OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 13:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Long pips on backhand?
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2016, 11:15 

Is it a good idea to use long pips on the backhand side? Does the spin reversal depend on the stroke you use, the incoming spin, or both?

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2016, 18:19 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Bobobo wrote:
Is it a good idea to use long pips on the backhand side? Does the spin reversal depend on the stroke you use, the incoming spin, or both?

I suggest you start with Greg Letts website and read his very excellent description on how long pips works (that's where I started some 8 years ago :) ).
http://www.gregsttpages.com/articles3/5 ... -beginners

Also look at this series of articles on the same subject on that page:
http://www.gregsttpages.com/articles3/5 ... ng-pimples

Then you can narrow down your questions a little and it will be easier for others to help you.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2016, 00:19 

Def-attack wrote:
Bobobo wrote:

I suggest you start with Greg Letts website and read his very excellent description on how long pips works (that's where I started some 8 years ago :) ).

Then you can narrow down your questions a little and it will be easier for others to help you.

Based on the article, i want to use an attacking long pips style, but im assuming that the long pips are on the forehand side? I wanted to produce backspin by looping against topspin and occassionally chopping (which i heard was harder to do with a penhold grip).

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2016, 02:43 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

I have seen players with LP on the backhand.

-Traditional penhold players used to hitting with one side of the bat only (BH is traditional backhand). If they are caught out of position, they use the LP on the other side of the bat. A lot of times, this can surprise the opponent.

-Twiddlers.

-Chopping with LP backhand, but this is an awkward stroke.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2016, 03:00 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Bobobo wrote:
Def-attack wrote:
Bobobo wrote:

Based on the article, i want to use an attacking long pips style, but im assuming that the long pips are on the forehand side? I wanted to produce backspin by looping against topspin and occassionally chopping (which i heard was harder to do with a penhold grip).

There are some who uses lp on FH side but rarely for pure attacking,ä. Most players who uses lp has it on BH side. Few lp rubbers will hold up for attacking game (pips fall off). good lp for attacking is Prashida Long A and Friendship 755 and perhaps KTL Stranger attack. And some more. If you wants to attack and still have LP effect but better attacking ability I think something like Spinlor Keiler would suit you. It is a mp rubber, look for review and videos in mp section.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2016, 03:34 

Def-attack wrote:
There are some who uses lp on FH side but rarely for pure attacking,ä. Most players who uses lp has it on BH side. Few lp rubbers will hold up for attacking game (pips fall off). good lp for attacking is Prashida Long A and Friendship 755 and perhaps KTL Stranger attack. And some more. If you wants to attack and still have LP effect but better attacking ability I think something like Spinlor Keiler would suit you. It is a mp rubber, look for review and videos in mp section.
Can you consistently rally topspin to topspin using rpb with long pips? What do you look for in attacking long pips?

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2016, 21:18 

Blade: loukov blade
FH: rakza 7 2 mm
BH: nittaku pimple mini 1 mm
I used to play long pips with shakehand grip for more than 20 years, before switching to penhold 2 years ago.

Of course I have tried to play long pips RPB ... It's very difficult, penhold grip isn't done for !

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2016, 01:59 
Super User

Blade: Hallmark Aurora
FH: Haifu Dolphin
BH: Pogo
I tried it before switching to shake hand. It was too difficult and your strokes were limited, i.e., no consistent push for instance. LPs on PH backhand requires super twiddling skills.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2016, 05:52 

Blade: loukov blade
FH: rakza 7 2 mm
BH: nittaku pimple mini 1 mm
the only way of playing long pimples as penhold player is - I mean - to play 1 side et turn your racket - one side backside - one side long pimples

there are japanese players playing so, I have seen it , and a woman playing for luxembourg at Rio 2016, playing anti-spin or backside on side

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2016, 06:45 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
My team mate uses LP on his FH to attack. He plays penhold, and uses inverted RPB too. He uses 755, on my recommendation, and has found it to work well.

He's from China, and his style is based on that of one of the top female Chinese players at ~2nd/3rd tier (ie not quite international level).