OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2014, 22:59 

On my jpen blades (eg. Nittaku Excellent-P), the cork handle has bits chip off it. This has happened a few times without me knowing when :-(
I sanded the corners off where it chipped but it happened again recently. This is annoying - any ideas?

I have an old Butterfly blade with a handle that is like a Senko-5. I really liked this handle which looks cool and is more durable than cork. So I could buy a new Senkoh-5 but on googling etc some say it is suited for pips rather than inverted rubber. I would be interested in any opinions on that too.

Thanks.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2014, 23:17 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku Flyatt Carbon Pro
FH: Tibhar Aurus TC-1
BH: 729 802 2.1mm
Buy a cork sheet and attach it on area that chip off with super glue and then sand it into original state.

Senkoh 5 and your excellent P are the same size (80x20)mm which is short and design for close to table offense..longer handle like my haruvatart and hasha deluxe (92x20)mm are suitable for mid and long distance.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2014, 00:14 

Poknas, thanks for the repair suggestion. I guess I could chop up the handle of an old broken blade to get some spare bits :-)

I try to stay up to the table as when I step back I can be out angled.
I do like the shorter handle as I don't think I need a big counter weight given that my set up is quite light.

I play single sided Jpen...
Blade: Nittaku Excellent-P 8.9mm 86g
Rubber: Tibhar 5Q Sound 1.9mm red.

On the forehand I try to loop/drive anything long enough. I may flick some short balls but have to push/chop many too.
With the traditional backhand, I struggle a bit but blocking is quite good. I am trying to develop some sidespin shots... block and push/chop. I can topspin a bit but low on power/spin.
My serves are good compared to my overall game.

So given the above would you (or anybody) think my equipment is OK? Is my rubber is too soft for a hinoki one-ply?
I wouldn't want a heavier setup nor anything lightening fast and I'm unsure about tacky rubbers as when the tack wears off, we are left with a different rubber.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2014, 12:52 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Xiom sells repair kits for penhold blades, e.g.

http://www.presports.com/miscellaneous/ ... grip.html#
http://www.presports.com/miscellaneous/ ... heet.html#

Anyone know what these are for? I suspect for rounding off corners on penhold blades...

http://www.presports.com/miscellaneous/ ... nder.html#

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2014, 15:51 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

Spartan62 wrote:
I have an old Butterfly blade with a handle that is like a Senko-5. I really liked this handle which looks cool and is more durable than cork. So I could buy a new Senkoh-5 but on googling etc some say it is suited for pips rather than inverted rubber. I would be interested in any opinions on that too.

Senkoh 5 was used by a number of top Korean SP players in the 38 mm ball era. It is a great blade for close to the table play. I don't see why you cannot put inverted on it if you like to play close to the table penhold.
If you look at a picture of this blade, you can see that the part of the handle where the index finger hooks on to is still finished in cork, not wood.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2014, 17:37 
Super User

Spartan62 wrote:
Poknas, thanks for the repair suggestion. I guess I could chop up the handle of an old broken blade to get some spare bits :-)

I try to stay up to the table as when I step back I can be out angled.
I do like the shorter handle as I don't think I need a big counter weight given that my set up is quite light.

I play single sided Jpen...
Blade: Nittaku Excellent-P 8.9mm 86g
Rubber: Tibhar 5Q Sound 1.9mm red.

On the forehand I try to loop/drive anything long enough. I may flick some short balls but have to push/chop many too.
With the traditional backhand, I struggle a bit but blocking is quite good. I am trying to develop some sidespin shots... block and push/chop. I can topspin a bit but low on power/spin.
My serves are good compared to my overall game.

So given the above would you (or anybody) think my equipment is OK? Is my rubber is too soft for a hinoki one-ply?
I wouldn't want a heavier setup nor anything lightening fast and I'm unsure about tacky rubbers as when the tack wears off, we are left with a different rubber.

imho..too soft sponge on 1 ply hinoki would feel too mushy, it may be spinny but the shot is inconsistent..

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2014, 23:05 

Shaolin... yes I know a bit of the Senkoh handle is still cork. It's the other end that gets chiped on my blades.

Iskander... I've seen those repair kits and new handles before but how the fook do you get the old handle off... glued on real strong!

Poknas... any rubber suggestions? I've never used Tenergy :-) I don't want to go too fast.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2014, 17:49 
Super User

Spartan62 wrote:
Shaolin... yes I know a bit of the Senkoh handle is still cork. It's the other end that gets chiped on my blades.

Iskander... I've seen those repair kits and new handles before but how the fook do you get the old handle off... glued on real strong!

Poknas... any rubber suggestions? I've never used Tenergy :-) I don't want to go too fast.

If you're happy with Tibhar 5q, why not try the 5Qsoft or regular version, if you want cheaper option, Tibhar Aurus is a decent rubber for any blade..but personally i prefer japanese rubber for my 1 ply jpen.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!