OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 07 May 2024, 21:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 14:58 

I've always found it more comfortable to do a penhold grip on a shakehand paddle. Its a combination of the narrower handle to head area and that the longer handle provides counter balance to the head. Am I alone in feeling this way?

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2013, 06:28 

do you mean more comfortable than Cpens? Because my Jpen is definitely way more comfortable than any SH blade.

it also has a narrow and long handle(just as long as shakehand) but its rectangular and made of cork

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2013, 15:31 

I've never tried using a JPen before, I've heard you can't use rpb on JPen paddles unless its designed for it.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2013, 23:39 
Super User

It's a good question. Is there really any difference, advantages/disadvantages, between using a Cpen or shakehand to play penhold.

Thankfully there's a thread on this forum where this has been discussed. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3094

Check it out. I think agooding2 nailed it in his post and gave me something to think about.

"This keeps the handle from catching in clothing or hitting you in the face."

If you like the skinnier handle, you can always cut down the length of your shakehand.

Also be sure to sand the edges, making them rounded, where your fingers wrap around. Will improve the comfort a great deal.

PostPosted: 20 May 2013, 19:55 

hi I have a pair of hands the size of a goalkeeper , hence , using the penhold grip on a handshake bat gives me better grip and control .
in the past I played with J-Pen , but found it not ideal to do rpb , hence , I switched to c-pen , but found handle too short , and often loose my grip while in motion , finally , found the handshake bats better and more comfortable !
I can also perform RPB with lots of ease , not only that , I am also a rare player with Mid-pips on F/H and anti-spin on B/H . Occasion uses Mid-Pips (563 1.2mm sponge on F/H and also 563-1 on B/H ) :clap:

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 02:33 
Horse Hockey!

I suppose anything goes if it works. How about a shakehand grip on a penhold paddle? :lol:

For some totally inexplicable reason I recently pulled a Yinhe W6 CPen out of my "collection drawer." I bought that blade when I was a total beginner and my coach was helping me decide whether to learn CPen or shakehand.

Now I have the opposite problem from yours...I have short stubby fingers! My grip has deteriorated and gotten very "loosey-goosey." Too much of this looseness in the wrist has led to extreme inconsistency. When I'm "on" it's great, but when off a bit I get killed.

So...I took the CPen blade and I'm using it shakehand. Due to the different shape and short handle I have to have a "deep" grip with my hand up really tight. I sanded down the area around the handle a bit and made a notch on one side so my hand just fits there perfectly now. It changes the whole center of gravity and feels so much different from what I've been using for a long time.