OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2016, 13:42 

First, I am a 1 year newbie playing (shakehand) only in interoffice and friendly competitions. I have a decent BH loop and a less than decent FH loop (chinese style). One day, while in a game, i tried to do penhold (for laughs because it looked awkward,or so I thought). Yes, you guessed it right. Suddenly my loops were spinnier, faster and 100% table bound than before! And it seemed I got this natural RPB! Without remorse, I cut off 1 inch from my beloved aDidas Hypertouch's handle and half off of the ITTF logo in my h3neo(for the needed FH rubber gap) and now I'm officially a penholder.

And this was just 4 days ago!

Sorry for the long story (that have been told before I'm sure) but I for one is happy that just a simple shift in how to hold our beloved blades can mean a LOT in our game. Awesome for what it did to my game! Now off to read all threads in the penholders subforum!

Thanks for reading,

Jordan

DHS 301
Adidas Hypertouch
Reactor CA-1

All decked with DHS H3Neo
and Yinhe Moon! I'm cured from low-level EJ'ying!

On to the next TT journey!

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2016, 19:31 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Good for you! I'm sure in not too distant future you'll get yourself a proper penhold blade... :D

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2016, 20:07 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
Wow! Thats really cool. I myself like oenfold forehands, I can do forehands much better with penhold. The reason im a shakehander though is because i SUCK at backhand (traditional and rpb), and i feel much better playing as a self learning defender, and i do forehands good enough with shakehand. Anyways, im sure you will get better and better :3 :clap:

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2016, 20:39 

Danthespearton wrote:
Wow! Thats really cool. I myself like oenfold forehands, I can do forehands much better with penhold. The reason im a shakehander though is because i SUCK at backhand (traditional and rpb), and i feel much better playing as a self learning defender, and i do forehands good enough with shakehand. Anyways, im sure you will get better and better :3 :clap:

I guess the fact that in penhold, a mere change of pressure on the blade with the thumb or forefinger can change racket angle. It is more covenient and easier than twisting the wrist in shakehand hold. I just had a game with someone that I always beat before usually in decisions,but now 2 race to 7 games had me winning 7-2 and 7-4. Maybe I was just lucky but I'm happy!

rokphish2 wrote:
Good for you! I'm sure in not too distant future you'll get yourself a proper penhold blade... :D

Before the year ends haha. It's hard to find light penhold blades here. The ones I'm eyeing are more that 85g. Meanwhile the shakehand avalox BT777 @ 89g will turn to a just right 80g(my estimate) after ''operation''.
What is the advantage of a real penhold blade?

DHS 301
Adidas Hypertouch
Reactor CA-1

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2016, 20:52 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Where is here?

You probably could order online and request the weight.

Proper penhold blades probably would have better balance than frankenpenhold blade as they usually have different shape/dimension head (to compensate for the shorter habdle) compared to the shakehand blades.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2016, 21:11 

Here, is the Philippines. What clipper type chinese blade can you suggest? I'd like a bit hard feeling wooden blade this time,.

DHS 301
Adidas Hypertouch
Reactor CA-1

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2016, 07:08 

Blade: Darker Speed90 CP
FH: Prov H3
BH: Andro Beat
Same story here. Used to be a SH player with terrible BH. Changed to CPen and my FH becomes explosive. My service return has become more flexible. I have spent a lot of time on training my RPB which has become comparable to SH, even with a heavy single ply hinoki.
I have tried a lot of wooden blades. I would suggest Stiga Rosewood (7-ply), Stiga Intensity NCT, DHS Hao2, or nittaku septear. Try Rosewood and Intensity first as they are a bit harder and good for the new plastic ball

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2016, 07:16 

I own the Intensity NCT (Xu Xin's current blade) it's pretty light but hard. Good for looping.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2016, 09:17 

Thank you for the blade suggestion. Those are readily available locally but unfortunately, not in the weight range that I'm comfortable with. Ordering online here is risky and expensive. Haven't tried ordering from China, though: inexpensive and free ordinary mail shipping. Might be worth a try. Any suggestion on a clipper like Chinese blade?

RPB with sidespin is wicked! My weakness now is repeated returns to my backhand; my ball returns are weak on the third or so. Solution is to be able to shift to FH fast on the 2nd or 3rd ball return so I can loop or drive.

DHS 301
Adidas Hypertouch
Reactor CA-1

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2016, 11:30 

Try Rutis by Nittaku. I think it's just under 80g. But you would lose the benefits of a wooden blade. I'm a big fan of wooden blade esp hinoki because I am a looper. My blade weighs >90g. But if you are a hitter you can go for carbon.

You can easily lose 5g of weight by moving your BH rubber upward, I.e. BH rubber is not right on the edge of the handle. Sanding down the blade would help a bit.

I live in NZ options are far less than where you are. You will need a strong wrist for penhold anyway therefore weight would not be an issue in the long run when you get stronger.

All the best for your penhold journey. It's tough but fun

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2016, 12:39 

I guess I'm more of a looper. The Septear looks promising. If I can find a light one..if not I'll go for the Avalox BT777. It is sooo cheap and have yet to read anything wrong with it.

Thank you for the encouragement. Even us weekend and casual warriors could use some "improvement" to motivate us in our sport. It is as much as a reason to keep fit as it is for the satisfaction we get from beating younger and faster players.

DHS 301
Adidas Hypertouch
Reactor CA-1

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2016, 13:53 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

j2sip wrote:
It's hard to find light penhold blades here. The ones I'm eyeing are more that 85g. Meanwhile the shakehand avalox BT777 @ 89g will turn to a just right 80g(my estimate) after ''operation''.

:lol:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shi ... 03493.html

USD11 including shipping, 80 grams (or you can message them and ask them for a specific weight, they'll send it to you if it's in stock - I always ask them for the lightest blade in stock). Make sure you SPECIFY THAT YOU WANT A PENHOLD BLADE, otherwise you know what you'll receive!

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2016, 14:48 

Fortunately the N-11 is available locally. It is only 550pesos compared to 2,800pesos for a clipper!! It really is almost laughable haha. I gotta try this. Thank you for the suggestion.

DHS 301
Adidas Hypertouch
Reactor CA-1

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2016, 21:15 

Blade: loukov blade
FH: rakza 7 2 mm
BH: nittaku pimple mini 1 mm
galaxy T11+ penhold handle is a really good blade, I used to play it for 2 years. Now, It switched to nearly J-pen style, a mix chinese and japanese, I made it myself

Penhold style was a revelation for me too, 3 years ago, despite I was 54 and after more than 20 years as shakehand players. Backhand was very very difficult for me ... Now It works better and my level is the same as shakehand (about number 3 in my age category in my department, about 1000 players)

I got passionate about penhold and I would like to encourage you J2sip as you are young you will be improving a lot !

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2016, 21:23 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

j2sip wrote:
Fortunately the N-11 is available locally. It is only 550pesos compared to 2,800pesos for a clipper!! It really is almost laughable haha. I gotta try this. Thank you for the suggestion.

But is the penhold version available? Penhold blades are usually NOT the same as shakehand blades with the handles cut back - the blade shape may be the same, but the handle is a different shape and where the handle meets the neck of the blade isn't in the same place. The blade's also relieved where the index finger and thumb go.

For what it's worth I've tried the Clipper (actually, HRT's version, which some people say is better than the original Stiga) and I prefer the N11. Better weight, nice control, very crisp flat hit and feels good for looping. AND the face plies are lauan/meranti rather than some African or Chinese wood, if you're feeling patriotic! :lol:

Iskandar