OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:32

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2016, 08:38 
Super User

Blade: Hallmark Aurora
FH: Haifu Dolphin
BH: Pogo
I know this is going to be hard to describe but I will try anyway. Talking about penhold, for my side/top spin serve (the easiest for me) I toss the ball and try to make contact on the back of the ball. My bat will start at 45 degree angle and end up facing my opponent. I move my wrist the full range of motion while my arm moves sideway. It almost doesn't seem to matter where exactly I contact the ball, on bottom for instance, since my full wrist movement usually imparts top spin. Here lies the rubs.

Moving to underspin with the same motion and angle has been hard. I believe I can do this by putting the brakes on my wrist movement halfway through and contacting the ball on the bottom. This hides my serve very well. In both these serves, my bat face is facing my opponent. I can always get a good side/top doing this, but by underspin is not consistent sometimes its top when I thought I served under.

Now I serve a safe underspin, I come at the ball from behind with no side spin and my bat face up. This works well but the stroke is completely different from my top and it's a big giveaway. This is frustrating because I've seen other penholders do what I want to do, that is, maintain same bat angle and same stroke with the only difference being wrist movement for top and under.

Thought?

Post subject: Re: Hiding Serves
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2016, 15:36 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I am trying to picture what you are doing, and I think for the topspin you are bringing/grazing the bat from below the ball to above it starting at 45 degrees (top bat edge pointed to ceiling behind you) and finishing at 90 degrees (top bat edge pointed to ceiling above you). Is this correct?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2016, 20:05 
Super User

Blade: Hallmark Aurora
FH: Haifu Dolphin
BH: Pogo
Yes exactly.

On a good day, I'm getting a strong 'kick' on opponent's side for top. I think some less experienced players don't realize it's top spin at first because of the motion. I was told by other penholders that my top spin serve is a good penhold technique. For underspin, they tell me I just need to not complete the motion ('stop'), that it, flick my wrist half way.

Maybe my problem is the contact point? I'm not sure where and how to contact the ball since I'm coming in sideways. I've been only playing a year so I don't fully understand the mechanics. When I was shown this serve by advanced players, they could definitely do it. But I don't really get it - sometimes I want to serve under and it ends up being top. :headbang:

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 06:19 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
The title of your thread is misleading, not to mention controversial. It may better be titled "Disguising Serves". IMHO, YMMV etc.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2016, 23:40 

I'm not sure what you are describing here but I'll try to explain the way I find easiest to get a side top or a side bottom pendulum serve with a similar action :D this applies to a right hander.

Standing side-on to the table, means the racket can be hidden a bit before it strikes the ball. This isn't a illegal serve because at contact point everything is in view.

1) With the Penhold blade held so that the handle is vertical and behind to the right, it is moved rapidly to the left/front to contact the ball.
2) at contact point the blade is rotated with the forearm and wrist so that the handle is now horizontal

OK forget messy descriptions... lets have a video

like this :clap:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_po ... hina-coach