OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2019, 03:08 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Goodness gracious - how many different rubbers do you need at a given time? :lol:

Iskandar

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2019, 12:07 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
iskandar taib wrote:
Goodness gracious - how many different rubbers do you need at a given time? :lol:

Iskandar

I know right ? :whew: :D :lol:

I have gotten over match jitters and I am comfortable playing at tournaments. I have now developed a new problem of facing receives when at 8-x , 9-9, 10-x. :headbang: I never used to have a problem fighting to get to 10-10 or go 11-9 / 11-8 etc. Why is it a problem suddenly NOW ? I get nervous at the end of the game. |( |-) Anyways that is a problem for a different day.

Right now, the different rubbers help with different aspects of my gameplay. Hence my using the term "training" rubbers.

For FH looping, I pick and choose rubbers that DON'T work well for smashing .... but produce decent amount of either spin or speed but not extreme amounts. I request Pips-Out players for some practice sessions to get the FH basics and advanced looping drilled in .... and I try to ADD spin or speed or a combination that can land on the table. I forcefully try to get more out of each stroke, push when I not confident enough to lift the ball. Based on the error-rates and where the ball clears the net, I can judge if the loop action is good enough or not.

There is a lot of failures before success becomes apparent. This is how I figured out Yasaka Shining Dragon 100% suited by gameplay. Yasaka Rising Dragon was more of a "training" rubber. YSD was the competitive edge I needed.

But still I need to learn to spin even more explosively. My FH strokes are not "good enough" compared to higher level players.

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2019, 12:57 
Super User

You know, if you didn't try so many rubbers, you could have stocked enough YSD for a few years :lol: .

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2019, 14:44 
Super User

lasta wrote:
You know, if you didn't try so many rubbers, you could have stocked enough YSD for a few years :lol: .

At 800 INR for TWO rubbers Yinhe9000 and 900 INR for TWO rubbers 729SuperFX or 729-OEM or 729-02 ..... I couldnt have even bought ONE Yasaka Shining Dragon which is 2600 INR .... so far I got like ....

6 729 rubbers ( 2x 729-SuperFX, 2x 729-OEM ( black rubber / blue sponge ) , 2x 729-02 )

that is for the price of about 2 YSDs ! Again ... training rubbers .... over 2 to 3 years ... I have gone through all of them now ... I have bought 2 pairs of YSD and 2 pairs of YRD .... 1 pair of each is both gone :-P This was early stock ... so durability problem / manufacturing defects ... ( Yasaka REPLACED 1 YRD !!!! topsheet separation inside sealed packet ... you wont get that from the Chinese!) ...

I am an EJ ! :lol: for the prices being quoted ... I HARDLY went nuts buying tons of expensive rubbers! :?: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

RakzaX <--- gifted by a friend :-D , Palio Thors I bought on a whim

pair of Rakza7 <--- VERY recent ... like 2 or 3 months back :lol:

Xiom Vega Asia <--- see above :lol: :lol: :lol:

Xiom Omega V Asia <---- seeeee aaaaboooooove :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lol: ( still unopened in new packet )

NEW 1 pair of YSD and 1 YRD <------ ;) :^) :?: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :D :D unopened as of yet ... I dont want to waste these rubbers :lol: :lol: :lol:

So you can see, the EJ is VERY VERY STRONG inside me :-D

:D :whew: :lol: :lol: :lol: RIP Bank Account :-D :lol:

• TSP Versal :
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)

PostPosted: 02 May 2019, 02:03 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

man_iii wrote:

At 800 INR for TWO rubbers Yinhe9000

You're paying too much.. :lol:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2x-Gala ... 53505.html

Iskandar

PostPosted: 02 May 2019, 08:12 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
man_iii wrote:

At 800 INR for TWO rubbers Yinhe9000

You're paying too much.. :lol:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2x-Gala ... 53505.html

Iskandar

And both of the rubbers are now delaminated and topsheet separated.

I have reused the old YRD + "Pink"-sponge 729 SuperFX .... YRD topsheet looking more more likely to separate ...

So far, Dawei ??844-1??D, Yinhe9000, YRD have not survived continuous re-glueing on blades.

729, YSD, mostly DHS H3 / H2 / H3N / TG2N , Palio Thors, survived the re-glueings.

Recently forced to switch glues to Butterfly FreeChack-II ... let us say NOT WORTH THE PRICE. It just doesn't have the holding power like DHS No.15 glue ... or my own combo of FineZip + Stiga Optimum + Andro VOC-free glue ... secret sauce and all that :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• TSP Versal :
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)

PostPosted: 02 May 2019, 08:31 
Super User

Several weeks of illness and poor health put an end to my FH power tests. Shoulder has started acting up so I have eased back from attempted "power" loops.

1. Chinese rubbers that are mostly slow tend to lose their high-spin properties as well. Always re-glue with some short-term or long-term boosters to keep it fast and high-spin as possible. ( Not practical for me ... so I have stopped boosting training rubbers )

2. YSD or Rakza7/X on FH and Palio Thors or H3Neo on BH ... There isn't much out there that feels comfortable enough.

3. Short-block, push /cut still very difficult to keep extremely short.

Actions to increase power on FH:

I am going to try out :

a) Wrist-flicks/forearm-rotation for either FH or BH ... use body only for mid- or far- table returns with compact strokes and mid-table bounce returns.

b) Thinnest brush on the ball, complete closed racket angle from start to finish, counter-loops and no loop-drives.

c) Push with lift outside table, cut with sudden stop inside table.

d) Outside table blocks without changing closed racket angle ... I think I have to start fishing if ball is too deep or dips too low.

Lets see how all this works out ... Will I prevent injury and find some new higher plateau for my FH loops.

• TSP Versal :
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)

PostPosted: 04 May 2019, 03:50 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

man_iii wrote:
And both of the rubbers are now delaminated and topsheet separated.

I have reused the old YRD + "Pink"-sponge 729 SuperFX .... YRD topsheet looking more more likely to separate ...

So far, Dawei ??844-1??D, Yinhe9000, YRD have not survived continuous re-glueing on blades.

729, YSD, mostly DHS H3 / H2 / H3N / TG2N , Palio Thors, survived the re-glueings.

Recently forced to switch glues to Butterfly FreeChack-II ... let us say NOT WORTH THE PRICE. It just doesn't have the holding power like DHS No.15 glue ... or my own combo of FineZip + Stiga Optimum + Andro VOC-free glue ... secret sauce and all that :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You've GOT to be doing something wrong. If you're constantly moving rubbers around from blade to blade that's probably what it is. I don't know what the Japanese and Germans use to glue on the topsheets to the sponge, but whatever it is, you'll destroy the rubber before you can get them to separate (supposedly boiling works..). What the Chinese use is something else altogether - even then, though, I can count the sheets that actually separated whilst on the bat on the fingers of one hand. A couple sat in the bag for 2-3 years, and a couple were sheets of KTL Something Star (the one with the two layer sponge) which separated about a week after I put them on. I did have sheets of Corbor and 868 separate while in the packet, after I kept them in the pile for maybe 3-4 years.

Why are you using water based glue at all? Do you play where they sniff your rubber with a VOC meter? Can you not get Elmer's Rubber Cement at all?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 07 May 2019, 04:42 
Super User

I most definitely agree with you on the topsheet separation on Yasaka Rising Dragon problem. I tend to move rubbers around a LOT! So far, the recent spate of Chinese and YRD and Palio rubbers have NOT survived my removing and re-glueing done so far Dawei and the Yinhe 9000 especially bad :headbang:

What has survived is Yasaka Rakza 7/9/X and to some degree Shining Dragon, Xiom Omega V Tour , Xiom Vega Asia , obviously all my 729 rubbers , DHS H3 / H3N / H2 / TG2Neo , one TSP Spectol :-D , Palio Thors, and some other rubbers I fail to recollect.

Normally I will add Acetone drop-by-drop under the glue layer on the wood surface which will wick the acetone and help easily lift the rubber sheet glue and all off the wood. If there is PU varnish the acetone will cosmetically react and create white streaks ... doesn't affect anything ... just re-sand and clean ... apply fresh glue and re-glue the rubber to the blade.

Recently :@ :swear: I stopped doing the above and have been very very impatient and been ripping the sheets off and re-glueing :@ :swear: :rofl: :lol: :lol: :devil: :devil: :devil:

So it is my own stupidity of not following my own advice that are destroying these "fragile" sheets :P |( :?: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :cash: :@ :@ :@

So Acetone -> YRD removal is MUST! :lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl:

• TSP Versal :
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)

Last edited by man_iii on 07 May 2019, 04:50, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 07 May 2019, 04:48 
Super User

And on the note of WHY I use WBG glue, it is because of my constant changing the Blade + Rubber combo :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like I may have mentioned before somewhere :lol: I have different categorization and reason for owning each blade ;) :P :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1. Training Rubber , Training Blade.

2. Blocking Rubber, Blocking Blade.

3. All-Round Rubber, All-Round Blade.

4. Off+++ Rubber, OFF++++ Blade :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5. J-Pen blade :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

6. SP Rubber, no idea why I have this :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

IMAGINE! HOW MANY PERMUTATION / COMBINATIONS I CAN DO ! :devil: :devil: :devil:

With Rubber cement I am sure to destroy either rubber or blade while trying to remove ;( :whew: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl:

• TSP Versal :
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)

PostPosted: 07 May 2019, 12:52 
Super User

Actually rubber cement is much easier to remove that WBG.

Try to mixed method, WBG on sponge and rubber cement/speed glue on blade.

I've done that for years, never splinters, blade is pretty much clean.

PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 06:24 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

man_iii wrote:
With Rubber cement I am sure to destroy either rubber or blade while trying to remove ;( :whew: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl:

WHAT??? Whereever did you get THIS idea?????? Actually, rubber cement is FAR BETTER when it comes to removing rubber than water based cements are. You NEVER heard of peeling blades before this water-based glue business got started.

Mind you, "rubber cement" means actual RUBBER CEMENT. Like the stuff Elmer's sells. It's meant for TEMPORARILY gluing paper onto paper when doing magazine page layups (which people used to do manually before the likes of Pagemaker came along). It does NOT mean shoe glue, formica countertop glue, tire repair glue, or the yellow tube UHU glue. This stuff.

By the way, try Ronson lighter fluid instead of acetone for removing rubber. Works better and faster.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2020, 13:24 
Super User

A minor update regarding the weather, health, learnings, new blade vs old blade, new harder rubbers vs old rubbers, Chinese vs Euro rubber combos, etc :lol: :lol: :lol:

1. I have gained even more weight :envy: this was after a very painful impacted wisdom tooth extraction followed by several months of wallowing and on-again-off-again exercising. I am now facing inner knee problems on the left-leg ... when I rotate the knee+hip to change lateral direction from BH-corner to move to the FH side .... there is a lot of pain ... so knee braces and lots of stretching and icing and hotpacking :headbang: I have no one to blame but myself ... hopefully this year I will work out more floor exercises ( mountain climbers, plank, plank-to-push-ups, side-planks, lunges, reverse-lunges ) ... I am fairly confident that I can do 100-squats in 2 mins and 100-situps in 2 mins within 3 months ... :punch: :puke: :muscle:

2. This is the more rainy and colder weather season ... and I am feeling the difference while other players don't seem to suffer as much ... I really really need to figure out how to improve the quality of my stroke, techniques and finesse to a really high level of consistency, efficiency and performance :sweat: it is going to be tough as hell ... there is no other way except to play very aggressively and almost no blocking, no more than 1 or 2 short-push at the table, heavy spin serves, mid- to far- table rallies, .... basically everything I am going to be sucking at for the next 6 months :topspin: this will be my Naruto Shadow Clone Jutsu training in the forest from the forbidden sealed scroll :-P Either I succeed or DIE trying :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3. My FH Topspin is improved compared to 1 year back. The problem is my move to Euro rubbers has meant that I am dropping the power on my strokes ( trying to brush too thin ) without any kind of guidance or help ... I have found some players to watch so that I can figure this stuff out ... will it work or not ... I will have to try out and update here ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. New blade DHS Power-G-13. DHS PG13 is them Uno-axial Carbon blades, I once swore not to buy it .... but now I have and I am starting to use it ... :rofl: ... boy the reviews are Dead-On ! Too fast to be called an All-Wood blade, too slow to be called a Carbon-composite blade , Neither All-Rounder, Neither Defender, Neither Attacker, Neither Smasher, Neither Looper, Neither Loop-Driver, No One LiKEs this blade !!!! BUT I AM LOVING IT :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I feel this blade is in my exact sweet spot of not being too fast , not too slow, not too flexi, not too rigid, not too carbony , not too woody :clap: :clap: :clap: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol: :lol: More updates on this blade in some other future post 8)

5. For the plastic ball, manufacturers are making rubbers harder than normal, and I feel this is perhaps a poorly planned trend, not the right way to improve equipment. I have found that so far harder rubbers means WE HAVE TO USE BOOSTERS .... ;( NO CHOICE .... and manufacturers are making THINNER TopSheets to go with the harder sponge :@ ... which for me has the effect of either ball shoots off too fast ... or too thin a stroke FAILS to loop the ball over the net ...... LESS MARGIN FOR ERROR :@ .... this is bad ... I have to keep hunting for the older version rubbers which are not affected this way ... making it a difficult trend to accept ... Yasaka Shining Dragon , Rising Dragon, Rakza7 and some extent Rakza9/ RakzaX have been contrary to this trend.... much more forgiving in nature better to play with despite the ball material changes.

6. I have GEWO Hype XT 50 Pro and Stiga Mantra M rubbers that I am yet to try out. Not at all confident how it will play. So for now I am just shuffling the TG2Neo / H2 orig/ H3 orig off to cold-storage and going with Jupiter II Prov ,Xiom Vega Asia, Xiom OmegaV Asia, Rakza7, RakzaX, Palio Thors. The H3/H2 / TG2N are wearing out their topsheets a lot faster than I expected ... I have 729 rubbers still going strong ... though 1 or 2 oldest rubbers of that lot have now died torn splitted delaminated. Palio Thors and Yinhe Jupiter II both are moderately affected by humidity and moist conditions ... definitely temp and moisture sensitive looks like. RakzaX has been the best rubber so far in moist / cold conditions, Rakza9 slightly affected, Rakza7 severe moisture problems. Xiom rubbers I haven't made them my daily drivers so will update comments on that later here.

7. IMHO Chinese rubbers with Japanese sponge seems to be the way to go for the plastic ball era. Supple not too thick or too thin topsheet backed with almost spring sponge with less catapult and extremely tiny pores but not cake sponge dense, tall pimples but what variety ? conical? trapezoid ? hourglass ? can't figure that much out yet :lol: combined with the respective hardness blades. Hard sponge -> hard blade, mid-sponge -> mid- slight flex blade, soft-sponge -> flexi soft blade. Again all IMHO and YMMV :lol:

8. My FH technique has been to do the Brett Whip it Good Tibetan drum thingy :lol: but using varying contact on the racket, I can perform the same stroke ranging from over-the-table, near-table, mid-table, far-table and land the topspin loop on nearly the exact same spot on the other side. All contact-points for topspin has to be the bottom/lower half of the racket, ranging from nearer to the centre from the racket handle for over/near/mid-table loops, moving towards the head of the racket with far-from-the-table loops.
If there is any other method of controlling the same power/stroke/technique for all distances I would welcome all advice contributions to overcoming my difficulties. So this year I will be focused on getting this right.

So New Years 2020 resolutions, lose weight, gain fitness, blast FH topspins, learn/unlearn/relearn combining all the FH/BH strokes, get much more consistent/efficient/powerful, start playing in Mens and Veteran matches :clap:

:party: :up: Thanks to each and everyone of you guys whose advice and comments keep me going strong and motivated ! Happy New Year 2020 and I hope everyone has their dreams come true. Peace Out!

• TSP Versal :
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2020, 15:38 

Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao II
FH: DHS Hurricane III NEO Pro
BH: Nittaku FastArc-G1
Let’s see some videos of your progress!?

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2020, 21:30 
Super User

Alas wrote:
Let’s see some videos of your progress!?
Hahaha I'm a little camera shy. Will arrange a quiet weekend to record. :-P

• TSP Versal :
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)