OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2016, 12:45 

Is it possible to play competitively without rpb?

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2016, 14:36 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Certainly is possible. I have a friend who would be equivalent to about 2350US who plays that way. I have other friends who play to a slightly lesser standard that way too. It all comes down to what you can make work for you and how well practiced you are at it.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2016, 20:03 

Yes of course look up He Zhi Wen a penholder with TBH top 100 in the world and even more I think his 53/54 years old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2016, 21:53 
Super User

Sorry, I need to edit my info.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2016, 01:54 

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Certainly is possible. I have a friend who would be equivalent to about 2350US who plays that way. I have other friends who play to a slightly lesser standard that way too. It all comes down to what you can make work for you and how well practiced you are at it.

Is it more effective to use a chinese or japanese/korean penhold when using tpb?

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2016, 11:50 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

Bobobo wrote:
Is it more effective to use a chinese or japanese/korean penhold when using tpb?

You can start an argument with this question here. :lol:

If the technique is mastered, both CPen and J/KPen TPB can be effective and beautiful. Take a look at this thread and then look at videos of players mentioned here:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=24546

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2016, 10:40 
Super User

Of course. In the latter years of ma Lin career he would go whole matches and not hit his rpb. We would joke if he hit it he would usually lose the point.

Watch an older Ma Lin beat a young ovcharov in2013

http://youtu.be/QfCDtQel9pc

No rpb. But he had the best forehand in the world. Killer backhand chop. And footwork.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2016, 13:12 

TableTennisDoc wrote:
Of course. In the latter years of ma Lin career he would go whole matches and not hit his rpb. We would joke if he hit it he would usually lose the point.

Watch an older Ma Lin beat a young ovcharov in2013

http://youtu.be/QfCDtQel9pc

No rpb. But he had the best forehand in the world. Killer backhand chop. And footwork.

Is it possible to flick with rubber on one side?

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2016, 04:11 

shaolinTT wrote:
Bobobo wrote:

You can start an argument with this question here. :lol:

If the technique is mastered, both CPen and J/KPen TPB can be effective and beautiful. Take a look at this thread and then look at videos of players mentioned here:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=24546

Is there a big difference in the way a 1 ply and multiple ply with carbon (both cpen and j/kpen) play?

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2016, 07:28 
Super User

You don't need a flick. Push the ball back until you get a forehand to dominate the point.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2016, 07:37 
Super User

I have both. In jpen the holy grail is hinoki wood. Hard to get. Very expensive. But really cool. Power and control. I have a yasaka and xiom katana. Not made anymore. Multi ply more power decrease control. Especially when you add carbon plys. I was a plain wood multi ply with my stiga rosewood. But the emerald and carbonado has controllable power. Look up what rhy played with if you j pen. All the pro I follow now are carbon muliply players.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2016, 10:56 

TableTennisDoc wrote:
I have both. In jpen the holy grail is hinoki wood. Hard to get. Very expensive. But really cool. Power and control. I have a yasaka and xiom katana. Not made anymore. Multi ply more power decrease control. Especially when you add carbon plys. I was a plain wood multi ply with my stiga rosewood. But the emerald and carbonado has controllable power. Look up what rhy played with if you j pen. All the pro I follow now are carbon muliply players.

I thought that carbon inceased the sweet spot, doesnt that increase control? Is the fact that 1 ply blades have more control and that multi ply blades have more power true for both cpen and j/kpen or just j/kpen? Are 1 ply blades as durable as multi ply blades?

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2016, 21:11 
Super User

The carbon can increase the sweet spot. Rather the miss hits don't lose as much power. My single plys are lighter too but thicker. Rubber on one side. Btw the katana is still made

http://www.tabletennisstore.us/p-2433-x ... blade.aspx