OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:57

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Ghost serve
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2016, 07:58 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
111Iceman111 wrote:
tnx for that video nl, very informative... :up:

Happy you like it as someone with your experience and high level.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2016, 08:59 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
oh, dont make me blush :oops:

since i am self-taught like most of us on this forum, i have always struggled with short underspin serve...my wrist is simply to stiff to perform it well...

but you and brett really showed that it can be done if you know exactly what movement you are aiming to achieve... :up:

i will practice and one day post a video like yours i hope :rock:

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2016, 23:35 

Blade: Yasaka MaLin Carb
FH: Hurrican 3 Neo
BH: Donic F1
I also want to master this, but with no succuss so far. I think for the short term, if you can ensure your server bounce at least twice on the other side and if you can manage to serve spin and no spin in very similar way, it is enough for the game.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2016, 12:15 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

GMan4911 wrote:
Here is an example of a great ghost serve. The ball is close to the net and stops moving forward after the first bounce. Most people, even pros, would have trouble returning it. And the last one is just not returnable at all. :lol:

I dunno. He manages to get it to go backwards partly by making it bounce quite high. A good player should be able to attack most of those serves at the very top of the bounce, they're quite high above the net and very close to it, not to mention the serve's quite slow, giving them time to get to the ball.

kim biceps wrote:
In matches i only use underspin on surprise basis rather than main weapon, i try to rely more on where i want the ball to land next hence more utilisation of sidespin.

Backspin serves seem bread-and-butter at my level (everyone tends to use them because topspin serves are easily attacked while backspin serves have to be pushed or chopped back, since few people at this level of play can reliably loop against backspin). Usually the backspin is combined with sidespin (pendulum serves), the more crafty among us can disguise topspin to look like backspin - which is fun, because the return comes sailing back over the edge of the table. What most people at this level of play can't do is serve SHORT backspin - most serves are long so I try to loop them when I can. On a good day I can do it about 80% of the time, on a bad day I have to just push them back.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2016, 21:53 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
for my game, most effective serve is hard, low, fast underspin (with or without sidespin) one that has a 2nd drop on the edge or just a bit out of the edge of the table...

that kind of serve can not be flicked like the slow short underspin serve, but need to be pushed or slowly looped and then you have an easier 3rd ball attack opportunity...

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.