OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2015, 12:14 

I’d like to hear from penholders who’ve played (or tried playing) both traditional penhold backhand and reverse penhold backhand at the SAME TIME.

I’m ready to try using both in my game, but a couple of coaches have said it’s better to choose one and stick with it. On the other hand, I've seen a few forum posts where players say it's great if you can get comfortable using both, and instinct will gradually overcome the indecision which can happen. So, I’m wondering if I should even bother going down this road.

After only a couple months of serious playing I starting using PH because I found my RPB was much stronger than my shakehand backhand. After nearly 2 months I barely tried the TPB. The little TPB I did in practice was very difficult. I never committed to trying the TPB during play. I thought I could do fine using only the RPB, but I’ve now found it’s easier said than done. It’s more difficult than I thought using it as my only BH shot in fast rallies at the table. Among other issues, I’m getting caught at my switchover point more often than I like. Also, I find it tricky to use effectively when I have to suddenly play defense. Perhaps just standing a couple more feet back would make a big difference?

So now I’ve been working hard on my TPB and I’m ready to try both during play. My thinking is I’ll use the RPB only for certain shots – early in the point on opening loops, or if I get slower paced opportunity balls at the table, or if I’m pushed off the table on my BH. My thinking is I’ll be in TPB mode at nearly all other times, especially when I think my opponent is about make a strong attacking shot.

Anyone have experience with this?

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2015, 14:10 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

I would say stick to the BH you find comfortable with, then you don't have to "decide" which BH to hit the ball with. You may not have the time to think and decide.
For me, I use TBH the majority of time and only use RPB occasionally.
Try to dominate the game with your FH though. Penholders' FH can cover some awkward angles and positions. Look at Xu Xin and Ma Lin.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2015, 10:32 
Super User

Speaking of Xu Xin, I saw him use a fast traditional penholder backhand block in one match situation and he did it very perfectly. Wonder how often he uses that shot in a match. Very rarely I would guess. But maybe he puts in a few drills on that technique or else maybe he did it a lot as a young kid.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2015, 16:39 

I tend to use both.

I will use RPB unless I am caught off guard and need to perform a quick block sort of like you mentioned.

You would think it's difficult to decide, but with a good foundation in both techniques, I automatically will just TPB block when put in a bind. I will sometimes continue the traditional block if I really need to control the ball and place it well to get back into the rally.

Just keep trying and see how you handle using these techniques together. You will find plenty of success as well as things to work on or eliminate i'm sure.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2015, 04:22 
Super User

Traditional penhold player had a hard time incorporating an rpb into their game. ie Ma Lin who had a killer traditional block all his career. At one time I was reviewing his play and he seemed to lose points when he used his rpb. I also feel that when using the rpb exclusively one loses what I feel is a superior blocking hand position.

So as an older player I use the traditional blocking and side block backing which I've been for decades and rpb when I'm driving the ball need extra topspin, over the table banana flick. But I reflexively revert to the traditional blocking when in trouble.

from reading posts I think I'm about the same as everybody else.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2015, 13:46 

Thanks all for this useful advice. Having used RPB exclusively for nearly 2 months, I already see it will be hard to shift gears and start using the TPB most of the time. However, I think just the switch over problem alone makes it worth while for me to try that approach. Hopefully, before too long I'll be using the TPB reflexively for most situations. Then I'll try to incorporate the RPB for selective situations when I have a bit more time to react, such as BH opening loops, slower opportunity balls left sitting up over the table, or if I find myself in a BH loop exchange further off the table.

Another thought I had is to try training myself to react based on whether I think my opponent is likely to play a BH or FH. If I think a BH is likely (or if my opponent looks "locked in" to a BH exchange) it makes more sense to keep the RPB in the ready position. If I think a FH is likely, the TPB ready position would be better. The problem of course is having to decide at all, and do it very quickly. I hope perhaps concentrating very hard on the face of my opponent's blade will help. Of course, recognition of where on the baseline they're standing will be important, but I'll have to watch out for quick step-arounds to FHs. Again, when in doubt, I'll need to train myself to stay with the TPB. I'm sure this will be easier said than done, but perhaps I can find some success with this approach at my club level.