OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Jpen dismantle handl
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2014, 22:05 

How could the cork handle be taken off on a Jpen blade and put on another without causing damage?

Post subject: Re: Jpen dismantle handl
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2014, 11:02 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku Flyatt Carbon Pro
FH: Tibhar Aurus TC-1
BH: 729 802 2.1mm
Use a cutting knife..i often do it on the back cork.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2014, 03:00 
Super User

I put in a question about this a months back. we need a youtube big time to teach use how to take off, glue and shape a new handle

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2014, 21:59 

I think I can make this video. Maybe after mid term test I'll find some cheap or used blade to be the experimental subject. It might be a strange method, but it works like charm :D

I've tried it once on my Y-4 blade, and make a hollow hole in the handle part (I'm a big fan of hollow handles LoL)

Hurricane 3 Neo

Still looking for some short pips with the softest sponge available, preferably something with a LOUD speed-glue-effect sound

Whack and Loop for eternity

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2014, 23:40 
Super User

You're the man! Could you include the type of glue and where you get your cork replacements

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2014, 22:47 

I am terribly sorry. I still have no time to make any video, and I haven't found any Jpen blade (actually I've done it only on a shakehand blade) to be the operation subject :'( to redeem my sins, I'll try to make it simple. The main objective is to soften up the glue layer, and slip something thin to perfectly detach the handle from the blade

Things we need :
1. Hairdryer, or heat gun. I believe it is faster if you use heat gun.
2. Razor knife. Doesn't need to be sharp though.
3. Veneer glue to re-attach the handle, such as elmer's etc. I don't have any access to that glue, so I use polivinyl carbonate glue which can be found easier in any construction store here.

Things to do :
1. heat the handle area with hairdryer/heat gun to soften up the glue. Heat it up from the upper side of the handle more than the side, or you might soften glue layers in the blade ply.
2. Look for any small crevaces, openings, etc (or should we say 'cleavege' to make it sounds more fun LoL) between the handle and blade area. If nothing shows up, keep heating it.
3. Once you found any 'cleavage', slip the razor knife in it, try to slip it up and downward softly. It it won't budge/move, keep heating it up again, and keep trying to slip it.

And voila, you'll have your handle detached perfectly without any damage :D

Hmmmm.....to replace the cork, I think you should try to look for any corkwood.

Hope this can help, and mostly, I'm hoping I can have more spare time to make the video :'(

Hurricane 3 Neo

Still looking for some short pips with the softest sponge available, preferably something with a LOUD speed-glue-effect sound

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2014, 14:36 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

If it's the white carpenter's glue (it's also sold as glue for paper and styrofoam in bookstores and craft shops) then it's actually Polyvinyl Acetate (PVA). Lots of brand names - Elmer's Glue-all, UHU Coll, etc. The yellow wood glues (e.g. Titebond) are PVA with fillers. PVA melts at high temperature, which means it can be detached and reattached. It also means you shouldn't use it to attach model rocket fins. One neat trick, if you're applying veneer strip to wood when making furniture is to put PVA on both sides, allow it to dry, then use a hot clothes iron to attach the veneer.

By the way, I think most table tennis blades are made using some sort of hot melt adhesive, applied to the wood using a mechanical roller. The blade is then laminated together in a heated press. See the Butterfly how-its-made video on YouTube and the Yinhe web site's forum. Not sure what they use to stick on Japanese Penhold handles but whatever it is it seems it's heat sensitive, too.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2014, 06:00 

iskandar taib wrote:
If it's the white carpenter's glue (it's also sold as glue for paper and styrofoam in bookstores and craft shops) then it's actually Polyvinyl Acetate (PVA). Lots of brand names - Elmer's Glue-all, UHU Coll, etc. The yellow wood glues (e.g. Titebond) are PVA with fillers. PVA melts at high temperature, which means it can be detached and reattached. It also means you shouldn't use it to attach model rocket fins. One neat trick, if you're applying veneer strip to wood when making furniture is to put PVA on both sides, allow it to dry, then use a hot clothes iron to attach the veneer.

By the way, I think most table tennis blades are made using some sort of hot melt adhesive, applied to the wood using a mechanical roller. The blade is then laminated together in a heated press. See the Butterfly how-its-made video on YouTube and the Yinhe web site's forum. Not sure what they use to stick on Japanese Penhold handles but whatever it is it seems it's heat sensitive, too.

Iskandar

Yep. And somehow the adhesive used to attach topsheet to sponge behaves similarly. I wonder if I can make the pva glue thinner....

Hurricane 3 Neo

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2014, 14:00 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

To thin PVA glue, just add water and stir!

Iskandar