

Ive tried all 3 styles, of coarse with jpen, the backhand is the major weakness, all that I can ever do is block or start lobbing when pushed back.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012, 01:54 

Benduo wrote:
Ive tried all 3 styles, of coarse with jpen, the backhand is the major weakness, all that I can ever do is block or start lobbing when pushed back.

That's debatable:

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012, 08:39 
Super User

Thats Kim Taek Soo, what do you expect? :D

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2012, 14:33 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

In general:
SH is better in covering the wings.
CPen is better at close to the body shots and close to the table plays. It is also good at 3rd ball attack. Personally, I think it is better at service return.
JPen? I don't know. I have never played JPen for real. I guess it has the most powerful FH, >CPen, and possibly >SH.
SH gained an advantage over PH when the ball size increased from 38 to 40mm.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2012, 06:38 

i play sh but i can also play cp quite well,including rpb.
i find i can produce better spin using cp while serving and looping(more so on rpb shots)
the reason,i think, is the possibility of better/wider wrist movements with the cpen grip.
the main dissadvatage for me with cpen grip is my relativelly poor defensive shots on backhand(rpb,because i can't play the traditional cpen backhand,i just don't get it...)

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2012, 10:56 

i have played JPen and SH, so i will try to compare the differences between these two.

SH has a much wider crossover point, but it has a much better backhand than JPen. i cannot loop against backspin with my BH when using JPen. JPen can make lobbing quite easy as well as blocking with your BH. Some players are able to hit quite well with their BH but i cannot do that at the moment. i tend to control the placement of the ball with my BH. Also, i find the FH with JPen to be more powerful and often have a lower arc than SH. i can often cover my BH weakness with my footwork but it is very demanding to play JPen. as for serving and receive, i feel that JPen has a slight advantage in this area especially serving. penhold players can use more complicated looking serves, this can be just me though. When you watch Ma Lin serve you might understand, his serves are so hard to read.

Spin Art, T05, T64, Grip-S, Neo H3, Rakza 7, Nittaku & Xiom rubbers

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2012, 12:32 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

elganu wrote:
i find i can produce better spin using cp while serving and looping(more so on rpb shots)
the reason,i think, is the possibility of better/wider wrist movements with the cpen grip.
the main dissadvatage for me with cpen grip is my relativelly poor defensive shots on backhand(rpb,because i can't play the traditional cpen backhand,i just don't get it...)

one tip with Traditional blocking the harder he hits the closer you keep the bat to your body :P wait for the ball to get closer to you and not rush into the ball or else it will either go into the net or shoot straight off

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2012, 23:50 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Both cpen and jpen seem to use short pimples on the forehand better than shakehand for whatever reason. I really dislike playing against penholders with short pips, I find it very difficult. Shakehand seems to have obvious advantages in forehand loop and the modern backhand punch/topspin is there even a name for the modern backhand? since the backhand loop became redundant

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2012, 04:38 

decoy wrote:
elganu wrote:

one tip with Traditional blocking the harder he hits the closer you keep the bat to your body :P wait for the ball to get closer to you and not rush into the ball or else it will either go into the net or shoot straight off

Thank you 'decoy' for the tip,but my problem with traditional cpen backhand is my dissability to fast enough tilt the bat's angle to the right position and to meet the ball while holding it stable and in the correct angle even if try to get the ball relatively late(closer to the body) i think it's just a matter of not enough training (and maybe wrong technique )

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2012, 02:19 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

another thing is fast recovery after each shot...also you will be able to make the angle once you recover right up to your body you will be able to get more angle as well.... also traditional block is always active its never a solid still block

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2012, 11:22 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku Flyatt Carbon Pro
FH: Tibhar Aurus TC-1
BH: 729 802 2.1mm
i started playing with SH..but i can't, my wrist just cannot accept it..PH is more natural with me..so i think the possible answer lays on our lower arm..the advantages of PH is it can serve better than SH, attack faster than SH, block accurately than SH..on the other hand fully utilization of FH/BH and chop from SH cannot be match by PH.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!