OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2015, 02:49 
Super User

I've been putting small, amount of lead tape on the tip of my handles to counter weight my blades especially since I've been using thicker rubber on both sides, but I don't seen any pros needing this. without it I've developed some thumb tendonitis and tend to tighten up grip too much . since penholder are stabilizing their blades with essentially two fingers and two finger tips as compared to shake handers that can close 3 finger around a long blade handle I think that the weight and balance of a blade would be more important to we penholders. wondering if anybody has the same dilemma. doc

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2015, 13:26 

When you hold the paddle, does your thumb touch your index finger like Wang Hao (hook grip)? Or your grip more like He Zhiwen grip (pincer grip)?

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2015, 13:40 

You could try covering less of your blade with rubber. Beyond that, I don't know. A bionic arm maybe? Pain killers? The reason why you "don't see(n) any pros needing this" Is in all likelihood because most top players are sponsored and probably have their bats custom made. That's what I would do, if I was in your position, or just change my blade.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2015, 14:43 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I don't know if a lighter bat would actually help much, as the problem is with gripping the bat too hard. Perhaps some foam or spongy material glued into the wood (where your fingers rest) might help?
Otherwise you might need to consider a Jpen or shakehand bat :( :( :(

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2015, 15:18 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

I would not add extra weight to the blade. Try a lighter blade and choose lighter rubbers. Some rubbers are quite heavy.
You may be gripping too tightly because the set up is heavy.
Also, do you type on your cell phone with your thumb? I traced the pain from my thumb was actually caused by reaching to type with my thumb on my cell phone.
Grip is important too.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2015, 16:39 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
shaolinTT wrote:
Also, do you type on your cell phone with your thumb? I traced the pain from my thumb was actually caused by reaching to type with my thumb on my cell phone.

I never thought of that! :up:

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2015, 01:30 
Super User

thank you to you all. I changed my grip to a long index finger technique stopped flicking my wrist so much on my rpb and too a cm or so of rubber on each side (I'll need to take that into account for next rubber change because of the name rule) and lightened up my blade a lot. I also went down to less than max on my newer blade (stiga emerald and 145 carbonado) on the rubber which helped a lot. took a little getting used too, though, seemed to play a little slower. but kept the little bit lead tape on the butt of the blade. Maybe it helps or could be in my head. your suggestions really helped.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2015, 10:37 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
I add the weight, but add it low, in the handle. I fill in all the hollow part of the blade (majority of blades have hallow throat, almost ALL blades have hollow handle pieces). This stabilizes the blade, makes impact feel better, and the extra weight low is like a counter weight that makes the blade easier to accelerate.

Many of my setups are minimum 200 grams, that weight isn't heavy, but some 180 gram setups I have seen feel way heavier. ('cause it is too top heavy)

If you are Chinese Penhold, you add less weight low. Instead of adding in nails and glue for the weight to completely fill in empty space, try glue and toothpicks, it will add less weight and still strengthen your mod to be solid.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter