OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2008, 12:01 
Super User

The only major type of blade I have not tried so far are chinese penhold blades. But I found myself gravitating towards a more RPB style. I am currently using a Violin Jpen hybrid/twiddler. I can use it for RPB but the dimensions (cork front-end of the handle a bit too far into the blade so that my finger has to reach through a wider part of the neck) are so that I feel that I will have to sand the blade a lot more to get it really comfortable for RPB. I have already sanded the blade a lot on both sides, if I sand more then I will be cutting into the shape of the blade. So I thought before I mutilate my violin further maybe I should try a proper Chinese penhold blade that's supposedly more RPB compatible.

So any suggestions please? Btw, I really like the feel of the Violin, but I'm not prepared to spend that much again, so while the Violin CS would be a logical choice, I'd rather try a cheaper alternative for now. Is there a cheap chinese equivalent to the Violin CS? Or any other Cpen around the same speed and control and weight? The violin is supposedly OFF, and my Jpen twiddler weighs 71grams.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2008, 13:57 
Super User

If 50-60 USD is a good range, definitely go with Avalox. The BT555 and the like are some of the finest Cpens out there for a looping game, and they'd pair wonderfully with your usual rubbers. If that's still too much pricewise, you could look into Galaxy's stuff. The T-8 is good if you don't mind a dulled feeling from the Aralyte (it's fast, but has good touch and loops quite well- it'd be a good match for the 999 Elite rubbers). U-6 and U-8 are better for all wood (I think U-8 is better overall, but U-6 is a bit faster, these would probably be nice with the 999 Elite rubbers as well, but would perhaps be a bit too soft).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2008, 15:34 
I am Legend
I am Legend

I didn't really like the shape of the avalox cpens - they're by far the longest, handle is set back the furthest and most head heavy of the lot.

The stiga cpens are the best shape imo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2008, 17:42 
Super User

71gr is pretty hard to match. I don't think I know of any All-Wood OFF blade weighing around that. Maybe you could look into Yasaka Extra 3D (available in 78-80gr). It has pretty good speed (OFF-), dynamics and comfortable to play with.

Stiga's CPen handle is pretty comfortable, feels a bit boxy. However, for their price range, I'm not impressed with Stiga's quality in general. Also, I don't think Stiga's WRB is suitable for CPen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2008, 18:17 
I am Legend
I am Legend

The Donic WSC cpen I have has a fairly good shape. Not the best I've used though

Anyway I like the Stigas because the handle is set further into the blade - meaning that the balance is more neutral.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2008, 22:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The most popular blade for RPB is still the Yasaka Extra, and you can often get one in the 70-80 gram range. Very soft and springy and a long head which helps with the reverse shot. In the U.S. they are under $40.

The Avalox 550 is also a good choice. The Galaxy 2004 looks good and my U-2006 is only 78 grams, so the thinner and slower 2004 may be lighter.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2008, 01:22 
Cho Tokusen

If you are fussy about the weight like me, then it is hard to find suitable one for you. I have Violin twiddler 72 grams as well as Violin C-pen, but the latter weighs 77 grams. Perhaps you can follow the recommendation from Agooding2 since he said it is possible to get one at 70 grams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2008, 04:38 
Super User

Is the Yasaka Extra about the same as Primorac, speedwise?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2008, 04:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I'd say the two (Primorac and Yasaka Extra) are pretty similar.

Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2008, 20:20 
Super User

thanks for everyone's suggestions. i'll have to try holding the blades in person at a store to really judge the fit.

but the other option is probably to put a high throw rubber on the RPB side. Since RPB has a naturally closed racket angle, the high throw rubber compensates to help lift the ball up, so you don't need to dislocate a finger trying to open the angle so much. since i have a spare mark V rubber (of the right color too!) maybe i'll try that instead of the 999 Elite Ultima. I believe the Mark V has higher throw, is this correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2008, 19:04 
Super User

I checked out the yasaka ma lin blades. Carbon, soft carbon, and use extra offensive. Very hard to tell the speed and feel apart just from bouncing a ball. Also looked at a stiga oc cr. The stiga had a wider neck. The yasakas were really comfortable to hold. Makes me regret getting a jpen twiddler :) a little. i'm leaning more towards the yeo for now because it is the lightest at 80g. have not checked out any cheap chinese blades yet

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2008, 19:55 
Super User

addoydude wrote:
I checked out the yasaka ma lin blades. Carbon, soft carbon, and use extra offensive. Very hard to tell the speed and feel apart just from bouncing a ball. Also looked at a stiga oc cr. The stiga had a wider neck. The yasakas were really comfortable to hold. Makes me regret getting a jpen twiddler :) a little. i'm leaning more towards the yeo for now because it is the lightest at 80g. have not checked out any cheap chinese blades yet

YEO is a good one for all-wood, but pretty solid for a 5W blade. Pretty uniqe feel, with large sweetspot area. There're two layers of hard stripe-wood which I've not seen before, and generally all wood layers are fairly solid. I should mention mine weighs 86.5gr, so likely to feel more solid than an 80gr one.

MLC & MLSC are great CPen carbon blades with woodish feel. Bought the MLSC for a friend, and use the MLC myself. YEO might feel a bit thick if you're used to Violin, but I think MLC & MLSC would feel great for you. I'm pretty sure they're available in 80gr weight as well. Take extra care of these carbon blades though, as they're fragile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2008, 20:55 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Is a YEO a offensive 40? Or is it a different blade?

I was under the impression that most yasaka blades were quite flexy. I'm eyeing off a max wood though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2008, 21:10 
Super User

I guess there are rumours that YEO is the same as Offensive 40. Judging from Yasaka's speed rating of Offensive 40, I doubt it, since YEO feels close to but slower than MLC. YEO is also on the harder side, not that flexy and has very little vibration. I was looking for Max Wood before getting YEO, but the stores I usually go to didn't carry it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2008, 21:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Silver wrote:
Is a YEO a offensive 40? Or is it a different blade?

I was under the impression that most yasaka blades were quite flexy. I'm eyeing off a max wood though...

No, the Offensive 40 is a 7 ply and Extra is a 5 ply.

If you want something stiff, the 7 ply Max Wood is definitely that.

Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black