OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 00:07 

As per the title...
recently I was forced out very wide on my forehand, I hit a good loop but the ball came back high on the other side.
I couldn't get back to kill that ball with the forehand so I ended up taking a big swipe at it with a TBH stroke (I play single sided). According to my laughing opponent, the gust of wind from my bat blew the ball off course and so I missed it completely :lol:

From high on the backhand wing, it seems impossible to close the blade (much beyond vertical). So when the bat is moved fast, it encounters maximal air resistance. Even if I'd hit the ball, it probably would've gone long.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 00:21 
Super User

I have a fair amount of experience at this as I'm a TBH player both with my Jpen & cpens.

The high backhand agressive shot or smash. I can tell you this right now, you will never (and shouldn't) get good at this shot. It's just not a high percentage shot. Even shakhanders I would think would not be too eager to take this shot. If they had their way about it, they'd run around it and put it away with their forehand.

Your problem is not being unable to hit this shot. Your problem is taking that shot with your backhand. You play penhold. The basis of this grip is to move back around that and keep attacking with your big forehand.

Nonetheless, what can you do? We all can't move like Ryu Seung Min in his prime right? I see you have a couple of options.

1) Have to play that shot passively. Let that ball drop a little and put it back in play. See if the next ball is one you can attack.

- If the ball is really going to bounce high enough, you should have time to get around it. If you don't, play it safe.

2) What to do before that point (take a righty vs righty) I'm assuming that's the case here even though I'm a lefty).... I love it when people test me to my wide forehand. There's something about that shot that comes naturally to me that makes for an easy big top/side spin cross-court winner. If you don't want them to play a solid high shot to your backahand, make the angle hard for them. When you hit that forehand before, hit that thing extremely cross-court. If they are able to get that ball back, they won't have the angle to go to your wide backhand. Rather, the ball will be coming back towards the middle of the table. This will help give you some time & space to run around that thing. I hope that makes sense.

- Basically if you get pushed out to your wide forehand, try to make sure that ball you hit is a winner because if it's not and you can't run around the next ball, you'll have to play it passively.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 01:12 

Yes that does make good sense - thanks.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 11:33 
Super User

As a jpen (or a classical cpen player for that matter) Hopefully you don't have to hit Too many backhands in the first place. Rhy seung min and Ma Lin (Who didn't hit a lot of rpb's) Rely mostly on their Excellent footwork And hit mostly Blocking backhands so they could run around their backhands and dominate the point and opponents with their forehands.

http://youtu.be/Wdp0A-1oBGg

I found this if you wish to hit an aggressive j pen backhand. But hitting an aggressive high backhand is tough with any grip let alone penhold. I mean even Wang Hao and Xu Xim don't seem to attack a high backhand ball.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 20:57 
Super User

http://youtu.be/Cbazv6JpXic

Found this jpen instruction link. For your bsckhand Maybe somebody can translate.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2014, 23:55 

I woud like a translaion of that last one!

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2014, 04:30 
Super User

Spartan62 wrote:
I woud like a translaion of that last one!

I saw the video. You can see how he does it.

Telling you you're wasting your time. Look at the Ryu video in how he hits his backhand. How low he lets it drop before hitting it.

If it's very high, run around it and smash with with the forehand. If it's high and for some bizzare reason you can't run around it and you must attack it with your backhand, I'd recommend letting the ball drop a little into a more normal hitting area for the backhand.

But nobody practices or wants to get good at high backhand smashes.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2014, 10:26 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku Flyatt Carbon Pro
FH: Tibhar Aurus TC-1
BH: 729 802 2.1mm
attaching 729 dr evil(ox) on your bh is another alternatives..punch thru spin..in my Jpen days, i like it more than long pimple ox.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2014, 03:40 
Super User

I agree, let the ball drop. If I have to attack high backhand I'm really out of position and something has gone wrong in the point. Even in the 2nd vid I sent the ball is only at elbow level that he is hitting.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 09:43 

&
instructions by ryu seung min , hope it helps

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2020, 01:18 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

It's amazing how much power he can get into it and how easy he makes it look. And then you think about doing the same and all of a sudden it seems terribly painful.. :lol:

I love how the tip of the blade is pointing UP.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 08 May 2020, 21:12 

iskandar taib wrote:
It's amazing how much power he can get into it and how easy he makes it look. And then you think about doing the same and all of a sudden it seems terribly painful.. :lol:

I love how the tip of the blade is pointing UP.

Iskandar

he gets more power with backhanded smash than i get with a forehand one